- Volume 25 Issue 3
The exhaust tail pipe is the only visible part of the exhaust system on a vehicle. The conventional way to make the tail pipe is welding after stamping. There are various problems that occur during the stamping of stainless steel sheets such as scratching and local fracture. Problems during welding can also occur due to poor weldability. Tube hydroforming can be a solution, which eliminates these problems. The current study deals with the development of tube hydroforming for a vehicle tail pipe using finite element analysis for a free-feeding method. The current study focuses on the development of a proper load path for the tail pipe hydroforming and how bending influences the subsequent processing steps. The FE analysis results were compared with experimental results. This study shows the importance of bending and the necessity of considering bending when performing a tube hydroforming analysis.
Bending;Loading Path;Axial Feeding;Free Feeding;Buckling
- S. H. Zhang, 1999, Developments in Hydroforming, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 91, No. 1, pp. 236~244. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(98)00423-3
- S. M. Sohn, M. Y. Lee, S. Y. Lee, 2000, A Study on the Hydroforming Technology of an Automotive Bumper Rail, Trans. Mater. Process, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 561~566.
- H. Y. Kim, 2002, Hydroformig Process for Automotive Application, Trans. Mater. Process., Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 285~294. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSPP.2002.11.4.285
- F. K. Chen, S. J. Wang, R. H. Lin, 2007, A Study of Forming Pressure in the Tube-hydroforming Process, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol.192-193, pp. 404~409. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.04.094
- W. J. Song, S. C. Heo, J. Kim, B. S. Kang, 2006, Investigation on Preformed Shape Design to Improve Formability in Tube Hydroforming Process using FEM, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 177, No. 1, pp. 658~662. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.04.084
- S. T. Kim, S. E. Lim, T. K. Lee, Y. S. Kim, 2000, Experimental Studies of the Forming Process for the Tubular Hydroforming Technology, Trans. Mater. Process., Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 35~42.
- Yingyot A. U. L., G. Ngaile, T. Altan., 2004, Optimizing Tube Hydroforming Using Process Simulation and Experimental Verification, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 146, No. 1, pp. 137~143. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(03)00854-9
- A. Ghosh, K. Deshmukh, G. Ngaile, 2011, Database for Real-time Loading Path Prediction for Tube Hydroforming using Multidimensional Cubic Spline Interpolation, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 211, No. 1, pp. 150~166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2010.09.012
- S. S. Han, K. C. Park, 2000, Development of Formability Test for Tube, Hydroforming, Trans. Mater. Process, Vol. 9, No.6, pp. 631~637.