- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
PWM Control Techniques for Single-Phase Multilevel Inverter Based Controlled DC Cells
Sayed, Mahmoud A.;Ahmed, Mahrous;Elsheikh, Maha G.;Orabi, Mohamed
- Received : 2015.07.28
- Accepted : 2015.10.28
- Published : 2016.03.20
This paper presents a single-phase five-level inverter controlled by two novel pulse width modulation (PWM) switching techniques. The proposed PWM techniques are designed based on minimum switching power loss and minimum total harmonic distortion (THD). In a single-phase five-level inverter employing six switches, the first proposed PWM technique requires four switches to operate at switching frequency and two other switches to operate at line frequency. The second proposed PWM technique requires only two switches to operate at switching frequency and the rest of the switches to operate at line frequency. Compared with conventional PWM techniques for single-phase five-level inverters, the proposed PWM techniques offer high efficiency and low harmonic components in the output voltage. The validity of the proposed PWM switching techniques in controlling single-phase five-level inverters to regulate load voltage is verified experimentally using a 100 V, 500 W laboratory prototype controlled by dspace 1103.
Multilevel inverter;PWM;Single-phase inverter;Voltage control
- P. Chan, H.-H. Chung, and S. Hui, “A generalized theory of boundary control for a single-phase multilevel inverter using second-order switching surface,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 10, pp. 2298-2313, Oct. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2028630
- Y.-H. Liao and C.-M. Lai, “Newly-constructed simplified single-phase multistring multilevel inverter topology for distributed energy resources,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 9, pp. 2386-2392, Sep. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2157526
- J. Rodriguez, J.-S. Lai, and F. Z. Peng, “Multilevel inverters: A survey of topologies, controls, and applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 724-738, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801052
- J. Wen and K. Smedley, “Synthesis of multilevel convertersbased on single- and/or three-phase converter building blocks,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 1247-1256, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.921175
- P. Rodriguez, M. Bellar, R. Munoz-Aguilar, S. Busquets-Monge, and F. Blaabjerg, “Multilevel-clamped multilevel converters (mlc2),” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 1055-1060, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2172224
- I. Pharne and Y. Bhosale, "A review on multilevel inverter topology," in International Conference on Power, Energy and Control (ICPEC), pp. 700-703.
- J.-S. Lai and F. Z. Peng, "Multilevel converters - A new breed of power converters," in IEEE Thirtieth IAS Annual Meeting, IAS '95., Vol.3.pp. 2348- 2356.
- S. Sirisukprasert, J.-S. Lai, and T.-H. Liu, “Optimum harmonic reduction with a wide range of modulation indexes for multilevel converters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 875-881, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801226
- F. Zare and G. Ledwich, “A hysteresis current control for single-phase multilevel voltage source inverters: PLD implementation,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 731-738, Sep. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.802192
- X. Zhang and J. Spencer, “Study of multisampled multilevel inverters to improve control performance,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 11, pp. 4409-4416, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2187313
- J. Salmon, A. Knight, and J. Ewanchuk, “Single-phase multilevel PWM inverter topologies using coupled inductors,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 1259-1266, May 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2012110
- A. Nabae, I. Takahashi, and H. Akagi, “A new neutral-point- clamped PWM inverter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. IA-17, No. 5, pp. 518-523, Sep. 1981. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1981.4503992
- B. McGrath and D. Holmes, “Multicarrier PWM strategies for multilevel inverters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 858- 867, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801073
- H. Liu, L. Tolbert, S. Khomfoi, B. Ozpineci, and Z. Du, "Hybrid cascaded multilevel inverter with PWM control method," in IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, PESC 2008, pp. 162-166, 2008.
- S. Priyan and K. Ramani, "Implementation of closed loop system for flying capacitor multilevel inverter with stand-alone photovoltaic input," in International Conference on Power, Energy and Control (ICPEC), pp. 281-286, 2013.
- K. Corzine and X. Kou, “Capacitor voltage balancing in full binary combination schema flying capacitor multilevel inverters,” IEEE Power Electronics Letters, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 2-5, Mar. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/LPEL.2003.814644
- X. Kou, K. Corzine, and Y. Familiant, “A unique fault-tolerant design for flying capacitor multilevel inverter,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 979-987, Jul. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.830037
- E. Villanueva, P. Correa, J. Rodriguez, and M. Pacas, “Control of a single-phase cascaded H-bridge multilevel inverter for grid-connected photovoltaic systems,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 11, pp. 4399-4406, Nov. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2029579
- S. Mekhilef and M. Kadir, “Novel vector control method for three-stage hybrid cascaded multilevel inverter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 1339-1349, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2049716
- Y. Hinago and H. Koizumi, “A single-phase multilevel inverter using switched series/parallel dc voltage sources,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 8, pp. 2643-2650, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2030204
- V. Agelidis, D. Baker, W. Lawrance, and C. V. Nayar, "A multilevel PWM inverter topology for photovoltaic applications," in IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, ISIE '97., Vol. 2, pp. 589-594, 1997.
- K. Gupta and S. Jain, "Multilevel inverter topology based on series connected switched sources," IET Power Electron., Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 164-174, Jan. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0209
- S.-J. Park, F.-S. Kang, M. H. Lee, and C.-U. Kim, “A new single-phase five-level PWM inverter employing a deadbeat control scheme,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 831-843, May 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2003.810837
- G.-J. Su, “Multilevel DC-link inverter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 848-854, May/Jun. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.847306
- Z. Li, P. Wang, Y. Li, and F. Gao, “A novel single-phase five-level inverter with coupled inductors,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 2716-2725, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2176753
- E. Beser, B. Arifoglu, S. Camur, and E. Beser, "A novel topology for single-phase five-level inverter," in 5th WSEAS/IASME conference on electric power systems, pp. 314-319.
- E. Babaei, “A cascade multilevel converter topology with reduced number of switches,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 2657- 2664, Nov. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2005192
- M. Kangarlu and E. Babaei, “A generalized cascaded multilevel inverter using series connection of submultilevel inverters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, Vol. 2, pp. 625-636, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2203339
- M. Ahmed, M. Elsheikh, M. Sayed, and M. Orabi, "Single-phase five-level inverter with less number of power elements for grid connection," in Twenty-Seventh Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 1521-1527, 2012.
- A Neutral-Point Voltage Balance Controller for the Equivalent SVPWM Strategy of NPC Three-Level Inverters vol.16, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.6.2109
- A New Single-Phase Asymmetrical Cascaded Multilevel DC-Link Inverter vol.16, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.4.1504