- Volume 16 Issue 2
A single-ended primary-inductor converter (SEPIC) features low input current ripple and output voltage up/down capability. However, the switching devices in a two-level SEPIC suffer from high voltage stresses and switching losses. To cope with this drawback, this study proposes a three-level SEPIC that uses a low voltage-rated switch and thus achieves better switching performance compared with the two-level SEPIC. The three-level SEPIC can reduce switch voltage stresses and switching losses. The converter operation and control method are described in this work. The experimental results for a 500 W prototype converter are also discussed. Experimental results show that unlike the two-level SEPIC, the three-level SEPIC achieves improved power efficiency with balanced capacitor voltages.
Output capacitor voltage balancing;Switching loss;Three-level single-ended primary-inductor converter (SEPIC);Voltage stress
- M. S. Song, Y. D. Son, and K. H. Lee, “Non-isolated bidirectional soft-switching SEPIC/ZETA converter with reduced ripple currents,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 649-660, Jul. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.4.649
- C. L. Shen, and S. H. Yang, "Dual-output single-stage bridgeless SEPIC with power factor correction," Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 309-318, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.2.309
- V. Subramanian, and S. Manimaran, “Design of parallel-operated SEPIC converters using coupled inductor for load-sharing,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 327-337, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.2.327
- L. Elie, A. David, C. Richard, and G. Daniel, “Buck-boost converter for sensorless power optimization of piezoelectric energy harvester,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 2018-2025, Sep. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.904230
- L. F. Jesus, S. R. Hebertt, F. C. L. Edel, and A. C. O. Marco, “Sensorless passivity based control of a DC motor via a solar powered SEPIC converter-full bridge combination,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 5, pp. 743-750, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.5.743
- N. F. N. Maged, “Design of a digital PWM controller for a soft switching SEPIC converter,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 152-160, Jul. 2004.
- I. D. Kim, J. Y. Kim, E. C. Nho, and H. G. Kim, “Analysis and design of a soft-switched PWM SEPIC DC-DC converter,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 461-467, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.5.461
- S. Ceballos, J. Pou, E. Robles, I. Gabiola, J. Zaragoza, J. L. Villate, and D. Boroyevich, “Three-level converter topologies with switch breakdown fault-tolerance capability,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 3, pp. 982-995, Mar. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.917072
- W. S. Oh, S. K. Han, S. W. Choi, and G. W. Moon, “A three phase three-level PWM switched voltage source inverter with zero neutral point potential,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 224-232, Jul. 2005.
- H. Sheng, F. Wang, and C. W. Tipton, “A fault detection and protection scheme for three-level DC-DC converters based on monitoring flying capacitor voltage,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 685-697, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2161333
- X. Yu, K. Jin, and Z. Liu, “Capacitor voltage control strategy for half-bridge three-level DC/DC converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 1557-1561, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2279173
- Z. Zhou, and L. Li, "Isolated SEPIC three-level DC-DC converter," in Proc. IEEE Ind. Electron. Appl. Conf., pp. 2162-2165, 2011.
- F. Silva, “Power electronics and energy conversion systems, Vol. 1: fundamentals and hard-switching converters,” IEEE Ind. Electron. Magazine, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 66-67, Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIE.2014.2316048
- Three Level SEPIC For Hybrid Wind-Solar Energy Systems vol.117, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2017.05.114
Grant : BIPV 시스템을 위한 고효율 모듈형 마이크로 인버터 연구
Supported by : 전북대학교