- Volume 18 Issue 2
There is an expanding global network of free trade agreements (FTA). High-quality, comprehensive free trade agreements play an important role to support global trade liberalization and are explicitly allowed under the World Trade Organization (WTO) rules. An FTA is an international treaty that removes barriers to trade and facilitates stronger trade and commercial ties that contribute to increased economic integration between participating countries. Korea benefits from the global FTA trend; however it has started and developed FTA negotiations later than other countries. Current FTA agreements exist with Chile, Singapore, EFTA, ASIAN, India, EU, Peru, USA, Turkey, Australia, and Canada; in addition, there are ongoing negotiations with China, Colombia, New Zealand, and Vietnam. FTA open up opportunities for the textile/clothing industry to expand businesses into key overseas markets. FTA improve market access across all areas of trade to help maintain and stimulate the competitiveness of textile/clothing firms. This study examines the expansion of free trade agreements in light of changes in the international trade environment and the status of the Korean textile/clothing industry. Korea's textile/clothing export/import products and concession of tariff, country of origin covered under Korea-US/China FTA are investigated to identify problems. This study provides practical and policy implications for the textile/clothing industry in regards to the Korea-US/China FTA.
FTA;country of origin;concession of tariff;WTO;yarn forward rule
- Gaeseong industry district foundation. (2014). Investment Guide of Gaeseong Industrial Complex. Seoul: Author
- Korea federation of textile industry. (2015, June). FTA Understanding and Application of Textile/Clothing Industry. Seoul: Korea federation of textile industry.
- Korea International Trade Association. (2014, June). Guideline for KORUS FTA Verification Process. Seoul: Korea International Trade Association.
- Korea federation of textile industry. (2016, January). Country Report(USA). Seoul: Korea federation of textile industry.
- Korea federation of textile industry. (2016, January). Statistics of textile export/import. Seoul: Korea federation of textile industry.
- Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy. (2015). Official Blog. Retrieved October 1, 2013, from http://blog.naver.com/mocienews/100184856835
- United States international trade commission. (2014). Tariff schedule of the United States.