- Volume 40 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
An Analytical Study on Crack Behavior Inside Standard Compact Tension Specimen with Holes
구멍들을 가진 표준 CT 시험편 내에서의 크랙 거동에 대한 해석적 연구
- Received : 2015.03.31
- Accepted : 2016.03.21
- Published : 2016.06.01
The damage and fracture of machine or structure are caused by the crack happened from the defect existed at the inside of material. The properties of crack propagation and growth characteristic must be considered because there are many cases at which these cracks are densely existed. Therefore, this study investigates the fracture property due to the position of crack and hole inside the standard compact tension (C. T.) specimen. When the concentrated load is applied eccentrically at the standard C. T. specimen, the fracture mechanical behavior due to the existence or non-existence and the position of hole near crack is investigated. As the result of analysis study, model 3 (in case of the distance of 2mm on the horizontal direction between the end part and hole as the specimen model existed with one hole near the crack) has the maximum deformation, stress and deformation energy of the most values among three models. As the distance between the crack and hole inside the specimen becomes nearer, the maximum stress becomes higher in cases of three models. Apart from the number of holes, it is seen that the maximum stress becomes higher near the crack when the hole exists near the crack inside the specimen. If the hole inside the machine or the mechanical structure is punctured by using the result of this study, it is thought that the occurred breakage or breakdown can be prevented by reducing the fracture stress happened at the specimen.
Compact Tension Specimen;Total Deformation;Strain Energy;Equivalent Stress;Stress Intensity Factor
- Jin, C., Jin, K. K., Ha, S. K., Seo, H. S. and Yoon, I. S., 2012, "Structure Analysis and Design Optimization of Stiffeners in LNG Tanks," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 325-330.
- Song, K. N., Hong, S. D. and Park, H. Y., 2012, "Macroscopic High-Temperature Structural Analysis of PHE Prototypes Considering Weld Material Properties," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 36, No. 9, pp. 1095-1101. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.9.1095
- Kang, S. S. and Lee, J. H., 2011, "Evaluation of Fatigue Life and Structural Analysis for Dish-Type and Spoke-Type Automobile Wheels," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 35, No. 10, pp. 1315-1321. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2011.35.10.1315
- Song, K. N., Lee, H. Y., Hong, S. D. and Park, H. Y., 2011, "Macroscopic High-Temperature Structural Analysis Model of Small-Scale PCHE Prototype (II)," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 35, No. 9, pp. 1137-1143. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2011.35.9.1137
- Won, B. R., Jung, H. Y. and Han, J. S., 2013, "Structural Analysis and Shape Optimization for Rotor of Turbomolecular Pump Using P-Method," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 37, No. 10, pp. 1279-1289. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.10.1279
- Lee, D. H., Kim, H. S., Kim, B. K. and Lee, S. H., 2012, "Underwater Structure-Borne Noise Analysis Using Finite Element/Boundary Element Coupled Approach," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 36, No. 7, pp. 789-796. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.7.789
- Yoo, S. Y., Jun, B. H., Shim, H. W. and Lee, P. M., 2014, "Finite Element Analysis of CFRP Frame under Launch and Recovery Conditions for Subsea Walking Robot, Crabster," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 419-425. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2014.38.4.419
- Park, C. W., 2011, "Injection Molding and Structure Analysis of Inline Skate Frames Using FEA," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 35, No. 11, pp. 1507-1514. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2011.35.11.1507
- Lee, J. O., Lee, Y. S., Lee, H. S., Jun, J. T., Kim, J. H. and Kim, C. G., 2008, "Structural Analysis on the Heavy Duty Diesel Engine and Optimization for Bearing Cap," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 32, No. 5, pp. 402-410. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2008.32.5.402
- Han, C. W., Oh, C. M. and Hong, W. S., 2013, "Stress Analysis for Bendable Electronic Module Under Thermal-Hygroscopic Complex Loads," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 37, No. 5, pp. 619-624. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.5.619
- Bao, C., Cai, L., Shi, K. and Yao, Y., 2015, "Estimation of J-resistance Curves for CT Specimen Based on Unloading Compliance Method and CMOD Data," Journal of Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 517-527.
- Sun, P. J., Wang, G., Xuan, F., Tu, S. and Wang, Z., 2011, "Quantitative Characterization of Creep Constraint Induced by Crack Depths in Compact Tension Specimens," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 78, No. 4, pp. 653-665. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfracmech.2010.11.017
- Wang, G., Liu, X. L., Xuan, F. and Tu, S., 2010, "Effect of Constraint Induced by Crack Depth on Creep Crack-Tip Stress Field in CT Specimens," International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 51-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2009.09.015
- Cho, J. U., 1986, "The Mechanical Behavior of the Crack near the Distributed Defects," Ph. D. Thesis, Inha University, Rep. of Korea.
- Annual Book of ASTM Standards, 1983, "Standard Method of Test for Plain-Strain Fracture Toughness of Metallic Materials E399-83," Philadelphia, Pa., Part 10.
- Liu, C. H. and Chu, S. J., 2014, "Prediction of Shape Change of Semi-elliptical Surface Crack by Fatigue Crack Growth Circles Parameter," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology , Vol. 28, No. 12, pp. 4921-4928. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-014-1111-5
- Jung, S. H. and Lee, H. G., 2011, "Crack-tip Opening Angle-based Numerical Implementation for Fully Plastic Crack Growth Analyses," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 1201-1206. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-011-0225-2
- Wen, J. S., Ju, W. E., Han, T. K., Choi, S. T. and Lee, K. S., 2012, "Finite Element Analysis of a Subsurface Penny-shaped Crack with Crack-face Contact and Friction under a Moving Compressive Load," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology , Vol. 26, No. 9, pp. 2719-2726. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-012-0741-8
- Jung, S. H. and Lee, H. G., 2011, "Crack-tip Field Characterization of Crack-tip Opening Angle-based Crack Growth - Plane Strain Single-edge Cracked Specimen Subject to Pure Extension," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology , Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 1207-1213. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-011-0226-1
Supported by : 한국연구재단