- Volume 17 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on 3D Indoor mapping for as-built BIM creation by using Graph-based SLAM
준공 BIM 구축을 위한 Graph-based SLAM 기반의 실내공간 3차원 지도화 연구
- Received : 2016.01.27
- Accepted : 2016.03.17
- Published : 2016.05.31
In Korea, the absence of BIM use in existing civil structures and buildings is driving a demand for as-built BIM. As-built BIMs are often created using laser scanners that provide dense 3D point cloud data. Conventional static laser scanning approaches often suffer from limitations in their operability due to the difficulties in moving the equipment, the selection of scanning location, and the requirement of placing targets or extracting tie points for registration of each scanned point cloud. This paper aims at reducing the manual effort using a kinematic 3D laser scanning system based on graph-based simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM) for continuous indoor mapping. The robotic platform carries three 2D laser scanners: the front scanner is mounted horizontally to compute the robot's trajectory and to build the SLAM graph; the other two scanners are mounted vertically to scan the profiles of surrounding environments. To reduce the accumulated error in the trajectory of the platform through loop closures, the graph-based SLAM system incorporates AdaBoost loop closure approach, which is particularly suitable for the developed multi-scanner system providing more features than the single-scanner system for training. We implemented the proposed method and evaluated it in two indoor test sites. Our experimental results show that the false positive rate was reduced by 13.6% and 7.9% for the two dataset. Finally, the 2D and 3D mapping results of the two test sites confirmed the effectiveness of the proposed graph-based SLAM.
As-Built BIM;Mobile Mapping;Adaboost;Graph-Based SLAM
- Andrade-Cetto, J., Vidal-Calleja, T., and Sanfeliu, A. (2005). "Unscented transformation of vehicle states in SLAM." IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Barcelona, Spain. pp. pp. 323-328.
- Arras, K. O. (2003). "Feature-based robot navigation in known and unknown environments." Doctoral thesis, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne. p. 206.
- Bosse, M., and Zlot, R. (2009). "Keypoint design and evaluation for place recognition in 2D lidar maps." Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 57(12), pp. 1211-1224. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.robot.2009.07.009
- Digital times. (2015). "The BIM will affect more than 20% of civil structures in Korea by the year 2020." news paper, http://www.dt.co.kr/contents.html?article_no=2015012202109976753006.
- Durrant-Whyte, H., and Bailey, T. (2006). "Simultaneous localization and mapping: part I." Robotics & Automation Magazine, IEEE, 13(2), pp. 99-110.
- Eastman, C., Teicholz, P., Sacks, R., and Liston, K. (2011). "BIM handbook: A guide to building information modeling for owners, managers, architects, engineers, contractors, and fabricators." Wiley, Hoboken, NJ. p. 648.
- Granstrom, K., Schon, T. B., Nieto, J. I., and Ramos, F. T. (2011). "Learning to close loops from range data." The international journal of robotics research, 30(14), pp. 1728-1754. https://doi.org/10.1177/0278364911405086
- Grisetti, G., Kummerle, R., Stachniss, C., and Burgard, W. (2010). "A tutorial on graph-based SLAM." Intelligent Transportation Systems Magazine, IEEE, 2(4), pp. 31-43.
- Gutmann, J. S., and Konolige, K. (1999). "Incremental mapping of large cyclic environments. Paper presented at the Computational Intelligence in Robotics and Automation." IEEE International Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Robotics and Automation (CIRA), California, USA. pp. 318-325.
- Hanley, J. A., and McNeil, B. J. (1982). "The meaning and use of the area under a receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve." Radiology, 143(1), pp. 29-36. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiology.143.1.7063747
- Jung, J., Hong, S., Jeong, S., Kim, S., Cho, H., Hong, S., and Heo, J. (2014). "Productive modeling for development of as-built BIM of existing indoor structures." Automation in Construction, 42, pp. 68-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2014.02.021
- Jung, J., Kim, J., Yoon, S., Kim, S., Cho, H., Kim, C., and Heo, J. (2015a). "Bore-Sight Calibration of Multiple Laser Range Finders for Kinematic 3D Laser Scanning Systems." Sensors, 15(5), pp. 10292-10314. https://doi.org/10.3390/s150510292
- Jung, J., Yoon, S., Ju, S., and Heo, J. (2015b). "Development of Kinematic 3D Laser Scanning System for Indoor Mapping and As-Built BIM Using Constrained SLAM." Sensors, 15(10), pp. 26430-26456. https://doi.org/10.3390/s151026430
- Jung, J., Hong, S., Yoon, S., Kim, J., and Heo, J. (2015c). "Automated 3D Wireframe Modeling of Indoor Structures from Point Clouds Using Constrained Least-Squares Adjustment for As-Built BIM." Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000556, 04015074. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000556
- Jung, Y., Kim, Y., Kim, M., and Ju, T. (2013). "Concept and Structure of Parametric Object Breakdown Structure (OBS) for Practical BIM." Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, KICEM, 14(3), pp. 88-96. https://doi.org/10.6106/kJCEM.2013.14.3.088
- Kang, D., Zhang, G., and Suh. I. (2011). "Experimental Verification of a Vanishing Point-based Loop Closure Method in a Line-based SLAM under Various Environment." Information and control symposium, Seoul, Korea, pp. 119-120.
