- Volume 29 Issue 1
Isopods are parasitic crustaceans that pose serious threat to fisheries. Several studies have tried to explore the host-pathogen relationship between marine fishes and isopods. The present study aims to understanding the secondary infections in marine fishes pertaining to isopods. To assess the secondary infection in infected fishes, parasite infested and healthy tissues of fishes were collected. The samples were subjected to standard microbiological procedure to identify the presence of pathogenic bacteria and fungi. Our results showed the branchial region had the higher microbial load of non-sporulating cenocytic fungi in infected fishes. Moreover, fungal strains isolated from the parasitic lesion confirmed that the parasitation and body lesion facilitates the entry of several pathogenic microbes at the damaged host tissue. More over the immune regulation of fish fights back by producing minute cysts, trying to encapsulate the growing fungus. But this may eventually lead to systemic infestation and death of the fish.
Isopod parasites;Marine fishes;Secondary microbial infection;Cymothoids
- Cusack, R. and Cone, D.K.. A report of bacteria microcolonies on the surface of Gyrodactylus (Monogenea). J. Fish Dis. 8: 125-127, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2761.1985.tb01193.x
- Clayton, R.D., Stevenson, TL. and Summerfelt, R.C.:Fin erosion in intensively cultured walleyes and hybrid walleyes. Prog. Fish Cult. 60: 114-118, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8640(1998)060<0114:FEIICW>2.0.CO;2
- Froese, R. and Pauly, D. FishBase: World Wide Web Electronic Publication: Available from. http://www.Fishbase.org/ver.(6/2010): Accessed June, 2010.
- Mohan, C.V. and Shankar, K.M.: Epidemiological analysis of epizootic ulcerative syndrome of fresh and brackish water fishes of Karnataka. India Curr. Sci. 66: 656-658, 1994.
- Ranjit Singh, A.J.A. and Padmalatha, C.: Parasitic infestation on commercially important sardines. Curr. Sci. 7: 171, 1997.
- Ravichandran, S., Ranjithsingh, A.J.A. and Veerappan, N.: Parasite induced vibriosis in Chirocentrusdorab off Parangipettai coastal waters. Curr. Sci. 80(5): 101-102, 2001.
- Ravichandran, S., Rajkumar, M. and Nirmala, S.: Histopathology of the infestation of parasitic isopod Jorymatartoor in the host fish Ilishamelastoma. Aqu. Biol. Aqu. 9-12, 2008.
- Ravichandran, S., Rameshkumar, G., Mahesh Babu, B. and Kumaravel, K.: Infestation of Rastrelligerkanagurta with cymothoid isopod Jorymabrachysoma in the Colachel environment of Southwest coast of India. J. Fish Mar. Sci. 1(2): 80-84, 2009.
- Simudu, V. and Tsummoto, K.: Habitat segregation and biochemical activities of marine members of the family vibrionaceae. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 180: 781-790, 1985.
- Vismanis. K. and Kondratovics, E.: The parasites and disease of the Baltic cod.: Proceeding of the 13th Baltic Marine Biologists Symposium Jurmala, Sept. 4-31 Latvia USA 211-214, 1997.