- Volume 21 Issue 2
In order to realize the virtual prototyping (VP) of digital products, it is important to provide the people involved in product development with the appropriate visualization and interaction of the products, and the vivid simulation of user interface (UI) behaviors in an interactive 3D virtual environment. In this paper, we propose an approach to web-based 3D virtual experience using Unity and Leap Motion. We adopt Unity as an implementation platform which easily and rapidly implements the visualization of the products and the design and simulation of their UI behaviors, and allows remote users to get an easy access to the virtual environment. Additionally, we combine Leap Motion with Unity to embody natural and immersive interaction using the user's hand gesture. Based on the proposed approach, we have developed a testbed system for web-based 3D virtual experience and applied it for the design evaluation of various digital products. Button selection test was done to investigate the quality of the interaction using Leap Motion, and a preliminary user study was also performed to show the usefulness of the proposed approach.
Virtual Experience;Digital Products;Natural User Interaction;Behavior Simulation;Unity;Leap Motion;Web-based System
- Bullinger, H.J., Breining, R. and Baucer, W., 1999, Virtual Prototyping - State of the Art in Product Design, Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Computers & Industrial Engineering, pp.103-107.
- Zorriassantine, F., Wykes, C., Parkin, R. and Gindy, N., 2003, A Survey of Virtual Prototyping Techniques for Mechanical Product Development, Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 217, pp.513-530. https://doi.org/10.1243/095440503321628189
- Kanai, S., Higuchi, T. and Kikuta, T., 2009, 3D Digital Prototyping and Usability Enhancement of Information Appliances Based on UsiXML, International Journal on Interactive Design and Manufacturing, 3(3), pp.201-222. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12008-009-0075-7
- Fabio, B., Agostino, A., Francesco, C. and Maurizio, M., 2010, Functional Behavior Simulation of Industrial Products in Virtual Reality, Proceedings of TMCE 2010 Symposium, 16(1), pp.1-10.
- Park, H., Bae, C. and Lee, K., 2007, Virtual Prototyping of Consumer Electronic Products by Embedding HMI Functional Simulation into VR Techniques, Transactions of the Society of CAD/CAM Engineers, 12(2), pp.87-94.
- Park, H. and Moon, H., 2011, AR-based Tangible Interaction Using a Finger Fixture for Digital Handheld Products, Transactions of the Society of CAD/CAM Engineers, 16(1), pp.1-10.
- Park, H. and Moon, H., 2013, Design Evaluation of Information Appliances Using Augmented Reality-Based Tangible Interaction, Computers in Industry, 64(7), pp.854-868. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compind.2013.05.006
- Kinect, https://dev.windows.com/en-us/kinect/
- Leap Motion, http://www.leapmotion.com/
- Raheja, J.L., Chaudhary, A. and Singal, K., 2011, Tracking of Fingertips and Centers of Palm Using Kinect. In Computational Intelligence, Modelling and Simulation (CIMSiM), 2011 Third International Conference on. IEEE, pp.248-252.
- Oikonomidis, I., Kyriazis, N. and Argyros, A., 2011, Efficient Model-based 3D Tracking of Hand Articulations using Kinect, In Proceedings. Brit. Mach. Vision Conference (BMVC), 1(2), pp.101.1-101.11.
- Leigh, E.P., Jake, A. and Lewis, C., 2013, The Leap Motion Controller: A View on Sign Language, Proceedings of the 25th Australian Computer- Human Interaction Conference: Augmentation, Application, Innovation, Collaboration, pp.175-178.
- Marin, G., Dominio, F. and Zanuttigh, P., 2014, Hand Gesture Recognition with Leap Motion and Kinect Devices, Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing(ICIP), pp.1565-1569.
- Regenbrecht, H., Collins, J. and Hoermann, S., 2013, A Leap-Supported, Hybrid AR Interface Approach, Proceedings of the 25th Australian Computer-Human Interaction Conference: Augmentation, Application, Innovation, Collaboration, pp.25-29.
- Unity, http://www.unity3d.com/
- Lee, G., Shin, D. and Shin, D., 2014, NUI/NUX Framework Based on Intuitive Hand Motion, Journal of Internet Computing and Services (JICS), 15(3), pp.11-19. https://doi.org/10.7472/jksii.2014.15.3.11
- Zhanguo, M., Bo, L. and Hongbin, Z., 2007, Skeleton Based 3D Mesh Deformation, Proceeding of the 6th International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing (ICICS), NTU, Singapore.2007:1154-1158.
- Rhino3D, http://www.rhino3d.com/
- RapidForm, http://www.rapidform.com/
- Maetaio, https://www.metaio.com/
- Vuforia, https://www.qualcomm.com/products/vuforia/
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 한국연구재단