- Kang, L., Moon, H., Kim, H., and Kwak, J. (2013). "Usability Improvement of BIM for Construction Projects Using Active BIM Fuctions." Korean Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, KICEM, 14(5), pp. 74-83. https://doi.org/10.6106/KJCEM.2013.14.5.074
- Kim, R., Choi, H., and Kim, E. (2011). "GraphSLAM improved by removing measurement outliers." Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems, 21(4), pp. 493-498. https://doi.org/10.5391/JKIIS.2011.21.4.493
- Kummerle, R., Grisetti, G., Strasdat, H., Konolige, K., and Burgard, W. (2011). "g2o: a general framework for graph optimization." IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Shanghai, China. pp. 3607-3613.
- Martinez-Cantin, R., and Castellanos, J. A. (2005). "Unscented SLAM for large-scale outdoor environments." IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), Alberta, Canada. pp. 3427-3432.
- Neuhaus, F. (2011). "A Full 2D/3D GraphSLAM System for Globally Consistent Mapping based on Manifolds." Doctoral thesis, Universitat Koblenz-Landau. p. 85.
- Ochmann, S., Vock, R., Wessel, R., and Klein, R. (2016) . "Automatic reconstruction of parametric building models from indoor point clouds." Computers & Graphics, 54, pp. 94-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cag.2015.07.008
- Olson, E. B. (2009). "Real-time correlative scan matching." IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Kobe, Japan. pp. 4387-4393.
- Park, H., and Lee, K. (2011). "Pattern Recognition." Ehanmedia. p. 423.
- Petersen, K. B., and Pedersen, M. S. (2008). "The matrix cookbook." Technical University of Denmark, p. 15.
- Ryu, K. (2012). "Autonomous Robotic Strategies for Urban Search and Rescue." Doctoral thesis , Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. p. 109.
- Shojaie, K., and Shahri, A. M. (2008). "Iterated unscented SLAM algorithm for navigation of an autonomous mobile robot." International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), Nice, France, pp. 1582-1587.
- Song, J., and Hwang, S. (2014). "Past and state-ofthe-art SLAM technologies." Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems, 20(3), pp. 372-379. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2014.14.9024
- Tang, J., Chen, Y., Jaakkola, A., Liu, J., Hyyppa, J., and Hyyppa, H. (2014). "NAVIS-An UGV Indoor Positioning System Using Laser Scan Matching for Large-Area Real-Time Applications." Sensors, 14(7), pp. 11805-11824. https://doi.org/10.3390/s140711805
- Thomson, C., Apostolopoulos, G., Backes, D., and Boehm, J. (2013). "Mobile laser scanning for indoor modelling." ISPRS Workshop Laser Scanning, Antalya, Turkey. pp. 289-293.
- Thrun, S., and Montemerlo, M. (2006). "The graph SLAM algorithm with applications to large-scale mapping of urban structures." The International Journal of Robotics Research, 25(5-6), pp. 403-429. https://doi.org/10.1177/0278364906065387
- Turner, E. L. (2015). "3D Modeling of Interior Building Environments and Objects from Noisy Sensor Suites." Doctoral thesis, UC Berkeley.
- Wang, H., Fu, G., Li, J., Yan, Z. and Bian, X. (2013). "An adaptive UKF based SLAM method for unmanned underwater vehicle." Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2013, p. 12.
- Wong, K.D., and Fan, Q. (2013). "Building information modelling (BIM) for sustainable building design." Facilities, 31(3/4), pp. 138-157. https://doi.org/10.1108/02632771311299412
- Yin, J., Carlone, L., Rosa, S., Anjum, M. L., and Bona, B. (2014). "Scan Matching for Graph SLAM in Indoor Dynamic Scenarios." Conference on the 27th International Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society, Florida, USA. pp. 418-423.
Supported by : 한국연구재단