- Volume 29 Issue 2
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to report the effect of Korean medical treatment on a patient with trigeminal neuralgia during pregnancy. Methods: We treated a facial pain patient diagnosed as trigeminal neuralgia during pregnancy with acupuncture, cupping and herbal medicines. Herbal medicines were prescribed according to the patient's Sasang constitution which was Soeumin. The severity of symptom was evaluated by Numeric Rating System (NRS). Results: After treatment, the patient's facial pain caused by trigeminal neuralgia was improved. NRS score was decreased from 6 to 0. Conclusions: This case report shows that traditional Korean medical treatment and Sasang constitution medicine is effective for the patient with trigeminal neuralgia during pregnancy.
trigeminal neuralgia;traditional Korean medicine;pregnancy;Sasang constitution medicine
- Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. The acupuncture and moxibustion medicine. Paju:Jipmoondang. 2008:2nd vol. 518, 522, 3rd vol. 3-6.
- Korean Pain Society. Textbook of Pain Medicine. 4th rev. ed. Seoul:Shinwon Medical Books. 2012:314-6.
- Jeong SM, et al. A Case Report of the Patient with Trigeminal NeuralgiaTreated by Bee Venom Pharmacopuncture Therapy. J of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2008;25(5):1-8.
- The Korean Headache Society. The Headache. Seoul:Koonja Publishing Inc. 2009:289, 292-3.
- Kim JW, et al. Validity Study of the Questionnaire for Doctors for Sasang Constitution Diagnosis. Korean J Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2006;20(1):209-14.
- Sung BG, Oh CK, Lim KS. Study of literature on the Trigeminal Neuralgiafor cooperative treatment of Oriental and Occidental medicine. The J of Oriental Medical Surgery, Ophtalmology & Otolaryngology. 2000;13(2):112-39.
- Bao XQ, Tong XL. Yinanbingzhongyizhiliaojiyanjiu. Beijing:People's Medical Publishing House. 1995:353-67.
- Kim KJ, et al. A Case Report of Trigeminal Neuralgia dignosed weakness During Pregnancy. J Korean Obstet Gynecol. 2005;18(3):234-41.
- Kim KO, et al. The Preliminary Study for Pain Measurements of HeadachePatients used by Pain Face Scale. J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2010;21(3):65-75.
- Korean Neurological Association. Neurology. 2nd rev. ed. Seoul:Bummoon Education. 2012:271-2.
- Choi YT, Cheon JS. Teratogenic Effect of Carbamazepine. Korean J of Biological Psychiatry. 1998;5(2):283-7.
- Korean Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Obstetrics. 4th rev. ed. Seoul:Koonja Publishing Inc. 2007:914-5.
- The Society of Korean Medical Classics. Ryupyeonhwangjenaegyeong. 2nd rev. ed. Daejeon:Jumin publishing. 2006:942, 1037.
- Wang KT. Zhengzhizhunsheng. Beijing: Zhongguoyixue. 1997:116-8.
- Zhang L. Zhangshiyitong. Shanghai: Shanghai Science Technology WenxianPublishing House. 1963:236-7.
- Kim DI, Kim MS, Yeogwagyeongryunsinhae. Seoul:Bomyeongbooks. 2006:120, 123.
- Society of Sasang Constitution Medicine. Sasangeuihak. Paju:Jipmoondang. 2004:203-23.
- Nam SC, et al. Experimental Study on Anti-allergic and Anti-inflammatory Effects of Soeumin-Googwihyangso-san Methanol Extract in Vitro. Korean J of Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2009;23(1):41-9.
- Lee SG, Kim JW. The experimental study on the effects of Hyangbuzapalmultangon anti-stress and immune response in immobilization stressed rats. The J of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 1997;8(1):81-93.
- Kim CM, Ryu SS. Dongeuisasangjeonghae. Seoul:Academiseojeok. 2000:556.
- Kwon KW, Shin SW, Park JH. Inhibitory Effent of Allergic Reaction by Gunggwihyangso-san. Korean J of Oriental Physiology & Pathology. 2008;22(3):585-92.