- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Method to Compensate the Distorted Space Vectors in the Unbalanced Neutral Point Voltage of 3-level NPC PWM Inverters
Hyun, Seung-Wook;Hong, Seok-Jin;Lee, Jung-Hyo;Lee, Chun-Bok;Won, Chung-Yuen
- Received : 2015.05.22
- Accepted : 2015.10.01
- Published : 2016.03.20
This paper proposes a compensation method to improve the distorted space vectors when a 3-level Neutral Point Clamped (NPC) inverter has an unbalanced neutral point voltage. Since both the neutral point voltage of the DC link and the space vector of a 3-level NPC inverter are closely related depending on the output load connecting state, a distorted space vector can occur when the neutral point voltage of a 3-level NPC inverter is unbalanced. The proposed method can improve the distorted space vectors by adjusting the injection time of the small and medium vectors and by modulating the amplitude of the carrier waveforms. In this paper, the proposed method is verified by both simulation and experimental results based on a 3-level NPC inverter.
Neutral point voltage;NPC inverter;Space vector;Unbalance
- T. A. Meynard, H. Foch, P. Thomas, J. Courault, R. Jakob, and M. Nahrstaedt, “Multicell converters: basic concepts and industry applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 5, pp. 955-964, Oct. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.803174
- K. Ma and F. Blaabjerg, “Modulation methods for neutral-point-clamped wind power converter achieving loss and thermal redistribution under low-voltage ride-through,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 2, pp. 835-845, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2254099
- S. Daher, J. Schmid, and F. L. M. Antunes, “Multilevel inverter topologies for stand-alone PV systems,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 7, pp. 2703–2712, Jul. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.922601
- J. Rodriguez, S. Bernet, W. Bin, J. O. Pontt, and S. Kouro, “Multi-level voltage-source-converter topologies for industrial medium-voltage drives,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 6, pp. 2930-2945, Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.907044
- M. N. Slepchenkov, K. Smedley, and J. Wen, “Hexagram-converter-based STATCOM for voltage support in fixed-speed wind turbine generation systems,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 1120-1131, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2052536
- N. Celanovic and D. Boroyevich, “A comprehensive study of neutral-point-clamped voltage balancing problem in three-level neutral-point-clamped voltage source PWM inverters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 242-249, Mar. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.838096
- S. Ponnaluri, J. K. Steinke, P. Steimer, S. Reichert, and B. Buchmann, "Design comparison and control of medium voltage STATCOM with novel twin converter topology," in Proc. 2004 IEEE PESC Conference, pp. 2546-2552, Jun. 2004.
- J. A. Sayago, T. Bruckner, and S. Bernet, “How to select the system voltage of MV drive a comparison of semiconductor expenses,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 9, pp. 3381-3390, Sep. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.924032
- A. Nabae, I. Takahashi, and H. Akagi, “A new neutral-point-clamped PWM inverter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. IA-17, No. 5, pp. 518-523, Sep. 1981. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1981.4503992
- N. Celanovic and D. Boroyevich, “A comprehensive study of neutral-point voltage balancing problem in three-level neutral-point-clamped voltage source PWM inverters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 242-249, Mar. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.838096
- I. Pereira and A. Martins, "Multicarrier and space vector modulation for three-phase NPC converters: a comparative analysis," in 13th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, pp. 1-10, Sep. 2009.
- J. Holtz and N. Oikonomou, "Neutral point potential balancing algorithm at low modulation index for three-level inverter medium-voltage drives," in 40th IAS Annual Meeting Conference Record of the 2005 Industry Applications Conference, Vol. 2, pp. 1246-1252, Oct. 2005.
- J. Zaragoza, J. Pou, S. Ceballos, E. Robles, C. Jaen, and M. Corbalan, “Voltage-balance compensator for a carrier based modulation in the neutral point clamped converter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 2, pp. 305-314, Feb. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2009195
- J. Pou, D. Boroyevich, and R. Pindado, “New feedforward space-vector PWM method to obtain balanced AC output voltages in a three-level neutralpointclamped converter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 5, pp. 1026-1034, Oct. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.803207
- C. Wang and Y. Li, “Analysis and calculation of zero-sequence voltage considering neutral-point potential balancing in three-level NPC converters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 7, pp. 2262-2271, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2024093
- G. Abad, M. A. Rodriguez, and J. Poza, “Three-level NPC converter based predictive direct power control of the doubly fed induction machine at low constant switching frequency,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 12, pp. 4417-4429, Dec. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2007829
- J. D. Barros and J. F. Silva, “Optimal predictive control of three-phase NPC multilevel converter for power quality applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 10, pp. 3670-3681, Oct. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.928156
- A. Lewicki, Z. Krzeminski, and H. Adu-Rub, “Space-vector pulsewidth modulation for three-level NPC converter with the neutral point voltage control,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 11, pp. 5076-5086, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2011.2119453
- J. I. Leon, S. Vazquez, R. Portillo, L. G. Franquelo, J. M. Carrasco, P. W. Wheeler, and A. J. Watson, “Three dimensional feedforward space vector modulation applied to multilevel diode clamped converters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 1, pp. 101-109, Jan. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.928110
- S. Brovanov and M. Pacas, "Space vector PWM technique for three-Level neutral point clamped converters with taking into account DC-voltage unbalance," in 2008 IEEE Region 8 international Conference on Computational Technologies in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, pp. 200-205, Jul. 2008.
- A Neutral-Point Voltage Balance Controller for the Equivalent SVPWM Strategy of NPC Three-Level Inverters vol.16, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.6.2109
- A Hybrid PWM Strategy for Three-Level Inverter With Unbalanced DC Links vol.6, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2017.2756999
- Virtual-Space-Vector PWM for a Three-Level Neutral-Point-Clamped Inverter With Unbalanced DC-Links vol.33, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2017.2692272