- Volume 17 Issue 6
With the help of advanced image acquisition and processing technology, the vision-based measurement methods have been broadly applied to implement the structural monitoring and condition identification of civil engineering structures. Many noncontact approaches enabled by different digital image processing algorithms are developed to overcome the problems in conventional structural dynamic displacement measurement. This paper presents three kinds of image processing algorithms for structural dynamic displacement measurement, i.e., the grayscale pattern matching (GPM) algorithm, the color pattern matching (CPM) algorithm, and the mean shift tracking (MST) algorithm. A vision-based system programmed with the three image processing algorithms is developed for multi-point structural dynamic displacement measurement. The dynamic displacement time histories of multiple vision points are simultaneously measured by the vision-based system and the magnetostrictive displacement sensor (MDS) during the laboratory shaking table tests of a three-story steel frame model. The comparative analysis results indicate that the developed vision-based system exhibits excellent performance in structural dynamic displacement measurement by use of the three different image processing algorithms. The field application experiments are also carried out on an arch bridge for the measurement of displacement influence lines during the loading tests to validate the effectiveness of the vision-based system.
structural health monitoring;displacement measurement;vision-based system;digital image processing;pattern matching algorithm;mean shift tracking algorithm
- Cheng, Y.Z. (1995), "Mean shift, mode seeking, and clustering", IEEE T. Pattern. Anal., 17(8), 790-799. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.400568
- Comaniciu, D., Ramesh, V. and Meer, P. (2003), "Kernel-based object tracking", IEEE T. Pattern. Anal., 25(5), 564-577. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2003.1195991
- Feng, D.M., Feng, M.Q., Ozer, E. and Fukuda, Y. (2015), "A vision-based sensor for noncontact structural displacement measurement", Sensors, 15, 16557-16575. https://doi.org/10.3390/s150716557
- Fukuda, Y., Feng, M.Q., Narita, Y., Kaneko, S.I. and Tanaka, T. (2013), "Vision-based displacement sensor for monitoring dynamic response using robust object search algorithm", IEEE Sens. J., 13(12), 4725-4732. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSEN.2013.2273309
- Fukunaga, K. and Hostetler, L.D. (1975), "The estimation of the gradient of a density function, with application in pattern recognition", IEEE T. Inform. Theory, 21(1), 32-40. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.1975.1055330
- Guo, J. and Zhu, C.A. (2016), "Dynamic displacement measurement of large-scale structures based on the Lucas-Kanade template tracking algorithm", Mech. Syst. Signal. Pr., 66-67, 425-436. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2015.06.004
- Henke, K., Pawlowski, R., Schregle, P. and Winter, S. (2015), "Use of digital image processing in the monitoring of deformations in building structures", J. Civil Struct. Health Monit., 5, 141-152. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13349-014-0091-6
- Ho, H.N., Lee, J.H., Park, Y.S. and Lee, J.J. (2012), "A synchronized multipoint vision-based system for displacement measurement of civil infrastructures", Sci. World J., 2012, 519146.
- Jauregui, D.V., White, K.R., Woodward, C.B. and Leitch, K.R. (2003), "Noncontact photogrammetric measurement of vertical bridge deflection", J. Bridge Eng. - ASCE, 8(4), 212-222. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2003)8:4(212)
- Ji. Y.F. and Chang, C.C. (2007), "Nontarget stereo vision technique for spatiotemporal response measurement of line-like structures", J Eng Mech- ASCE. 134(6), 466-474.
- Ji. Y.F. and Chang, C.C. (2008), "Nontarget image-based technique for small cable vibration measurement", J. Bridge Eng. - ASCE, 13(1), 34-42.
- Mansoori, E.G., Zolghadri, M.J. and Katebi, S.D. (2007), "A weighting function for improving fuzzy classification systems performance", Fuzzy Set Syst., 158, 583-591. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fss.2006.10.004
- Ni, Y.Q., Ye, X.W. and Ko, J.M. (2010), "Monitoring-based fatigue reliability assessment of steel bridges: analytical model and application", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 136(12), 1563-1573. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000250
- Ni, Y.Q., Ye, X.W. and Ko, J.M. (2012), "Modeling of stress spectrum using long-term monitoring data and finite mixture distributions", J. Eng. Mech. - ASCE, 138(2), 175-183. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000313
- Olaszek, P. (1999), "Investigation of the dynamic characteristic of bridge structures using a computer vision method", Measurement, 25, 227-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-2241(99)00006-8
- Park, J.W., Lee, J.J., Jung. H.J. and Myung, H. (2010), "Vision-based displacement measurement method for high-rise building structures using partitioning approach", NDT&E Int., 43, 642-647. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2010.06.009
- Perlibakas, V. (2004), "Distance measures for PCA-based face recognition", Pattern Recogn. Lett., 25, 711-724. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2004.01.011
- Russell, S.J. and Norvig, P. (2010), Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach, 3rd Ed, Pearson Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Wahbeh, A.M., Caffrey, J.P. and Masri, S.F. (2003), "A vision-based approach for the direct measurement of displacements in vibrating systems", Smart Mater. Struct., 12, 785-794. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/12/5/016
- Ye, X.W., Ni, Y.Q., Wai, T.T., Wong, K.Y., Zhang, X.M. and Xu, F. (2013), "A vision-based system for dynamic displacement measurement of long-span bridges: algorithm and verification", Smart Struct. Syst., 12(3-4), 363-379. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.3_4.363
- Ye, X.W., Ni, Y.Q., Wong, K.Y. and Ko, J.M. (2012), "Statistical analysis of stress spectra for fatigue life assessment of steel bridges with structural health monitoring data", Eng. Struct., 45, 166-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.06.016
- Ye, X.W., Yi, T.H., Dong, C.Z., Liu, T. and Bai, H. (2015), "Multi-point displacement monitoring of bridges using a vision-based approach", Wind Struct., 20(2), 315-326. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2015.20.2.315
- 1. Stay cable tension estimation using a vision-based monitoring system under various weather conditions vol.7, pp.3, 2017, doi:10.12989/sss.2016.17.6.935
- 2. Reference-Free Displacement Estimation of Bridges Using Kalman Filter-Based Multimetric Data Fusion vol.2016, 2016, doi:10.12989/sss.2016.17.6.935
- 3. Identification of structural dynamic characteristics based on machine vision technology 2017, doi:10.12989/sss.2016.17.6.935
- 4. A Review of Machine Vision-Based Structural Health Monitoring: Methodologies and Applications vol.2016, 2016, doi:10.12989/sss.2016.17.6.935
- 5. Geotechnical monitoring and analyses on the stability and health of a large cross-section railway tunnel constructed in a seismic area 2017, doi:10.12989/sss.2016.17.6.935
연구 과제 주관 기관 : National Science Foundation of China