- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Body Mass Index, Self-esteem, and Sociocultural Attitude toward Appearance on Diet Awareness
신체질량지수, 자아존중감, 외모에 대한 사회문화적 태도가 다이어트 인식에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.11.16
- Accepted : 2016.03.15
- Published : 2016.04.30
This study examined differences in body mass index (BMI), self-esteem, sociocultural attitude toward appearance, and diet awareness between genders as well as the effect of BMI, self-esteem, and sociocultural attitude toward appearance on diet awareness. This study surveyed adults between the ages of 20 and 29 who lived in Daegu and Uijeongbu from November
body mass index;self-esteem;sociocultural attitude toward appearance;diet awareness
- Chun, C. G., & Lee, M. O. (2007). The effect of adolescent bodyrelated variables, self-esteem on eating disorder. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 16(5), 1041-1050. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2007.16.5.1041
- Han, M. J. (2000). A study on the effects of processing of thin promoting TV messages on college females' body satisfaction and dieting behaviors. Korean Association for Broad Casting & Telecommunication Studies, 14(3), 291-317.
- Han, M. J. (2002). Media exposure and ten year-old female viewers' body image and dieting behaviors: A look at mediating variables: Upward comparison, monitoring, perceived reality, and thin body. Journal of Broadcasting Research, Summer, 313-338.
- Heinberg, L. J., Thompson, J. K., & Stormer, S. (1995). Development and validation of the sociocultural attitudes towards appearance questionnaire. International Journal of Eating Disorder, 17(1), 81-89. doi:10.1002/1098-108X(199501) https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-108X(199501)17:1<81::AID-EAT2260170111>3.0.CO;2-Y
- Heo, C. G., & Oh, S. I. (2004). Dietary behavior and awareness as degree of obesity in high school students. Institute of Physical Education and Sports Kangwon National University, 27, 137-161.
- Hong, K. H. (2006). The influence of the sociocultural attitudes towards appearance. Journal of Youth Facility & Environment, 12(4), 175-182.
- Hwang, Y. J., & Yoo, T. S. (2010). The effects of sociocultural attitudes toward appearance, self-esteem, and physical attractiveness perceptiveness on weight and clothing management behaviors. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(11), 1923-1932. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.11.1923 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.11.1923
- Jeun, Y. S., Lee, J. R., & Park, C. M. (2006). A study on the development of weight controlling health behavioral model in women. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion, 23(4), 123-153.
- Jung, Y. K. (2007). A study of appearance management behavior and physical image of the men in 20s and 30s in accordance with the bod mass index and the current status of weight control. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Kang, H. W. (2009). The socio-psychological aspect of clothing (2nd ed.). Seoul: Kyomunsa.
- Kim, A., Lee, S. G., & Koh, A. R. (2006). Effects of media involvement, body satisfaction and self-esteem on the appearance management behavior of preteen boys and girls. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 30(11), 1538-1549.
- Kim, B. M., & Park, J. S. (2015). Relationships among parent-child communication, self-esteem and sexual assertiveness for male and female university students: Gender difference. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 21(1), 11-22. doi:10.4069/kjwhn.2015.21.1.11 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2015.21.1.11
- Kim, H. C., & Kim, M. R. (2010). Effect of self-esteem, body image and external factors of body type on dieting behavior of high school students. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Education Association, 22(4), 65-75.
- Kim, H. C., Sun, X., & Kim, M. R. (2012). Analysis on the perception of body image and awareness of diet among high school students in Zibo city, China. Journal of Korean Home Economics Education Association, 24(4), 59-75.
- Kim, H. R. (2012). The effects of sociocultural effects, BMI, body image, and self-esteem on body dissatisfaction in adolescents. The Korean Journal of the Human Development, 19(3), 1-19.
- Kim, J. A., & Kim, Y. S. (2002). A study on the body cathexis and appearance management behaviors of high school girls. Journal of Korean Home Economics Education Association, 14(1), 55-73.
- Kim, J. M., & Han, G. H. (2008). The effects of mass media, tendency for appearance comparison and BMI on female high school and college students' eating behavior. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 26(4), 73-83.
- Kim, J. M., & Park, K. M. (2008). The effects of eating disorder belief and sociocultural attitudes towards appearance on female high school students' eating attitude. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 26(3), 65-77.
- Kim, J. M., & Yi, S. J. (2009). Development changes in the effect of sociocultural factors towards appearance, body mass index and self-esteem on body image. Journal of Korean Home Management Association, 27(6), 1-12.
- Kim, K. H. (1999). The effects of adolescent girls' self-esteem, the preoccupation to be thinner, and dieting on binge eating. Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 4(1), 155-165.
- Kim, M. R., & Kim, H. C. (2008). A study on diet behaviors and related factors in dieting college students. Journal of East Asian Society Dietary Life, 18(1), 135-148.
- Kim, O. S., Kim, S. W., & Kim, A. J. (2002). BMI, weight control behavior, and self-esteem in high school adolescents. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 14(1), 53-61.
