- Volume 18 Issue 2
Research on changes of Chinese women's fashion styles was conducted through analysis of fashion images and articles in Chinese fashion magazines since 1980s. Through the fashion magazine research centered on Shanghai, the most developed commercial city having a great influence on the entire fashion industry in China, it examined Chinese fashion styles by period so identified a developmental process of Chinese fashion styles. Based on general understanding of Chinese fashion magazine industry, case study was conducted on "Shanghai Style(上海服飾)". After analyzing 1100 fashion images by period derived from 245 volumes from 1985 to 2013, this study compared fashion styles in 4 periods and analyzed the developments of Chinese fashion styles. Findings from the case analysis based on the classification of fashion styles are as follows. In the early editions, images to give a visual stimulus and express styles more intuitively were frequently used with reported articles. As for the general change of the style in "Shanghai Style(上海服飾)", expression was done centered on casual wear with gradual disappearance of formal wear. There was a tendency entire atmosphere of the style became romantic. Through a comparative analysis between Chinese fashion styles having such developmental characteristic and the global fashion trends, this study identified special characteristics of Chinese fashion style changes. As for common characteristics, firstly, both have a tendency to change into the coexistence of various styles rather than popularity of certain style. Secondly, style was expressed gradually centered on casual wear.
China;Shanghai;fashion magazine;fashion style;Shanghai style(上海服飾)
- 1980's Elegance Style. (1986, January). Shanghai Style 上海服飾, p. 4.
- 1980's Romantic Style. (1986, January). Shanghai Style 上海服飾, p. 5.
- 1990's Elegance Style. (1990, February). Shanghai Style 上海服飾, p. 38.
- 1990's Romantic Style. (1994, March). Shanghai Style 上海服飾, p. 26.
- 1990's Casual Style. (1996, January). Shanghai Style 上海服飾, p. 39.
- 1990's Manish Style. (1998, March). Shanghai Style 上海服飾, p. 44.
- 2000's Elegance Style. (2001, May). Shanghai Style 上海服飾, p. 37.
- 2000's Romantic Style. (2000, December). Shanghai Style 上海服飾, p. 30.
- 2000's Casual Style. (2004, January). Shanghai Style 上海服飾, p. 60.
- 2000's Ethnic Style. (2004, September). Shanghai Style 上海服飾, p. 58.
- 2010's Romantic Style. (2013, March). Shanghai Style 上海服飾, p. 66.
- 2010's Casual Style. (2012, November). Shanghai Style 上海服飾, p. 54.
- 2010's Elegancel Style. (2010, July). Shanghai Style 上海服飾, p. 36.
- Elle. (1988). Elle Chine, the cover page.
- Fashion. (1980). Fashion 时装, the cover page.
- Jung, S. G. (1995). 패션사진의 이론과 실제 [Theory and fashion of modern fashion photography]. Seoul: Hakmunsa.
- Jung, S. H. (1996). 현대패션모드 [Modern fashion mode]. Seoul: Kyomunsa.
- Kim, S. E. (2008). Influence of fashion magazine information on female fashion style. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Kim, Y. K. (2002). The influence of fashion style, color and tone on impression. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Li, K. (2002). <良友>画报及其文化效应 [Liangyou and its effect on culture]. 上海交通大学学报 [Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University].
- Modern dress and dress making. (1981). Modern dress and dress making 现代服饰, the cover page.
- Shanghai style. (1985). Shanghai style 上海服饰, the cover page.
- The modern lady. (1928). The modern lady 今代妇女, the cover page.
- The Young Companion. (1926). The Young Companion 良友, the cover page.
- Xu, K. (2001). 20世紀90年代上海经济的巨大变化 [The big changes in Shanghai's economy during 1990's]. 华东经济管理, 15(1), 7-8.
- Zhao, Y. (2010). 中国时尚杂志的志的历史衍变 [Historical evolution of Chinese fashion magazines]. Fuzhou: 福建人民出版社 [Fujian People's Publishing House].
- Zhou, M. (2008). 当前中国大陆女性时尚杂志的审美风格分析 [The analysis of the current aesthetic styles of Chinese female fashion magazines]. Unpublished master's thesis, Shanghai University, Shanghai.
Grant : BK21플러스
Supported by : 서울대학교