- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Body cathexis and Clothing Behavior of Middle-aged Women according to the Depression Level
중년기 여성의 우울도에 따른 신체만족도 및 의복행동
Lee, Jungeun;Choi, Hyojin;Shin, Bongjin;Park, Soonjee
- Received : 2015.08.13
- Accepted : 2016.02.20
- Published : 2016.04.30
This research was designed to analyze the relationship among depression level, body cathexis, and clothing behavioral attributes of middle-aged women. Respondents for questionnaire were middle-aged women aged from 40 to 59. A total of 197 responses were analyzed by SPSS 21.0 through t-test, and factor analysis with Varimax rotation. The results were as following. As older, the portion of depressed group increased. Higher in depression level, her body cathexis decreased, meaning those two valuables have negative relationship. Six clothing behavioral factors were extruded: style pursuit, body shaping, showing-off, comfort pursuit, recreativeness, and consciousness of others factor, which covers both physical and psychological aspects of middle-aged women. The difference between 40's and 50's was significant in depression level, however, not significant in body cathexis and clothing behavioral attributes. Except for weight, body cathexis satisfaction level of 'depressed group' were significantly lower than 'not-depressed group', meaning that psychological factor give a significant effect on body cathexis. 'Not-depressed group' tend to choose her own style and 'depressed group' more likely to be conscious of others and conform to the affiliation group. This finding implies that design and coordination of garments for middle-aged women could be recommended according to the depression level to improve the quality of life.
middle-aged women;depression level;body cathexis;clothing behavior
- Sin, H. O. (2008). The effects of appearance concern, appearance complex and body satisfaction on appearance management behavior and expense : Boy and girl students at middle school. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Sin, M. S. (1993). The cut-off score for the Korean version of beck depression inventory. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, 12(1), 71-81.
- Song, M. S., & Schlater, J. D. (1982). Proximity of clothing self evolution of concept. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 1(1), 1-8. doi: 10.1177/0887302X8200100101 https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X8200100101
- Statistics Korea. (2015). 2014 Social indicators in Korea. Daejeon: Statistics Korea.
- Worell, J. A. (1997). Relationship between clothing interesting and the mental depression. Unpublished master's thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Virginia.
- Yu, S. H. (2011). The roles of stress, emotion regulation, and meaning of life depressive symptoms among middle-aged women. Unpublished master's thesis, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju.
- Yu, S. Y. (2013). A study on the selection factors of elderly care facility based on baby boom generation's lifestyle of korea. Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Choi, E. Y. (2015). A study preparations for retirement of the first and second baby-boom generations. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Choi, J. W. (2010). Study on pursuing clothing image and clothing purchase activity according to ego identity and subjective age of new middle-aged women. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Chi, Y. Y. (1994). An investigation into relationships of depression and clothing behavior-Among middle aged women in Seoul. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Chung, S. J. (2013). Effects of self-esteem and body satisfaction of middle-aged women on their clothing satisfaction and clothing selection criteria. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 15(1), 84-94. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.1.084 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.1.084
- Ha, C. Y. (2002). Female adolescents' clothing behavior and hairstyle preference as related to sensation seeking and body image. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Hwang, J. S. (1998). The relationship of body cathexis to self esteem and satisfaction with ready to wear of elderly men and women. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 22(3), 293-302.
- Byeon, W. J., & Kim, C. K. (2006). A study on the relevant variables of middle-aged women's depression. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 44(4), 125-139.
- Choi, C. S. (2012). A study on jacket making according to design preference analysis for Korean. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Konkuk University, Seoul.
- Kim, E. J. (2001). A research on the appearance-management behaviors in college woman. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Kim, J. H. (2000). The effect of self esteem, body cathexis, depression on addictive buying behavior of clothing product. Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju.
- Kim, J. W. (2010). The correlation of body image satisfaction and the appearance caring behavior of middle-aged women regarding the propensity to narcissism. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Daegu Haany University, Gyeongsan.
- Kim, M. K. (2003). The effect of aroma aged women's depression, stress and menopausal symptom. Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju.
- Kim, S. K. (2013). A study on the improvement of reverse mortgage system for stable life of senior citizens. Unpublished master's thesis, Gachon University, Seongnam.
- Kim, S. M. N., & Park, H. S. (2010). A characteristic of DAP and relationship between self esteem and depression by body satisfaction of high school female students. The Korean Journal of Arts Therapy, 10(2), 153-181.
- Kim, S. W. (1999). The relationship between clothing behavior & depression mood. Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju.
- Lee, J. O., & Nam, Y. J. (1999). A study on body satisfaction and wearing state of foundation among middle aged women. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 43(3), 83-95.
- Lee, S. S. (2009). A study on self-esteem and physical satisfaction of the elderly women. Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, 29(2), 547-562.
- Lee, W. J., & Han, M. S. (1983). A study on the relationship between clothing behaviors and the personal variables of the middle-aged women in Seoul. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 7(2), 61-69.
- Lee, Y. H., & Song, J. Y. (1991). A study of the reliability and the validity of the BDI, SDS, and MMPI-D scales. Korean Psychological Association, 10(1), 98-113.
- Lee, Y. J. (2013). Impact of types of fitness by middle-aged women on depression and stress. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Sungshin Women's University, Seoul.
- Moon, H. K., & Yoo, T. S. (2001). The effects of social self efficacy on clothing attitude and degree of make up depending on depression and stress. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 51(5), 77-94.
- Moon, N. W., Wee, E. H., & Park, W. M. (2008). A study on body proportion characteristics of middle aged women with their body cathexis and fit satisfaction. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 32(5), 821-833. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2008. 32.5.821 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2008.32.5.821
- Park, J. B. (2004). A study on clothing behavior and hairstyle behavior to body cathexis of college women. Unpublished master's thesis, Chosun University, Gwangju.
- Park, S. J., & Kim, H. J. (2012). Survey on clothing worn by middleaged women undergoing menopause and their satisfaction with garments according to menopausal symptoms. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 36(11), 1186-1196. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2012.36.11.1186 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2012.36.11.1186
- Park, S. M. (2013). Comparative analysis of underwear evaluative criteria according to somatotypes and socio-cultural characteristics. Family and Environment Research, 51(5), 563-571. doi:10.6115/fer.2013.51.5.563 https://doi.org/10.6115/fer.2013.51.5.563
- Secord, P. F., & Jourard, S. M. (1953). The appraisal of body-cathexis: body-cathexis and the self. Journal of Consulting Psychology, 17(5), 343-347. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0060689
- Sim, J. H., & Park, S. J. (2007). A study of the middle-aged women's clothing attitudes depending on their somatotype. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 31(1), 33-43. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.1.033 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.1.033
- Effects of BMI, Fitting size, Self-esteem, and Depression on the Body Management vol.19, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2017.19.6.795
Supported by : 영남대학교