- Volume 17 Issue 4
This study describes visiting caregivers' perceptions and reporting of elder abuse. From January 13 to February 10, 2014, data were collected from 249 visiting caregivers working at homes by using a structured questionnaire. The caregivers' perceptions of abuse were high overall. Physical abuse was the most common type, followed by financial, verbal, negligence, and emotional abuse. Most visitors recognized that it is important to require reporting for the prevention of elder abuse, but most of them had no experience with reporting abuse, and the agencies that they knew were mostly the police. A majority of the visiting caregivers had attended an elder abuse program and recognized the importance of such programs. The caregivers hoped that the programs would have specific examples of how to deal with elder abuse and family counseling methods, and other practical content for their work. Programs should focus on coping with individual cases, proper counseling methods, and awareness of elder abuse.
Abuse perception;Abuse report;Education;Elder abuse;Visiting caregiver
- Statistics Korea, Long - Term Care Insurance statistics: expertise into long-term care institutions 2014, Available From: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=350&tblId=DT_35006_N022&vw_cd=MT_OTITLE&list_id=350_35006_A004&seqNo=&lang_mode=ko&language=kor&obj_var_id=&itm_id=&conn_path=K2 (accessed Apr., 24, 2015)
- National Health Insurance, Information, Available From: http://www.nhis.or.kr/wbdy/retriveWbdy01.xx (accessed May, 27, 2015)
- H. K. Choi, "A Comparative Study on Perceptions and Expectations of Families and Care Workers on Elder Care Services in Nursing Facilities", Family and Culture, 22(4), pp. 1-31, 2010.
- S. D. Park, O. H. Lee, S. Y. Myoung, S. M. Park, Elderly Welfare. p.10-366, Samwoosa Publishers, 2007.
- H. K. Han, "A Study on Sources of Improperness of Elder Abuse Reporting and Service Delivery Systems: Content Analysis of Experts' Perceptions", Journal of Korean Gerontological Society, 26(4), pp. 767-783, 2006.
- H. K. Choi, "A Study on Factors affecting Burnout of Staffs Taking care of Elders in Mursing Facilities", Journal of Korean Gerontological Society, 28(1), pp. 157-176, 2008.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. elder abuse Report 2011, Available From: http://stat.mohw.go.kr/front/statData/publicationView.jsp?menuId=41&bbsSeq=7&nttSeq=18800&searchKey=&searchWord=&nPage=1 (accessed Jan., 15, 2014)
- Korea Ministry of Government Legislation, Elderly Welfare Law; Elder Abuse Reporting Requirements and Procedures, etc(6 Article 39), Available From: http://www.law.go.kr/lsSc.do?menuId=0&subMenu=1&query=%EB%85%B8%EC%9D%B8%EB%B3%B5%EC%A7%80%EB%B2%95#undefined (accessed Jan., 15, 2014)
- W. H. Cho, "Effect of the Resdent's Human Rights on Abuse-drivr Conditions to Staffs in Nursing Home for Elderly", Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 41, pp. 429-450, 2008.
- D. S. Son, "A Study on the Influence Factors the Attitude toward Human Rights of Certified Caregivers", Journal of Welfare for the Aged, 48, pp. 299-322, 2010.
- A. J. Gil, "A Study on the Identity of Care Workers' Caring Rol", Dept. of Social Welfare Graduate School of Seonam University, 2015.
- E. J. Kim, E. S. Lee, K. M. Park, "A Study on Nurses' Perception of Elder Abuse", Keimyung Journal of Nursing Science, 18(2), pp. 29-37, 2014.
- B. H. Lim, "Studies on Elder Abuse Perception related to Social characteristics", Dept. of Social Welfare Graduate School of Chung-Ang University, 2001.
- H. J. Kim, "Knowledge of ED Nurses on Child Abuse", Graduate School of Nursing, Yonsei University, 2008.
- Y. S. Lee, A. L. Moon, C. Gomez, "Elder Mistreatment, Culture and Help-Seeking: A Cross-Cultural Comparison of Older Chinese and Korean Immigrants", Journal of Elder Abuse & Neglect, 26(3), pp. 244-269, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08946566.2013.820656 https://doi.org/10.1080/08946566.2013.820656
- J. L. Krienert, J. A. Walsh, M. Turner, " Elderly in America: A Descriptive Study of Elder Abuse Examining National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS) Data, 2000-2005", Journal of elder abuse & neglect, 21(4), pp. 325-345, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08946560903005042 https://doi.org/10.1080/08946560903005042
- B. Friedman, E. J. Santos, D. V. Liebel, A. J. Russ, Y. Conwell, "Longitudinal Prevalence and Correlates of Elder Mistreatment Among Older Adults Receiving Home Visiting Nursing", Journal of Elder Abuse & Neglect, 27(1), pp. 34-64. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08946566.2014.946193 https://doi.org/10.1080/08946566.2014.946193
- P. Amanda, International perspectives on elder abuse, p.8-235, Abingdon, Oxon; New York: Routledge, 2013.
- K. J. Kwon, S. Y. Lee, T. J. Park, "Analysis on Elder Abuse of the Korea Elderly Long-term Care Hospital", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 17(1), pp. 553-560, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.1.553 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.1.553
- Y. S. Park, E. J. Park. "A Study on the Plans for Countermeasure Research against Elderly Abuse to Improve the Elderly's Human Rights", The Human Rights Wlefare institute of Korea, 17, pp. 133-149, 2015.
- A. Sandmoe, M. Kirkevold, "Nurses' clinical assessments of older clients who are suspected victims of abuse: An exploratory study in community care in Norway", Journal of Clinical Nursing, 20(1-2), pp. 94-102, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2010.03483.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2010.03483.x
- S. K. Jung, "A research for reporter recognition level of Elder Abuse of responsible person and counter move behavior", Graduate school of Social Welfare, Silla University, 2007.
- K. J. Kwon, "The Study on Mandatory Reporting of Elder Abuse", Social Work Practice & Research, 12(1), pp. 39-64, 2015.
- S. S. So, "Attitude to Elderly Human Rights and Occupational Awareness of Long-Term Care Givers", Global Health Nursing, 4(2), pp. 59-67, 2014.
- Y. S. Lee, K. H. Woo, "Human Rights of the Elderly and Elder Abuse from the Perspective of the Home Care Workers", Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 33(1), pp. 85-103, 2013.
- H. M. Bang, "A Study on the Factors Influencing the Perception of Elder Abuse: Focused on Mandatory Reporters", Korean Policy Sciences Review, 13(1), pp. 211-234, 2009.
- K. K. Kim, "Development of a Web-based Education Program for Nurses working in Nursing Homes on Human Rights of Older Adults", Journal Korean Academy Nursing, 40(4), pp. 463-472, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.4.463 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.4.463