- Volume 10 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Monte Carlo Study of Secondary Electron Production from Gold Nanoparticle in Kilovoltage and Megavoltage X-rays
몬테칼로 기법을 이용한 금 나노입자에서의 2차 전자 발생 평가
Hwang, Chul-Hwan;Kang, Se-Sik;Kim, Jung-Hoon
- Received : 2016.02.18
- Accepted : 2016.04.25
- Published : 2016.04.30
This study investigated relationship between secondary electrons produced from single gold nanoparticle as a result of its interaction with radiation and particle size and incidence energy, provided basic data related to the dose enhancement effect based on gold nanoparticles. Monte Carlo simulation was applied by using MCNPX MC code, 50, 100, 150 kV and 6, 15 MV x-ray energy was used. In a water phantom, single gold nanoparticles that are 30, 50, 70, 90, and 110 nm in diameter were placed and the tally volume was designated at every 10 nm. Difference in electrons produced from gold nanoparticles was normalized based on absence of nanoparticle. When the X ray energy decreased and the diameter of gold particles increased, more electrons were produced. When the energy was lower, in the linear formula related to nanoparticle size and electron production, the gradient was higher. And, in comparison to the MV X-ray, at kV X-ray, significantly more electrons were produced. This study can be used as data to understand the dose enhancement effect based on gold nanoparticles, and further research related to various materials that dose enhancement including gold nanoparticles needs to be conducted.
Gold nanoparticle;Dose enhancement;Monte Carlo
- L. Sim, A. Fielding, M. English, "Enhancement of biological effectiveness of radiotherapy treatments of protstate cancer cells in vitro using gold nanoparticle. Coogee Beach, Sydney", International Nanomedicine Conference. 2011.
- Faiz M. Khan, The physics of radiation therapy, Fourth edition, Wolters Kluwer Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- D. Regulla, E. Schmid, W. Friedland, "Enhanced values of the RBE and H ratio for cytogenetic effects induced by secondary electron from an X-irradiated glod surface", Radiation Research, Vol. 158, pp. 505-15, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1667/0033-7587(2002)158[0505:EVOTRA]2.0.CO;2
- P. Retif, S. Pinel, M. Toussaint, "Nanoparticle for radiation therapy enhancement: the key parameters", Theranostics, Vol. 5, pp. 1030-45, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7150/thno.11642
- W. Ngwa, H. Korideck, A. Kassis, "In vitro radiosensitization by gold nanoparticles during continuous low-dose-rate gamma irradiation with I-125 brachytherapy seeds", Nanomedicine, Vol. 9, pp. 25-7, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nano.2012.09.001
- G. Duc, I. Miladi, C. Alricl, "Toward an image-guided microbeam radiation therapy using gadolinium-based nanoparticle", ACS nano, Vol. 5, pp. 9566-74, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1021/nn202797h
- K. Sora, "Feasibility study on the use of gold nanoparticles as a dose enhancement agent for a superficial X-ray therapy applied to melanoma", Seoul national university gradudate school.
- S. Unezaki, K. Maruyama, J. I. Hosoda, "Direct measureemtn of the extravasation of polyethy- leneglycol-coated liposomes into solid tumor tissue by in vivo fluorescence microscopy", International Journal of Pharmaceutics, Vol. 144, pp. 11-17, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-5173(96)04674-1
- H. Maeda, J. Fang, T. Inutsuka, "Enhanced permeability and retention (EPR) effect for anticancer nanomedicine drug targeting", International Journal of Immunopharmacology, Vol. 3, pp. 319-328, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1567-5769(02)00271-0
- A. Mesbahi, F. Jamali, N. Gharehaghaji, "Effect of photon beam energy, gold nanoparticle size and concentration on the dose enhancement in radiation therapy" BioImpacts, Vol. 3, pp. 29-35, 2013.
- M. K. Leung, J. C. Chow, B. D. Chithrani, BD, "Irradiation of gold nanoparticles by X-rays: Monte Carlo simulation of dose enhancements and the spatial properties of the secondary electrons production", Medical Physics Vol. 38, pp. 624-631, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.3539623
- K. Cranley, B. J. Gilmore, G. Fogarty, IPEM Report 78, Catalogue of Diagnostic X-ray Spectra and Other Data. The Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine, 1997
- K. Cranley, B. Gilmore, G. Fogaty, Catalogue of Dia gnostic X-ray Spectra and Other data, Diagnostic Radiology and Magnetic Resonance Special Interest. Group of the Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine. 4-43, 1997.
- M. Asghar, F. Michael, A. Mahmoud, "Monte Carlocalculation of Varian 2300C/D Linac photon beam characteristics: a comparison between MCNP4C, GEANT3 and measurements", Applied Radiation and Isotopes, Vol. 62, pp. 467-77, 2005.
- J. Chow, M. Leung, D. Jaffray, "Monte carlo simulation on a gold nanoparticle irradiated by electron beams", Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 57, pp. 3323-31, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1088/0031-9155/57/11/3323
- K. M. Heo, J. B. Han, N. G. Choi, "Usefulness Evaluation on the Treatment Plan of Tomotherapy and VMAT in Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer", Journal of the Korean Society of Radiology, Vol. 9, No. 7, pp.449-457, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2015.9.7.449
- M. J. Kim, I. C. Im, J. S. Lee, S. M. Kang, "The Optimum of Respiratory Phase Using the Motion Range of the Diaphragm: Focus on Respiratory Gated Radiotherapy of Lung Cancer", Journal of the Korean Society of Radiology, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp.157-163, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2013.7.2.157
- J. E. Sardi, M. A. Boixadera , J. J. Sardi, "A critical overview of concurrent chemoradiotherapy in cervical cancer", Current Oncology Reports, Vol. 6, pp. 463-70, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11912-004-0077-3
- H .P. Kok, J. Crezee, N. A. Frankenl, "Quantifying the combined effect of radiation therapy and hyperthermia in terms of equivalent dose distributions", International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics, Vol. 88, pp.739-45, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2013.11.212
- A. Mesbabi, F. Jamali, N. Garehaghaji, "Effect of photon beam energy, gold nanoparticle size and concentration on the dose enhancement in radiation therapy" Bioimpacts, Vol. 3, pp. 29-35, 2013.
- K. Butterworth, S. Mcmacho, L. Taggart, "Radiosensitization by gold nanoparticles: effective at megavoltage energies and potential role of oxidative stress", Translational Cancer Research, Vol. 2, pp. 269-79, 2013.
- J. Hubbell, S. Seltzer: Tables of X-ray Mass Attenuation coefficients and mass energy-absorption coefficients from 1 keV to 20MeV for Elements Z=1-92 and 48 Additional Substances of Dosimetric Interest, National Institute of Standards and Technology, US Department of Commerce, Gaithersburg, MD 20899, 1996.
- K. Micheal, C. James, B. Devika, "Irradiation of gold nanoparticles by x-rays: Monte Carlo simulation of dose enhancements and the spatial properties of the secondary electron production", Medical. Physics. Vol. 38, pp. 624-631, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1118/1.3539623
- G. Jungfang, Y. Yuanshui, "Monte Carlo study of secondary electron production from gold nanoparticle in proton beam irradiation". International Journal of Cancer Therapy and Onology. Vol. 2, pp. 1-7, 2014