- Volume 25 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Powder Morphology on the Deposition Quality for Direct Laser Melting
Direct Laser Melting 공정시 분말 형태가 적층 품질에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2016.03.11
- Accepted : 2016.05.16
- Published : 2016.06.01
Direct laser melting(DLM) is an additive manufacturing process that can produce parts by solidification of molten metallic powder layer by layer. The properties of the fabricated parts strongly depend on characteristics of the metallic powder. Atomized powders having spherical morphology have commonly been used for DLM. Mechanical ball-milling is a powder processing technique that can provide non-spherical solid powders without melting. The aim of the current study was to investigate the effect of powder morphologies on the deposition quality in DLM. To characterize the morphological effect, the performances of spherical and non-spherical powders were compared using both single- and multi-track DLM experiments. DLM experiments were performed with various laser process parameters such as laser power and scan rate, and the deposition quality was evaluated. The surface roughness, cross-section bead shape and process defects such as balling or non-filled area were compared and discussed in this study.
Direct Laser Melting;Mechanical Ball Milling;Atomizing;Powder Morphology;Fiber Laser
- J. Y. Jeng, M. C. Lin, 2001, Mold Fabrication and Modification using Hybrid Processes of Selective Laser Cladding and Milling, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 110, No. 1, pp. 98~103. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(00)00850-5
- B. D. Joo, J. H. Jang, H. S. Yim, Y. H. Moon, 2009, Effect of Process Parameters on Forming Characteristics of Selective laser Sintered Fe-Ni-Cr Powder, Trans. Mater. Process., Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 262~267. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSPP.2009.18.3.262
- F. Abe, K. Osakada, m. Shiomi, K. Uematsu, M. Matsumo, 2001, The Manufacturing of Hard Tools from Metallic Powders by Selective Laser Melting, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 111, No. 1, pp. 210~213. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(01)00522-2
- I. Yadroitsev, L. Thivillon, Ph. Bertrand, I. Smurov, 2007, Strategy of Manufacturing Components with Designed Internal Structure by Selective Laser Melting of Metallic Powder, Appl. Surf. Sci, Vol. 254, No. 4, pp. 980~983. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2007.08.046
- M. Badrossamay, T. H. C. Childs, 2007, Further Studies in Selective Laser Melting of Stainless and Tool Steel Powders, Int J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol. 47, No. 5, pp. 779~784. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2006.09.013
- T. H. C. Childs, C. Hauser, 2005, Raster Scan Selective Laser Melting of the Surface Layer of a Tool Steel Powder Bed, Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng., B J. Eng. Manuf., Vol. 219, No. 4, pp. 379~384. https://doi.org/10.1243/095440505X32201
- J. H. Lee, J. H. Jang, B. D. Joo, H. S. Yim, Y. H. Moon, 2009, Application of Direct Laser Metal Tooling for AISI H13 Tool Steel, Trans. Nonferrous Met. Soc. China., Vol. 19, Suppl. 1, pp. s284~s287. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1003-6326(10)60286-5
- J. H. Jang, B. D. Joo, C. H. Jeon, Y. H. Moon, 2011, Characterization of the Deposited layer Obtained by Direct Laser Melting of Fe-Cr Based Metal Powder, Korean J. Met. Mater., Vol. 50, No.2, pp. 107~115.
- T. H. Kim, J. H. Jang. C. H. Jeon. Y. H. Moon, 2011, Effect of Process Parameters on Surface Roughness and Porosity of Direct Laser Melted Bead, Trans. Mater. Process., Vol. 20, No. 8, pp. 575~580. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.2011.20.8.575
- S. W. Han, W. J. Ji, Y. H. Moon, 2014, Fabrication of Gear Having Functionally Graded Properties by Direct Laser Melting Process, Adv. Mech. Eng., Vol. 2014, pp. 1~6.
- A. Simchi, 2006, Direct Laser Sintering of Metal Powder: Mechanism, Kinetics and Microstructural Features, Mater. Sci. Eng. A, Vol. 5, Part B, pp. 551~560.
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 부산대학교