- Volume 21 Issue 2
In shipbuilding, hull assemblies are manufactured by welding. The thermal deformation caused by the welding produces shape deformation. Counter-deformed design methods have been used in shipyards to cope with the weld-induced deformation of ship assembles. Finite element methods (FEMs) are frequently used to estimate welding distortion in the counter-deformed design. For the estimation of welding distortion, producing uniform rectangular elements is required to enter thermal loads on the welding line and obtain accurate analysis results. In this paper, a new automatic mesh generation method is proposed for prediction of welding deformation in FEM. Meshes are constructed for test cases to demonstrate the feasibility of the proposed mesh generation method.
Counter-deformed design;Shipbuilding;Quadrilateral mesh generation;Welding deformation prediction
- Ha, Y.S., 2011, A Study on Weldment Boundary Condition for Elasto-Plastic Thermal Distortion Analysis of Large Welded Structures, The Korean Welding and Joining Society, 29(4), pp.48-53. https://doi.org/10.5781/KWJS.2011.29.4.410
- Park, J.G., Ha, Y.S., Yi, M.S., Jang, T.W. and Cho, S.H., 2010, Development of the Re-designing System with Welding Deformation, Proceedings of 2010 Autumn Annual Meeting of Korean Welding and Joining Society, pp.161.
- Park, J.G., Kwon, K.Y., Won, S.H. and Heo, H.Y., Design Device and Design Method for Welding Margin, and Recording Medium Storing Program for Executing the Same, Samsung Heavy Industry, Korean Patent, No. 1012280660000.
- Blacker, T.D. and Stephenson, M.B., 1991, Paving: A New Approach to Automated Quadrilateral Mesh Generation, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 32(4), pp.811-847. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620320410
- Chae, S.W. and Jung, J.H., 1977, Unstructured Surface Meshing Using Operators, Proceedings of 5th International Meshing Roundtable, pp.281-291.
- Chae, S.W. and Kwon, K.Y., 2001, Quadrilateral Mesh Generation on Trimmed NURBS Surfaces, KSME International Journal, 15(5), pp.592-601. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03184375
- Lee, C.K. and Lo, S.H., 1994, A New Scheme for the Generation of a Graded Quadrilateral Mesh, Computers and Structures, 52(5), pp.847-857. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(94)90070-1
- Lee, Y.K. and Lee, C.K., 2003, A New Indirect Anisotropic Quadrilateral Mesh Generation Scheme with Enhanced Local Mesh Smoothing Procedures, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 58(2), pp.3327-3349.
- Kwon, K.Y., Park, J.M., Lee, B.C. and Chae, S.W., 2006, A New Indirect Quadrilateral Mesh Generation Scheme from Background Triangular Mesh, Transactions of the Society of CAD/CAM Engineers, 11(2), pp.107-114.
- Kwon, K.Y., Lee, B.C. and Chae, S.W., 2005, Boundary Layer Mesh Generation for Three-Dimensional Geometries with Thin Thickness, Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers A, 29(5), pp.671-679.