- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between Brand Personality and Brand Preference of Casual Apparel Brands - Focusing on the University Students in Korea -
캐주얼 의류 브랜드들의 브랜드 개성과 브랜드 선호도 간의 관계 - 국내 대학생들을 중심으로 -
Lee, Jung-Mi;Ahn, Hyung Jun
- Received : 2015.11.05
- Accepted : 2016.02.25
- Published : 2016.04.30
Brand personality is the human-like traits of brands that consumers can use to identify brands. Despite the importance of brand personality, there has been limited research about it in Korea recently, especially for casual apparel brands. Considering the changes in lifestyle and the increasing popularity of leasure activities in Korea, it is important to analyze the brand personality of casual brands for understanding Korean consumers. This study aimed to analyze the brand personalities of eight well-known casual brands in Korea, and to investigate the relationship between the brand personalities and brand preference. Specifically, this study questioned whether the similarity in brand personalities leads to similar patterns of preference for the brands. The eight brands were carefully selected so that they can well represent the diversity in the dimensions of perceived brand personality, while also being well-known to the participants of the survey. Factor analysis of the data from the survey of Korean university students yielded five factors of brand personality: liveliness, high class, ordinariness, rationality, and reliability. The eight brands showed significant difference across the five factors. Multidimensional scaling analyses of the brands were conducted based on the similarity in brand personality and brand preference respectively. The result showed significant difference in the relative distribution of the eight brands in the two-dimensional space of the analyses.
brand;brand personality;brand preference;fashion brand;purchase
- Aaker, J. L. (1997). Dimensions of brand personality. Journal of Marketing Research, 34(8), 347-356. doi:10.2307/3151897 https://doi.org/10.2307/3151897
- Arribas, V., Garcia, I., Susaeta, L., & Pins, J. R. (2014). Abercrombie & fitch: A business ethics perspective in the fashion industry. IESE Business School.
- Baik, M. Y., & Choi, S. H. (2009). A study on the expression characteries of interior space based on the brand's image distinction strategies of unisex clothes wear part Korean in the department stores. Proceedings of Conference of Korean Institute of Interior Design, 11(1), 74-78.
- Belk, R. (1988). Possession and extended self. Journal of Consumer Research, 15(7), 139-169. doi:10.1086/209154 https://doi.org/10.1086/209154
- Birdwell, A. E. (1968). A study of the influence of image congruence on consumer choice. The Journal of Business, 41(1), 76-88. doi:10.1086/295047 https://doi.org/10.1086/295047
- Chang, J. S., Lee, J. H., & Ahn, K, H. (2011). The effect if the congruence between brand personality and self-image on purchase intention: The moderation role of self-monitoring and product type. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 22(5), 7-23.
- Cho, S. D., & Kim, M. H. (2014). Do product types and brand personalities moderate the relationships between brand-self congruence and brand attachment?. Korean Marketing Review, 29(5), 1-21. doi:10.15830/kmr.2014.29.5.1 https://doi.org/10.15830/kmr.2014.29.5.1
- Cho, Y. J., Lee, J. H., & Park, C. I. (2011). A study on the effect of brand personality of fashion flagship store on brand loyalty in interior design - Focus on the fashion flagship store of Louis Vuitton. Korean Institute of Interior Design Journal, 20(6), 62-70.
- Choi, L. K., & Koh, A. R. (1995). Analysis of domestic jeans market through benefit segmentation and perceptual mapping. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 19(4), 651-662.
- Graeff, T. R. (1996). Using promotional messages to manage the effects of brand and self image on brand evaluations. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 13(3), 4-18. doi:10.1108/07363769610118921 https://doi.org/10.1108/07363769610118921
- Hout, M. C., Papesh, M. H., & Goldinger, S. D. (2013). Multidimensional scaling. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews Cognitive Science, 4(1), 93-103. doi:10.1002/wcs.1203 https://doi.org/10.1002/wcs.1203
- Hughes, G. D., & Guerrero, J. L. (1971). Automobile self-congruity models reexamined. Journal of Marketing Research, 8(1), 125-127. doi:10.2307/3149743 https://doi.org/10.2307/3149743
- Hwang, J. S., & Lee, J. (2010). Korean image preferences based on lifestyle segments. Journal of the Korea Fashion & Costume Design Association, 12(2), 91-105.
