- Volume 17 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Synergic identification of prestress force and moving load on prestressed concrete beam based on virtual distortion method
Xiang, Ziru;Chan, Tommy H.T.;Thambiratnam, David P.;Nguyen, Theanh
- 투고 : 2016.03.15
- 심사 : 2016.04.30
- 발행 : 2016.06.25
In a prestressed concrete bridge, the magnitude of the prestress force (PF) decreases with time. This unexpected loss can cause failure of a bridge which makes prestress force identification (PFI) critical to evaluate bridge safety. However, it has been difficult to identify the PF non-destructively. Although some research has shown the feasibility of vibration based methods in PFI, the requirement of having a determinate exciting force in these methods hinders applications onto in-service bridges. Ideally, it will be efficient if the normal traffic could be treated as an excitation, but the load caused by vehicles is difficult to measure. Hence it prompts the need to investigate whether PF and moving load could be identified together. This paper presents a synergic identification method to determine PF and moving load applied on a simply supported prestressed concrete beam via the dynamic responses caused by this unknown moving load. This method consists of three parts: (i) the PF is transformed into an external pseudo-load localized in each beam element via virtual distortion method (VDM); (ii) then these pseudo-loads are identified simultaneously with the moving load via Duhamel Integral; (iii) the time consuming problem during the inversion of Duhamel Integral is overcome by the load-shape function (LSF). The method is examined against different cases of PFs, vehicle speeds and noise levels by means of simulations. Results show that this method attains a good degree of accuracy and efficiency, as well as robustness to noise.
prestress force identification (PFI);moving load identification;synergic identification;virtual distortion method (VDM)
- AASHTO (1998), Bridge Design Specifications, American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, Washington, DC, USA.
- Abraham, M.A., Park, S. and Stubbs, N. (1995), "Loss of prestress prediction based on nondestructive damage location algorithms", Smart Structures & Materials' 95, San Diego, USA, February.
- Burgoyne, C. and Scantlebury, R. (2006), Why Did Palau Bridge Collapse?, The Structural Engineer, June.
- Chan, T.H. and Yung, T. (2000), "A theoretical study of force identification using prestressed concrete bridges", Eng. Struct., 22, 1529-1537. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(99)00087-5
- Chan, T.H.T., Yu, L., Law, S.S. and Yung, T.H. (2001), "Moving force identification studies, I: Theory", J. Sound. Vib., 247, 59-76. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.2001.3630
- Jacquelin, E., Bennani, A. and Hamelin, P. (2003), "Force reconstruction: analysis and regularization of a deconvolution problem", J. Sound. Vib., 265, 81-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-460X(02)01441-4
- Kim, J.T., Ryu, Y.S. and Yun, C.B. (2003), "Vibration-based method to detect prestress loss in beam-type bridges", Smart Structures and Materials, San Diego, USA, August.
- Kolakowski, P., Wiklo, M. and Holnicki-Szulc, J. (2008), "The virtual distortion method - a versatile reanalysis tool for structures and systems", Struct. Multidiscip. O., 36, 217-234. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-007-0158-7
- Law, S., Bu, J., Zhu, X. and Chan, S. (2004), "Vehicle axle loads identification using finite element method", Eng. Struct., 26, 1143-1153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.03.017
- Law, S. S. and Lu, Z. (2005), "Time domain responses of a prestressed beam and prestress identification", J. Sound. Vib., 288, 1011-1025. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2005.01.045
- Li, H., Lv, Z. and Liu, J. (2013), "Assessment of prestress force in bridges using structural dynamic responses under moving vehicles", Math. Probl. Eng., 2013, 1-9.
- Lu, Z. and Law, S.S. (2006), "Identification of prestress force from measured structural responses", Mech. Syst. Signal. Pr., 20, 2186-2199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2005.09.001
- Materazzi, A., Breccolotti, M., Ubertini, F. and Venanzi, I. (2009), "Experimental modal analysis for assessing prestress force in PC bridges: A sensitivity study", Proceedings of the 3rd International Operational Modal Analysis Conference, Portonovo, Italy, May.
- Miyamoto, A., Tei, K., Nakamura, H. and Bull, J.W. (2000), "Behavior of prestressed beam strengthened with external tendons", J. Struct. Eng .- ASCE, 126, 1033-1044. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:9(1033)
- Saiidi, M., Douglas, B. and Feng, S. (1994), "Prestress force effect on vibration frequency of concrete bridges", J. Struct. Eng .- ASCE, 120, 2233-2241. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1994)120:7(2233)
- Xu, J. and Sun, Z. (2011), "Prestress force identification for eccentrically prestressed concrete beam from beam vibration response", Struct. Longevity, 5, 107-115.
- Zhang, Q. (2010), Dynamic load and structural damage identification using virtual distortion method, Ph.D. Dissertation, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China.
- Zhang, Q., Jankowski, L. and Duan, Z. (2008), "Identification of coexistent load and damage based on virtual distortion method", Proceedings of the 4th European workshop on structural health monitoring, Krakow, Poland, July.