- Kim, S. Y. (2013). A structural analysis of daily stress, self-esteem, emotion regulation to psycho-social adjustment for the highschool students: Multiple-group analysis. Youth Culture Publishes Forum, 35, 92-113.
- Kwon, M. K. (2010). The effects of peer pressure, sociocultural attitudes towards appearance, and weight control efficacy on eating behaviors of male and female adolescents. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Sunkyunkwan University, Seoul.
- Kwon, H. K., Lee, C. J., Jin, S. K., Seo, K. H., & Lee, J. E. (1996). The relationship of diet behavior and psychological variables in college- On body dissatisfaction, self-esteem, eating attitude-. Journal of Student Guidance and Counseling, 15, 3-25.
- Lee, J. S., & Han, G. H. (2008). The effects of university woman students' socio-cultural attitudes to appearance on their body image and satisfaction of their physical bodies. Journal of Fashion Business, 12(2), 153-164.
- Lee, J. S., Kim, B. H., Jeong, H. C., & Lee, S. E. (2001). A grounded approach to dietary experiences in college women. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 7(4), 596-609.
- Lee, M. K. (2007). The development of a healthy diet program for weigh control in the obese. Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 12(1), 59-75. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2007.12.1.004
- Lim, B. H. (2010). The effects of adolescences' socio-cultural attitude toward appearance and objectified body-consciousness on appearance management behavior. Unpublished master's thesis, Daegu University, Daegu.
- Lim, I. S. (2004). Sociocultural context of diet -Focused on college women's look-discriminatory experience and the body images of mass media. Korean Journal of Sociology, 38(2), 165-187.
- Na, M. S., & Jang, K. Y. (2007). Women's diet experience and its relation with self respect. Korean Journal of Aesthetics and Cosmetology, 5(2), 167-185.
- Neumark-Sztainer, D., & Story, M. (1998). Dieting and binge eating among adolescents: What do they really mean?. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 98(4), 446-450. doi:10.1016/S0002-8223(98)00101-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(98)00101-1
- Oh, N. D., Kim, E. M., & Kim, S. H. (2013). Weight control behaviors and correlates in Korean adolescents. International Journal of Contents, 13(3), 218-227. doi:10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.03.218 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.03.218
- Oh, S. L., & Yoon, S. H. (1998). Survey on the dietary behavior and awareness related to obese degree of high school girls. Institute of Physical Education and Sports Kangwon National University, 22, 245-262.
- Park, E. (2008). The path analysis of the relationship of perfectionism, sociocultural attitudes towards appearance, internalized shame, body-esteem, and eating attitude. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Park, K. H., & Yoo, H. S. (2013). Appearance orientation and appearance management behaviors in relation to body mass index and demographic variables. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 15(6), 912-922. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.6.912 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.6.912
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the adolescent self-image. New Jersey: Princeton University Press.
- Shim, J. Y., & Kim, H. H. (2008). The relationship between the body satisfaction/self-esteem of female middle and high school students and their use of make-up. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 58(4), 128-138.
- Shin, M. Y. (1997). A process that mass-media affects dieting and eating disorder of young women. Unpublished master's thesis, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon.
- Shin, M. Y. (2011). The relationship between percept social-cultural influence of appearance and dietary behaviors. Unpublished master's thesis, Sungshin Women's University, Seoul.
- Shin, M. Y., & Lee, H. Y. (2012). The relationship between perceived sociocultural influence for appearance and dietary behaviors: Mediating effects of body image and cognitive distortion. Cognitive Behavior Therapy in Korea, 12(2), 183-198.
- Son, E. J. (2008). The influence of self-esteem, physical comparison, tin-ideal internalization, and body dissatisfaction on the eating disorder symptoms of college aged women. The Korean Journal of Counselling and Psychotherapy, 20(3), 885-901.
- Turakulova, Kim, M. J., Kim, H. S., Kim, H. J., Lee, S. J., Jeon, Y. H., & Choi, J. Y. (2013). Level of socio-cultural attitude toward appearance and desire to go on diet among female university students. Ewha Journal of Nursing, 47, 97-112.
- Yang, H. Y., & Byeon, Y. S. (2012). Weight control behavior in women college students and factors influencing behavior. Journal of Korean Academy Fundamentals of Nursing, 19(2), 190-200. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.2.190
- Yang, K. M. (2002). A study on the type of body and diet behavior among female middle school students. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Yoo, J. S., Yang, W. S., Lee, K. E., Lee, S. E., Lee, C. S., Lee, H. Y., & Park, E. C. (2003). Gender differences in self-esteem of medical students. Korean Journal of Medical Education, 15(3), 241-248. https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2003.15.3.241
- Study on Perception of Weight Control and Patterns of Diet/Low-Calorie Food Consumption according to Weight Status in Adult Women vol.27, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.17495/easdl.2017.4.27.2.104