- Jung, D. Y. (2005). The effect of brand personality on consumer's preference and purchase intention -Focusing on the type of women's fashion brand and the consumer characteristics-. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Keller, K. L. (2002). Branding and brand equity. Handbook of marketing, 151-178.
- Kim, C. S., & Lee, H. J. (1998). Data base development for blue jeans marketing strategy(Part 2) -Focused on young adult's brand awareness, brand image and consumer's seeking image in fall 1997-. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 22(4), 503-514.
- Kim, J. Y., & Kim, S. H. (2005). A study on structural model among brand personality, satisfaction, trust, and loyalty. Korean Journal of Hotel Administration, 14(2), 261-277.
- Kim, M. K., Chung, I. H., & Song, H. K. (2002). The brand image of apparel: a qualitative approach. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 26(11), 1588-1570.
- Kim, S. Y. (2012). A study for preference and purchase intention to individual brands and corporate brands of the golf apparel. Unpublished master's thesis, Sungkyunkwan University, Seoul.
- Ko, E. J., & Yun, S. Y. (2004). Impact of fashion brand personality on brand preference and purchase intention -Comparison among formal, casual, sports brans-. Journal of Global Academy of Marketing Science, 14, 59-80. https://doi.org/10.1080/12297119.2004.9707222
- Lee, M. H., & Lim, S. J. (1997). A study on impacts of tv commercials of women's clothes. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 21(5), 880-888.
- Li, Y. F., & Park, M. R. (2015). Analysis of design preference to Korean and Chinese casual style by Chinese female students in Korea. Journal of the Korea Fashion & Costume Design Association, 17(3), 73-84.
- Lim, S. J., & Lee, J. H. (1997). A study on the influence of brand image consistency towards brand extension. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 21(6), 959-969.
- Oh, M. Y. (2003). A study for brand personality applied to fcb grid: Focus on fashion brand. Unpublished master's thesis, Sungkyunkwan University, Seoul.
- Park, S. Y., & Lee, Y. K. (2006). Effect of the congruence between brand personality and self-image on customer satisfaction, consumerbrand relationship and brand loyalty in Korean culture. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 17(1), 7-24.
- Park, S. M. (2012). Purchase of casual brand and satisfaction of body, clothing and brand. Journal of Korean Society of Design Trend, 36, 281-290.
- Simmons, C. J., & Lynch Jr, J. G. (1991). Inference effects without inference making? Effects of missing information on discounting and use of presented information. Journal of Consumer Research, 17(4), 477-491. doi:10.1086/208572 https://doi.org/10.1086/208572
- Sirgy, M. J. (1982). Self-concept in consumer behavior: A critical review. Journal of Consumer Research, 9(3), 287-300. doi:10.1086/208924 https://doi.org/10.1086/208924
- Suh, H. S., Na, Y. K., & Sun, J. Y. (2009). The effects of alpha-numeric brand name on the functional sportswear, for its suitability, brand personality, and attitude. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 11(4), 556-565.
- Yi, Y. J., & La, S. A. (2002). Brand personality-brand identificationbrand equity model: An exploratory study on the difference between users vs non-users. Journal of Korean Marketing Association, 17(3), 1-33.
- Yu, E. K. (2001). Study on the influence of brand personality to brand identity-Concerning the big five in brand personality. The Review of Art and Design, 9, 137-160.
- Yu, S. H. (2009). A study on the effect of brand personality and personal personality on brand preference. Unpublished master's thesis, Kookmin University, Seoul.
Supported by : 한국연구재단