- Volume 25 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Growth Responses of Eggplant (Solanum melongena) to Hydrophilic Polymer Mixture Ratio in Growing Medium for Lower Maintenance Urban Agriculture via Green Roofs
옥상 내 저관리 도시농업에서 친수성 중합체 배합비에 따른 가지(Solanum melongena)의 생육반응
Ju, Jin-Hee;Kim, Won-Tae;Xu, Hui;Yoon, Young-Han;Choi, Eun-Young
- Received : 2016.01.18
- Accepted : 2016.04.07
- Published : 2016.05.31
This study was conducted to investigate the influence of hydrophilic polymer (HP) mixture ratio (Control, 1.0%, 2.5%, 5.0%, and 10.0%) on growth of eggplant (Solanum melongena) for lower maintenance urban agriculture via green roofs. Although it was not statistically significant (p > 0.05), substrate temperature was decreased as hydrophilic polymer mixture ratio were increased. High substrate water content (95%) was found consistently in growing media under elevated hydrophilic polymer mixture ratio at over 5% during the entire growing period. Substrate electronic conductivity was increased as hydrophilic polymer mixture ratio were increased. Growth index was decreased as hydrophilic polymer mixture ratio was increased. It was reduced about 1/3 and 1/5 compared to that of Control in HP5.0 and HP10.0 treatment plants, respectively. Number of leaves, leaf length, and leaf width were decreased in following order: Control> HP1.0> HP2.5> HP5.0> HP10.0 treatments. There numbers were significantly lower in HP5.0 and HP10.0 treatment plants. Dry weight of shoot and root were decreased as hydrophilic polymer mixture ratio was increased. They were reduced by 1/4 compared to those of Control treatment plants. In addition, visual value was decreased as hydrophilic polymer mixture ratio was increased. Plants grown in HP1.0, HP2.5, and HP5.0 treatments all survived. However, plants grown in the HP10.0 treatment had the lowest survival rate (56%) after 3 months of growing. These results indicate that the advantage of adding hydrophilic polymer to green roof growing media may greater during dry periods. However, the proper mixture proportion of hydrophilic polymer should be determined according to different characteristics of growing media and plant species.
Electronic conductivity;Growth index;Survival rate;Volumetric soil water content;Visual value
- Andrea, N., Sergio, A., Maurizio, C., 2012, Influence of substrate depth and vegetation type on temperature and water runoff mitigation by extensive green roofs: Shrubs versus herbaceous plants, Urban Ecosystem, 15, 697-708. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11252-011-0220-5
- Ali, L. K. M., 2011, Significance of applied cellulose polymer and organic manure for ameliorating hydrophysico-chemical properties of sandy soil and maize yield, Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Science, 5, 23-35.
- Choi, J. M., Min, K. R., Choi, J. S., 2000, Soil residual activity of surfactant mixtures containing polyoxyethylene octylphenyl ether and their effect on initial wetting and water movement in container media, Korean Journal of Horticultural Science & Technology, 18(5), 612-620.
- Dunnett, N. P., Kingsbury, N., 2013, Planting green roofs and living walls, 3rd ed., Timber Press, Portland, 125-147.
- Elliott, G. C., 1992, Imbibition of water by rockwool-peat container media amended with hydrophilic gel or wetting agent, Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science, 117, 757-761.
- Farrell, C., Ang, X. Q., Rayner, J. P., 2013, Water-retention additives increase plant available water in green roof substrate, Ecological Engineering, 52, 112-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2012.12.098
- Getter, K. L., Rowe, D. B., 2006, The Role of extensive green roofs in sustainable development, HortScience, 45(5), 1276-1285.
- Giuseppe, M., Giuseppe, L. R., Marta, F., Antonietta, D. A., Gianluca, F., Laura, T., Federica, C., Nazzareno, A., Roverto, L., 2010, Characterization of healthrelated compounds in eggplant (Solanum melongena L.) lines derived from introgression of allied species, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 58, 7597-7603. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf101004z
- Hammond, H. E., Norcini, J. G., Wilson, S. B., Schoellhorn, R. K., Miller, D. L., 2007, Growth, flowering, and survival of fire wheel gaillardia pulchella foug based on seed source and growing location, Native Plants Journal, 8, 25-39. https://doi.org/10.2979/NPJ.2007.8.1.25
- Kang, K. H., Kwon, J. K., Lee, J. H., Kang, N. J., 2005, Effect of automatic irrigation by soil moisture tension meter to growth and yield of eggplant, Korean Journal of Horticultural Science and Technology, 23, 63.
- Kim, H. J., Kang, S. L., Lee, S. B., Hong, I. K., Kim, S. C., 1998, A Study on swelling of high absorptive resin-polymer blends, Applied Chemistry, 2(2), 596-599.
- Kim, K. N., Park, S. H., 2011, Effect of high water-swelling polymer rate on seedling survival of major turfgrasses grown on soil organic amendment mixtures, Journal of the Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology, 14(2), 21-32.
- Lawrence, J. B., Hillary, O., Gerald, A., John, D. K., Martin, W., Alovs, H., 2013, Effects of hydrogels on tree seedling performance in temperature soils before and after water stress, Journal of Environment Protection, 4, 713-721. https://doi.org/10.4236/jep.2013.47082
- Monterusso, M. A., Rowe, D., Rugh, C. L., 2005, Establishment and persistence of sedum spp. and native taxa for green roof applications, HortScience, 40(2), 391-396.
- Taban, M., Movahedi, N. S., 2006, Effect of aquasorb and organic compost amendments on soil water retention and evaporation with different evaporation potentials and soil texture, Communication in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, 37, 13-14. https://doi.org/10.1080/00103620500403119
- The Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture, 2013, Standard of Landscape Architecture Design, 4th ed., Munundang, Seoul, 436-437.
- Roh, K. S., 2008, Biochemical properties of eggplant fruit lectin, Journal of Life Science, 18(3), 350-356. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.3.350
- Rowe, D. B., Monterusso, M. A., Rugh, C. L., 2006, Assessment of hat-expanded slate and fertility requirements in green roof substrates, Hort Technology, 16(3), 471-477.
- Um, Y. C., 2000, Techniques on the forcing culture of eggplant in Japan, Protected Horticulture and Plant Factory, 13(1), 94-104.
- Wallace, A., Abouzamzam, A. M., 1986, Interactions of soil conditioner with other limitation factors to achieve high crop yieids, Soil Science, 141, 343-345. https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-198605000-00008
- Whittinghill, L. J., Rowe, D. W., 2011, The Role of green roof technology in urban agriculture, Renewable Agriculture and Food System, 27(4), 314-322.
- Yang, J., Yoon, Y. H., Ju, J. H., 2014, Evaluation of hydrophilic polymer on the growth of plants in the extensive green roofs, Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology, 28(3), 357-364. https://doi.org/10.13047/KJEE.2014.28.3.357