- Volume 16 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Association between Total Sleep Time and Suicidal Ideation in Adults over the Age of 20
20세 이상 성인의 수면시간과 자살생각과의 관련성
- Received : 2015.12.29
- Accepted : 2016.02.21
- Published : 2016.05.28
The purpose of this study was to identify association between total sleep time and suicidal ideation in adults with mental problems and without. The data were derived from the fifth Korea national health and nutrition examination survey and analyzed using the IBM SPSS Statistics version 21.0 software package considering complex samples analysis. The subjects were 6,199 adults. The rate of suicidal ideation was 13.7% (880 people). 13.3% (846 people) of the subjects had experienced depression and out of whom 43.1% (329 people) have had suicidal ideation. 2.7% (164 people) of the subject had received the mental health counseling, and out of whom 40.2% (63 people) have had suicidal ideation. Comparing to group having sleep over 6 hours of more, the group of short sleep had 1.33 times high risk of suicidal ideation among general adults, 1.92 times high risk of suicidal ideation among group who had experienced depression and, 7.10 times high risk of suicidal ideation among group who had received the mental health counseling. Therefore, these results indicate that general adults with short sleep time as well as adults with depression or mental health problems have to be managed to prevent suicide.
Sleep Time;Suicide Ideation
- OECD, OECD Health Data, 2014.
- 통계청, 2013년 사망원인통계, 2014.
- H. O'Connell, A. V. Chin, C. Cunningham, and B. A. Lawlor, "Recent developments: suicide in older people," BMJ: British Medical Journal, Vol.329, No.7471, p.895, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.329.7471.895
- K. Suominen, E. Isometsa, J. Suokas, J. Haukka, K. Achte, and J. Lonnqvist, "Completed suicide after a suicideattempt: A 37-year follow-up study," American Journal of Psychiatry, Vol.161, pp.562-563, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.161.3.562
- W. Kuo, J. J. Gallo, and A. Y. Tien, "Incidence of suicide ideation and attempts in adults: The 13-year follow-up of a community sample in Baltimore," Maryland Psychological Medicine, Vol.31, pp.1181-1191, 2001.
- L. Nrugham, B. Larsson, and A. M. Sund, "Specific depressive symptoms and disorders as associates and predictors of suicidal acts across adolescence," Journal of Affective Disorders, Vol.111, No.1, pp.83-93, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2008.02.010
- 전홍진, "우울증과 자살 역학연구," 대한의사협회지, 제55권, 제4호, pp.322-328, 2012.
- H. Blasco-Fontecilla, A. A. Alegria, J. LopezCastroman, T. Legido-Gil, J. Saiz-Ruiz, J. De Leon, and E. Baca-Garcia, "Short self-reported sleep duration and suicidal behavior: A cross-sectional study," Journal of Affective Disorders, Vol.133, No.1, pp.239-246, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2011.04.003
- 이원철, 하재혁, "비정규직과 자살생각의 관련성: 제1-4기 국민건강영양조사 토대," 대한직업환경의학회지, 제23권, 제1호, pp.89-97, 2011.
- C. L. Turvey, Y. Conwell, M. P. Jones, C. Phillips, E. Simonsick, J. L. Pearson, and R. Wallace, "Risk factors for late-life suicide: a prospective, community-based study," The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Vol.10, No.4, pp.398-406, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1097/00019442-200207000-00006
- 이유진, 김석주, 조인희, 김종훈, 배승민, 고승희, 조성진, "일 도시지역 주민들의 수면시간과 자살사고의 연관성에 관한 연구," 대한수면의학회, 제16권, 제2호, pp.85-90, 2009.
- M. R. Nadorff, S. Nazem, and A. Fiske, "Insomnia symptoms, nightmares, and suicidal ideation in a college student sample," Sleep, Vol.34, No.1, p.93, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/34.1.93
- B. Krakow, A. Artar, T. D. Warner, D. Melendrez, L. Johnston, M. Hollifield, and M. Koss, "Sleep disorder, depression and suicidality in female sexual assault survivors," Crisis: The Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention, Vol.21, No.4, pp.163-170, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1027//0227-5910.21.4.163
- 박영민, 강승걸, 이헌정, 김린, "우울증 환자에서 불면과 자살, 세로토닌의 연관성," 수면.정신생리, 제21권, 제1호, pp.29-32, 2014.
- R. D. Goodwin and A. Marusic, "Association between short sleep and suicidal ideation and suicide attempt among adults in the general population," Sleep, Vol.31, No.8, p.1097, 2008.
- R. A. Bernert, T. E. Joiner, K. C. Cukrowicz, N. B. Schmidt, and B. Krakow, "Suicidality and sleep disturbances," Sleep, Vol.8, No.9, pp.1135-1141, 2005.
- J. L. Lee, M. B. Lee, S. C. Liao, C. M. Chang, S. C. Sung, and H. C. Chiang, et al., "Prevalence of suicidal ideation and associated risk factors in the general population," Journal of the Formosan Medical Association, Vol.109, pp.138-147, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0929-6646(10)60034-4
- 김기태, 최송식, 박미진, 박선희, 고수희, 박현숙, "가족구조와 사회심리적 요인이 노인의 자살생각에 미치는 영향," 노인복지연구, 제52권, pp.205-228, 2011.
- 김수현, 최연희, "신체적 건강상태가 노인의 자살생각에 미치는 영향," 한국노년학회, 제27권, 제4호, pp.775-788, 2007.
- M. K. Nock, G. Borges, E. J. Bromet, J. Alonso, M. Angermeyer, and A. Beautrais, et al., "Cross-national prevalence and risk factors for suicidal ideation, plans and attempts," British Journal of Psychiatry, Vol.192, pp.98-105, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.107.040113
- 송인환, 김희진, "기혼 직장인의 우울과 자살생각, 그리고 음주의 관계," 정신보건과 사회사업, 제36권, pp.5-34, 2010.
- K. L. Knutson, E. Van Cauter, P. J. Rathouz, T. DeLeire, and D. S. Lauderdale, "Trends in the prevalence of short sleepers in the USA: 1975-2006," Sleep, Vol.33, No.1, pp.37-45, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/33.1.37
- G. Borges, M. K. Nock, J. M. Haro Abad, I. Hwang, N. A. Sampson, and J. Alonso, et al., "Twelve-month prevalence of and risk factors for suicide attempts in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys," Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, Vol.71, pp.1617-1628, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.08m04967blu
- W. R. Pigeon, M. Pinquart, and K. Conner, "Meta-analysis of sleep disturbance and suicidal thoughts and behaviors," Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, Vol.73, No.9, pp.e1160-1167, 2012. https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.11r07586
- 김경미, 염유식, "청소년의 수면시간과 자살충동," 한국콘텐츠학회논문지, 제15권, 제12호, pp.314-325, 2015.
- The Effect of Health-Related Habitual Consumption and Lifetime on Subjective Health of One Person Households: Focusing on Comparison between Non-One Person Households and Generations vol.55, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.6115/fer.2017.011