- Volume 25 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Distribution Characteristics of Functional Feeding Groups of Benthic Macroinvertebrates and Biological Evaluation of Water Quality in Jirisan National Park
지리산국립공원 저서성 대형무척추동물의 섭식기능군 분포 특성과 생물학적 수질평가
Bang, Gi-Jun;Kim, Hyoung-Gon;Yoon, Chun-Sik;Cheong, Seon-Woo
- Received : 2016.02.07
- Accepted : 2016.04.27
- Published : 2016.05.31
The distribution characteristics of functional feeding groups and biological evaluation of water quality with benthic macroinvertebrates were investigated from 2013 to 2014 in the mountain streams of Jirisan National Park. Both quantitative and qualitative collection had been performed six times during study periods in twelve sites located at upstream, midstream and downstream of four valleys, Chilsungol, Baemsagol, Daesunggol and Piagol of freshwater ecosystem in Jirisan National Park. As results, the total collected benthic macroinvertebrates were 3 phyla, 4 classes, 11 orders, 37 families, 107 species and 4,028 individuals. In 2013, 3 phyla, 4 classes, 10 orders, 32 families, 89 species and 1,829 individuals were collected. And in 2014, 3 phyla, 4 classes, 9 orders, 31 families, 80 species and 2,199 individuals were identified. The total dominant species was Ecdyonurus kibumensis, and EPT groups occupied 80.39% of total species number. Biotic indices were also compared to site and to season. The dominant index (DI) was highest at the downstream of Baemsagol in the spring of 2013, and the evenness index (J') was highest at the downstream of Daesunggol in the summer of 2013. Both diversity index (H') and richness index (RI) were highest at the upstream of Baemsagol in the summer of 2014. The correlation between altitude above sea level and functional feeding groups of benthic macroinvertebrates was also researched in this study. As a result, the species number of shredders and predators have significantly increased according to the increase of the altitude of their habitat. On the other hand, individuals of gathering collectors have increased according to the increase of altitude. The biological water quality was evaluated and compared with several methods in this study, and we suggest that ESB and GPI are more appropriate than KSI and BMI to evaluate biological water quality of mountain stream water.
Functional feeding groups;Benthic macro-invertebrates;Biological evaluation of water quality;Jirisan national park
- Budin, K., Jubok, Z., Gabda, D., Abdullah, N., Ahmed, A., 2008, Effect of water parameters on Ephemeroptera abundance in Telipok River, Sabah Malaysia, Wseas Transactions on Environment and Development, 5(4), 447-451.
- Chilton, E. W., 1991, Macroinvertebrate communities associated with three aquatic macrophytes (Ceratophyllum derersum, Myiophyllum spicatum, and Vallisneria americana) in lake Onalaska, Wiscosin, J. Fresh-water Ecol., 5(4), 455-466.
- Cummins, K. W., 1973, Trophic relations of aquatic insects, Ann. Rev. Entomol., 18, 183-206. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.en.18.010173.001151
- Cummins, K. W., 1974, Structure and function of stream ecosystem, Bioscience, 24(11), 631-641. https://doi.org/10.2307/1296676
- Cummins, K. W., Klug, M. J., 1979, Feeding ecology of stream invertebrates, Ann. Rev. Syst., 10, 147-172. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.es.10.110179.001051
- DIN 38410, 1990, Part 2, Biological-ecological Analysis of water (group M): Determination of the saprobic index (M2), German standard methods for the examination of water, Waste Water and Sludge, 1-10.
- Hellawell, J. M., 1986, Biological indicators of fresh-water pollution and environmental management, London, Elsevier. 1-546.
- Kawai, T., Tanida, K., 2005, Aquatic insects of Japan, Tokai University Press, Japan, 27-1275.
- Kim, H. G., Yoon, C. S., Hwang, J. W., Park, E. H., Cheong, S. W., 2014. A Characteristic of community distribution on benthic macro-invertebrates in major streams of Jirisan Mountain, Journal of Environmental Science International, 23(2), 291-302. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2014.23.2.291
- Kong, D. S., 1997, Benthic macroinvertebrates in Hongseong and Yesan Country, Ministry of Environment, Natural Environment in Yesan, Seosan and Hongseong, 155-204.
- Korea National Park Service, 2003, Natural resources survey on Jirisan National Park, Korea National Park Service, 121-139.
- Kwon, O. G., 1990. Illustrated encyclopedia of fauna & flora of Korea, Vol. 32, Min. Edu. Korea, 2-446.
- Lee, C. E., 1971, Illustrated encyclopedia of fauna & flora of Korea, Vol. 12, Min. Edu. Korea, 386-448.
- Margalef, R., 1958, Temporal succession and spatial heterogenity in natural phytoplankton, In perspectives in marine biology, Univ. of California Press, 323-349.
- Merritt, R. W., Berg, M. B., Cummins, K. W., 1996, An Introduction to the aquatic insects of North America, 3rd. Ed., Kendall/Hunt, Dubuque, Iowa. 1-1214.
- McNaughton, S. J., 1967, Relationship among functional properties of Califonia grassland, Nature, 216, 168-169.
- NIER. 2011, Research and evaluation in health of aquatic ecosystems, NIER. 3-441.
- Pielou, E. C., 1975, Species-diversity and pattern diversity in the study of ecological succession, J. Theor. Biol., 10, 370-383.
- Ro, T. H., Chun, D. J., 2004, Functional feeding group categorization of Korean immature aquatic insects and community stability analysis, Korean J. Limnol., 37(2), 137-148.
- Shannon, C. E., Weaver, W., 1949, The mathematical Theory of communication Unv. Illinois press. Urban, IL, 1-144.
- The Entomological Society of Korea and Korean Society of Applied Entomology, 1994, Check list of insects from Korea, Kon-Kuk University Press, 5-744.
- The Korean Society of Systematic Zoology, 1997, List of Animals in Korea (excluding insects), The Korean Society of Systematic Zoology, 3-489.
- Theischinger, G., 1991, The Insects of Australia, Melbourne University Press, 311-319.
- Ward, J. V., 1992, Aquatic insect ecology, John Wiley & Sons, 2-438.
- Won, D. H., Kwon, S. J., Jun, Y. C., 2005, Aquatic insects of Korea, Korea Ecosystem Service, 1-415.
- Yoon, I. B., 1988, Illustrated encyclopedia of fauna & flora of Korea, Vol. 30 (aquatic insects), Min. Edu. Korea., 7-840.
- Yoon, I. B., Song, M. Y., 1989, A Revision of the taxonomy of Korean black-flies (Simuliidae: Diptera) I, The larval and pupal stages of subgenus Simulium, Entomological Research Bulletin, 15, 35-64.
- Yoon, I. B., Kong, D. S., Ryu, J. K., 1992, Studies on the biological evaluation of water quality by benthic macroinvertebrates (I)-saprobic valency and individuals value, Korean Journal of Environment Biology, 10(1), 24-39.
- Zelinka, M., Marvan, P., 1961, Zur Priizisierung der Biologischen Klassifikation der Reinheid Fliessender Gewasser, Arch. Hydrobiolog., 57, 389-407.
Supported by : 국립공원관리공단