- Volume 40 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Reliability Assessment of Impact Tensile Testing Apparatus using a Drop-bar Striker for Intermediate Strain-rate Range and Evaluation of Dynamic Deformation Behaviors for a Carbon Steel
중간 변형률속도용 낙추식 충격 인장시험 장치의 신뢰성 확보 및 탄소강의 동적변형거동 평가
- Received : 2016.01.20
- Accepted : 2016.03.21
- Published : 2016.06.01
Studies on the deformation behavior of materials subjected to impact loads have been carried out in various fields of engineering and industry. The deformation and fracture of members for these machines/structures are known to correspond to the intermediate strain-rate region. Therefore, for the structural design, it is necessary to consider the dynamic deformation behavior in these intermediate strain-rate ranges. However, there have been few reports with useful data about the deformation and fracture behavior at intermediate strain-rate ranges. Because the intermediate strain-rate region is located between quasi-static and high strain-rate regions, it is difficult to obtain the intermediate strain-rate using conventional reasonable test equipment. To solve this problem, in this study, the measurement reliability of the constructed drop-bar impact tensile test apparatus was established and the dynamic behavior at the intermediate strain-rate range of carbon steels was evaluated by utilizing the apparatus.
Impact Tensile Test;Long Output Bar;Drop-bar Striker;Dynamic Deformation;Intermediate Strain-rate
- Boyce, B. L. and Dilmore, M. F., 2009, "The Dynamic Tensile Behavior of Tough, Ultrahighstrength Steels at Strain-rates from 0.0002 s-1 to 200 s -1," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 263-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2007.11.006
- Murr, L. E., 1987, Metallurgical Effects of Shock and High-strain-rate Loading, Elsevier Applied Science, England, T. Z. Blazynski Editor, pp. 1-46.
- Meyers, M. A., 1994, Dynamic Behavior of Materials, New York, John Wiley & Sons.
- Bleck, W. and Schael, I., 2000, "Determination of Crash-relevant Material Parameters by Dynamic Tensile Tests," Steel Research, Vol. 71, No. 5, pp. 173-178. https://doi.org/10.1002/srin.200005709
- Regazzoni, G., Johnson, J. N. and Follansbee, P. S., 1986, "Theoretical Study of the Dynamic Tensile Test," Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 519-528. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3171805
- Shin, H. S., Lee, H. M. and Kim, M. S., 2000, "Impact Tensile Behavior of 9% Nickel Steel at Low Temperature," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 6, pp. 571-581. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(99)00181-5
- Singh, N. K., Cadoni, E., Singha, M. K. and Gupta, N. K., 2011, "Dynamic Tensile Behavior of Multi Phase High Yield Strength Steel," Material and Design, Vol. 32, No. 10, pp. 5091-5098. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2011.06.027
- Huh, H., Kim, S. B., Song, J. H. and Lim, J. H., 2008, "Dynamic Tensile Characteristics of TRIP-type and DP-type Steel Sheets for an Auto-body," International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 50, No. 5, pp. 918-931. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmecsci.2007.09.004
- Bardelcik, A., Salisbury, C. P., Wells, M. A. and Worswik, M. J., 2010, "Effect of Cooling Rate on the High Strain Rate Properties of Boron Steel," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 37, No. 6, pp. 694-702. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2009.05.009
- Kim, H. J., Kim, C. M., Barlat, F., Pavlina, E. and Lee, M. G., 2013, "Nonlinear Elastic Behaviors of Low and High Strength Steels in Unloading and Reloading," Materials Science and Engineering A, Vol. 562, pp. 161-171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2012.11.020
- Lee, H. J., Song, J. H., Huh, H. and Park, S. H., 2007, "Dynamic Constitutive Equations of AutoBody Steel Sheets with the Variation of Temperature (I)," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 174-181. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2007.31.2.174
- Lee, H. J., Song, J. H., Huh, H. and Park, S. H., 2007, "Dynamic Constitutive Equations of Auto-Body Steel Sheets with the Variation of Temperature (II)," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 182-189. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2007.31.2.182
- Shin, H. S., Bae, K. O., Kim, D. W., Park, L. J. and Kim, H. W., 2015, "Investigation of Dynamic Deformation Behaviors in Structural Steels at Intermediate Strain Rates using Newly Constructed Impact Tensile Test Apparatus," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Submitted.
- ASTM E8-01, 2002, Standard Test Methods for Tension Testing of Metallic Materials, Annual Book of ASTM Standards: Section 3 - Metals Test Methods and Analytical Procedures, Vol. 3.01, West Conshohocken, PA: ASTM, pp. 60-103.
- Shin, H. S. and Tuazon, B. J., 2015, "An Instrumented Drop-bar Impact Testing Apparatus for Investigating the Impact Fracture Behaviors of Structural Steels," International Journal of Impact Engineering, Vol. 84, No. 10, pp. 124-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2015.05.017
- Lee, S. H., Tuazon, B. and Shin, H. S., 2014, "Construction of Data Acquisition/Processing System for Precise Measurement in Split Hopkinson Pressure Bar Test, Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 566, pp. 554-559. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.566.554
- Tuazon, B. J., Bae, K. O., Lee, S. H. and Shin, H. S., 2014, "Integration of a New Data Acquisition/ Processing Scheme in SHPB Test and Characterization of the Dynamic Material Properties of High-strength Steels Using the Optional form of Johnson-Cook Model," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 28, No. 9, pp. 3561-3568. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-014-0817-8
Supported by : 국방과학연구소