- Volume 25 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Development of a Flexibly-reconfigurable Roll Forming Apparatus for Curved Surface Forming
곡면성형을 위한 비정형롤판재성형 장비 개발
- Received : 2016.01.29
- Accepted : 2016.05.20
- Published : 2016.06.01
Sheet metals are often required to be formed into three dimensional curved shapes for use as skin structures. As a result various sheet metal forming methods, such as press die forming, stretch forming, and line heating have been used over the years in industrial production lines. Although they are extensively used in industry, these methods are not suitable for small quantity batch productions. Studies have been conducted to improve or replace these methods with plausible flexible forming technologies. As a part of these studies, we developed a new and more efficient forming device named flexibly-reconfigurable roll forming (FRRF). The current study presents the process development and experimental verification for the applicability of this device. To improve the efficiency of the FRRF apparatus, several hardware components were invented and a suitable operating program was developed using MFC of visual C++. The ways to make the FRRF apparatus fully functional are also described. Sheet metal was formed into three dimensional shapes using the FRRF apparatus and the final products are presented as evidence for the applicability of the developed device.
Flexible Forming Technology;Curved Surface;Sheet Metal Forming;Flexibly-reconfigurable Roll Forming
- Q. Zhang, Z. R, Wang, T. A. Dean, 2007, Multi-point Sandwich Forming of a Spherical Sector with Tool-shape Compensation, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 194, Issues 1-3, pp. 74~80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.04.002
- S. J. Yoon, D. Y. Yang, 2005, An Incremental Roll Forming Process for Manufacturing Doubly Curved Sheets Form General Quadrilateral Sheet Blanks with Enhanced Process Features, CIRP Ann. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 54, No. 1, pp. 221~224. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-8506(07)60088-2
- M. Li, Y. Liu, S. Su, G. Li, 1999, Multi-point Forming: A Flexible Manufacturing Method for a 3-D Surface Sheet, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 87, Issues 1-3, pp. 277~280. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(98)00364-1
- V. Paunoiu, P. Cekan, E. Gavan, D. Nicoara, 2008, Numerical Simulations in Reconfigurable Multipoint Forming, Int. J. Mater. Form., Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 181~184. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12289-008-0021-4
- J. W. Park, Y. B. Kim, J. Kim, K. H. Kim, B. S. Kang, 2013, Manufacturing of Architectural Skin-structure with a Double Curved Surface using Flexible Stretch Forming, Trans. Mater. Process., Vol. 22. No. 4, pp. 196~203. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.2013.22.4.196
- B. S. Kang, J. S. Yoon, 2013, Sheet Forming Apparatus with Flexible Rollers, KR Patent: 10-1309228.
- J. S. Yoon, S. E. Son, W. J. Song, J. Kim, B. S. Kang, 2013, Flexibly Roll Forming Technology for MultiCurved Sheet Metal Forming, Trans. Mater. Process., Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 243~249. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.2013.22.5.243
- S. E. Son, J. S. Yoon, J. Kim, B. S. Kang, 2014, Effect of Shape Design Variables on Flexibly-Reconfigurable Roll Forming of Multi-curved Sheet Metal, Trans. Mater. Process., Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 103~109. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.2014.23.2.103
- J. S. Yoon, S. E. Son, W. J. Song, J. Kim, B. S. Kang, 2014, Study on Flexibly-Reconfigurable Roll Forming Process for Multi-curved Surface of Sheet Metal, Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 1069~1074. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-014-0438-2
- T. Spalvins, 1991, Lubrication with Sputtered MoS2 Film: Principles, Operation, Limitations, NASA Technical Memorandum 105292.
- H. H. Kim, B. S. Kang, J. S. Yoon, 2014, Dieless Forming Apparatus, KR Patent: 10-1420588.
- S. E. Son, J. S. Yoon, H. H. Kim, J. Kim, B. S. Kang, 2016, Evaluation of Formability Dependent on Reconfigurable Roller Types for 3D Curved Sheet Forming, Trans. Mater. Process., Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 12~20. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.25.1.12
- J. S. Yoon, J. Kim, B. S. Kang, 2016, Deformation Analysis and Shape Prediction for Sheet Forming using Flexibly Reconfigurable Roll Forming, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 233, pp. 192~205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2016.02.005