- Volume 16 Issue 2
In this paper, the PSC PWM method is chosen as the optimal modulation method for a 20MW VSC HVDC, with consideration of the harmonic distortion of the output voltage, the switching frequency, and the control implementation difficulty. In addition, a new PSC PWM method is proposed in order to achieve an easy application and to solve the redundant control problems encountered in the previous PSC PWM method. To verify the proposed PSC PWM method, PSCAD/EMTDC simulations for an 11-level MMC RTDS HILS test and an 11-level MMC prototype converter test were performed. As can be seen from the results of these tests, the proposed PSC PWM method shows good results in an 11-level MMC with redundant sub-modules.
Modular Multilevel Converter (MMC);Modulation;Phase-Shifted Carrier (PSC);Pulse Width Modulation (PWM);HVDC;Redundant control
- A. Lesnicar and R. Marquardt, "An innovative modular multilevel converter topology suitable for a wide power range," IEEE Power Tech Conference Proceedings, Vol. 3, Jun. 2003.
- R. Marquardt and A. Lesnicar, "A new modular voltage source inverter topology," in EPE 2003, 2003.
- S. Allebrod, R. Hamerski, and R. Marquardt, "New transformerless, scalable modular multilevel converters for HVDC-transmission," in IEEE Power Electronics Specialists(PESC), pp. 174-179. Jun. 2008.
- J. Dorn, H. Huang, and D. Retzmann, "Novel voltage-sourced converters for HVDC and FACTS applications," in Proc. CIGRE Meeting 2007, pp. 314-321, 2007.
- L. G. Franquelo, J. Rodriguez, J. I. Leon, S. Kouro, R. Portillo, and M. A. M. Prats, “The age of multilevel converters arrives,” IEEE Ind. Electron. Mag., Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 28-39, Jun. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIE.2008.923519
- G. T. Son, H.-J. Lee, T. S. Nam, Y.-H. Chung, U. H. Lee, S. T. Baek, K. Hur, and J. W. Park, “Design and control of a modular multilevel HVDC converter with redundant power modules for noninterruptible energy transfer,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 1611-1619, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2012.2190530
- B. Li, R. Yang, D. Xu, G. Wang, W. Wang, and D. Xu, “Analysis of the phase-shifted carrier modulation for modular multilevel converter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 297-310, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2299802
- G. S. Konstantinou, M. Ciobotaru, and V. G. Agelidis, "Operation of a modular multilevel converter with selective harmonic elimination PWM," in IEEE 8th International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia(ICPE & ECCE), May/Jun. 2011.
- P. M. Meshram and V. B. Borghate, “A simplified nearest level control (NLC) voltage balancing method for modular multilevel converter(MMC),” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 450-462, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2317705
- G. Konstantinou, J. Pou, S. Ceballos, and V. G. Agelidis, “Active redundant submodule configuration in modular multilevel converters,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 2333-2341, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2013.2264950
- Fault-Tolerant Control of MMC With Hot Reserved Submodules Based on Carrier Phase Shift Modulation vol.32, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2016.2628762
- Research on Unbalance Fault-Tolerant Control Strategy of Modular Multilevel Photovoltaic Grid-Connected Inverter vol.11, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/en11061368