- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Potential use of Bacillus amyloliquefaciens as a probiotic bacterium in abalone culture
북방전복, Haliotis discus hannai 에 대한 Bacillus amyloliquefaciens의 probiotic 효과
- Received : 2015.08.06
- Accepted : 2015.11.10
- Published : 2016.04.30
In comparison to the numbers of such studies of fish, few studies have been carried out on the immunity, physiology and ecology of abalone, while studies on abalone disease are also extremely rare. Moreover, mass mortality of cultured abalone due to pathogenic bacteria has not been reported in the southern coast of Korea. However, Vibrio-like bacteria have been isolated from dead abalone, which indicates that a review is required in order to determine the cause of abalone mortality. Use of an antimicrobial agent to minimize the damage caused by disease in abalone farms is common, but the therapeutic effects are insignificant. Demand for probiotics has increased, but research on the development of probiotics for use in abalone culture is very rare. Therefore, the present study isolated KC16-2 from fermented kimchi soup and investigated the characteristics of the isolate as a candidate probiotic bacterium in abalone. KC16-2 was identified as Bacillus amyloliquefaciens (B. amyloliquefaciens KC16-2) based on its biochemical properties and 16S rRNA gene sequence. B. amyloliquefaciens KC16-2 showed inhibitory effects against the growth of various vibrios in vitro, and kept the numbers constant until four days after inoculation in marine water at a temperature of
Abalone;Probiotics;Bacillus amyloliquefaciens;Vibrio tubiashii
- Raida, M., Nielsen, M. E. and Buchmann, K.: Enhanced resistance of rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum), against Yersinia ruckeri challenge following oral administration of Bacillus subtilis and B. licheniformis (BioPlus2B). Journal of Fish Diseases 26(8): 495-498, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2761.2003.00480.x
- ten Doeschate, K. I. and Coyne, V. E.: Improved growth rate in farmed Haliotis midae through probiotic treatment. Aquaculture 284(1-4): 174-179, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2008.07.018
- Tomoo, S., Sahoko, I., Youhei, F., Kaoru, Y., Yutaka, N. and Hiroki, M.: Mass mortality of japanese abalone Haliotis discus hannai caused by Vibrio harveyi infection. Microbes and Environments 22: 300-308, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1264/jsme2.22.300
- Verschuere, L., Rombaut, G., Sorgeloos, P. and Verstraete, W.: Probiotic bacteria as biological control agents in aquaculture. Microbiology and molecular biology reviews 64(4): 655-671, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1128/MMBR.64.4.655-671.2000
- Walker, D. K. and Gilliland, S. E.: Relationships among bile tolerance, bile salt deconjugation and assimilation of cholesterol by Lactobacillus acidophilus. Journal of Dairy Science 76(4): 956-961, 1993. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(93)77422-6
- Weisburg, W. G. Barns, S. M., Pelletier, D. A. and Lane, D. J.: 16S ribosomal DNA amplification for phylogenetic study. Journal of Bacteriology, 173, 697-703, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1128/jb.173.2.697-703.1991
- Ziaei-Nejad, S., Rezaei, M. H., Takami, G. A., Lovett, D. L. and Mirvaghefi, A. R.: The effect of Bacillus spp. bacteria used as probiotics on digestive enzyme activity, survival and growth in the Indian white shrimp Fenneropenaeus indicus. Aquaculture 252 (2): 516-524, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aquaculture.2005.07.021
- 국립수산진흥원: 건강어류 생산을 위한 어병예방 및 치료대책, 2000.
- 김병학, 박민우, 손맹현, 김태익, 명정인: 해상가두리 및 실내 육상수조에서 북방전복, Haliotis discus hannai 치패의 적정 수용밀도에 관한 연구. 한국패류학회지, 29(3), 189-195, 2013.
- 박철지, 남원식, 이정호, 노재구, 김현철, 박종원, 황인준, 김성연: 북방전복(Haliotis discus hannai)의 mitochondrial DNA 영역별 유전적 변이성 분석. 한국패류학회지, 29(4), 335-341, 2013.
- 신세연: 해양 생물 유래 Bacillus 균주의 계통 관계 및 생리화학적 특성 분석. 순천대학교 교육대학원. 순천, 2013.
- 이민영, 김은희: Candidate probiotic bacteria의 어류병원성 Streptococus sp. 성장에 대한 억제 효과. 한국어병학회지, 27, 107-114, 2014.
- 한국과학기술연구원: Probiotics의 연구개발 동향, 2006.
- 한석중: 전복양식. 도서출판 구덕. 부산, 1998.
- Bagheri, T., Hedayati, S. A., Yavari, V., Alizade, M. and Farzanfar, A.: Growth, survival and gut microbial load of rainbow trout (Onchorhynchus mykiss) fry given diet supplemented with probiotic during the two months of first feeding. Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 8(1): 43-48, 2008.
- Balcazar, J. L., de Blas, I., Ruiz-Zarzuela, I., Cunningham, D., Vendrell, D. and Muzquiz, J. L.: The role of probiotics in aquaculture. Veterinary microbiology 114(3): 173-186, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetmic.2006.01.009
- Banerjee, S., Devaraja, T. N., Shariff, M. and Yusoff, F. M.: Comparison of four antibiotics with indigenous marine Bacillus spp. in controlling pathogenic bacteria from shrimp and artemia. J. Fish Dis. 30, 383-389, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2761.2007.00819.x
- Ghosh, K., Sen, S. K. and Ray, A. K.: Characterization of Bacilli isolated from the gut of rohu, Labeo rohita, fingerlings and its significance in digestion. Journal of Applied Aquaculture 12(3): 33-42, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1300/J028v12n03_04
- Hovda, M. B., Sivertsvik, M., ToreLunestad, B., Lorentzen, G. and Rosnes, J. T.: Characterisation of the dominant bacterial population in modified atmosphere packaged farmed halibut (Hippoglossus hippoglossus) based on 16S rDNA-DGGE. Food microbiology 24(4): 362-371, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2006.07.018
- Iehata, S., Inagaki, T., Okunishi, S., Nakano, M., Tanaka, R. and Maeda, H.: Colonization and probiotic effects of lactic acid bacteria in the gut of the abalone Haliotis gigantea. Fisheries Science 75(5): 1285-1293, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12562-009-0138-5
- Kennedy, B. S., Tucker Jr, J. W., Neidig, C. L., Vermeer, G. K., Cooper, V. R., Jarrell, J. L. and Sennett, D. G.: Bacterial management strategies for stock enhancement of warmwater marine fish: a case study with common snook (Centropomus undecimalis). Bulletin of Marine Science 62(2): 573-588, 1998.
- KNSO: KOSIS Statistical DB. Korea National Statistical Office, Daegeon, Korea, 2013.
- Liu, P. C., Chen, Y. C., Huang, C. Y., Lee, K. K.: Virulence of Vibrio parahaemolyticus isolated from cultured small abalone, Haliotis diversicolor supertexta, with withering syndrome. Letters in applied microbiology 31(6): 433-437, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2672.2000.00843.x
- Macey, B. M. and Coyne, V. E.: Improved growth rate and disease resistance in farmed Haliotis midae through probiotic treatment. Aquaculture 245(1-4): 249-261, 2004.
- Macey, B. M. and Coyne, V. E.: Colonization of the gastrointestinal tract of the farmed south african abalone Haliotis midae by the probionts Vibrio midae SY9, Cryptococcus sp. SS1, and Debaryomyces hansenii AY1. Marine Biotechnology 8(3): 246-259, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10126-005-0113-9