- Volume 16 Issue 2
A single-phase asymmetrical cascaded multilevel inverter is introduced with the goal of increasing power quality with the reduction of power in insulated-gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) switches. In the present work, the proposed inverter topology is analyzed and generalized with respect to different proposed algorithms for choosing different voltage source values. To prove the advantages of the proposed inverter, a case study involving a 17-level inverter is conducted. The simulation and experimental results with reduced THD are also presented and compared with the MATLAB/SIMULINK simulation results. Finally, the proposed topology is compared with different multilevel inverter topologies available in the literature in terms of the number of IGBT switches required with respect to the number of levels generated in the output of inverter topologies.
Multilevel inverter;Power losses;Total harmonic distortion (THD)
- J. Rodriguez, J. Lai, and F. Peng, “Multilevel inverters: A survey of topologies, controls, and applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp.724-736, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801052
- Z. Pan, F. Peng, V. Stefanovic, and M. Leuthen, "A diode-clamped multilevel inverter with reduced number of clamping diodes," IEEE Proc. of APEC'2004, pp. 820-824, 2004.
- E. Babaei, S. Alilu, and S. Laali, “A new general topology for cascaded multilevel inverters with reduced number of components based on developed H-bridge,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 8, pp. 3932-3939, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2286561
- M. F. Kangarlu and E. Babaei, “A generalized cascaded multilevel inverter using series connection of sub-multilevel inverters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 625-636, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2203339
- A. A. Boora, A. Nami, F. Zare, A. Ghosh, and F. Blaabjerg, “Voltage sharing converter to supply single-phase asymmetrical four-level diode clamped inverter with high power factor loads,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 10, pp. 2507-2520, Oct. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2046651
- A. Nabae, I. Takahashi, and H. Akagi, “A new neutral-point-clamped PWM inverter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. IA-17, No. 5, pp. 518-523, Sep./Oct. 1981. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1981.4503992
- J. Rodriguez, J.-S. Lai, and F. Z. Peng, “Multilevel inverters: A survey of topologies, controls, and applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 724-738, Aug. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2002.801052
- E. Babaei and S. H. Hosseini, "Charge balance control methods for asymmetrical cascade multilevel converters," in Proc. ICEMS, Seoul, Korea, 2007, pp. 74-79.
- M. R. Banaei and E. Salary, “New multilevel inverter with reduction of switches and gate driver,” Energy Convers. Manag., Vol. 52, pp. 1129-1136, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2010.09.007
- L. M. Tolbert, F. Z. Peng, and T. G. Habetler, “Multilevel converters for large electric drives,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 36-44, Jan./Feb. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.740843
- J. H. Kim, S. K. Sul, and P. N. Enjeti, “A carrier-based PWM method with optimum switching sequence for a multilevel four-leg voltage source inverter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 1239-1248, Jul./Aug. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2008.926201
- A. Mokhberdoran and Ali Ajami, "Symmetric and asymmetric design and implementation of new cascaded multilevel inverter topology," in IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 12, pp. 6712-6724, Dec. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2014.2302873
- E. Babaei, S. Laali, and Z. Bayat, “A single-phase cascaded multilevel inverter based on a new basic unit with reduced number of power switches,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 62, No. 2, pp. 922-929, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2014.2336601
- E. Babaei and S. H. Hosseini, “New cascaded multilevel inverter topology with minimum number of switches,” J. Energy Convers. Manage., Vol. 50, No. 11, pp. 2761-2767, Nov. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2009.06.032
- M. Nilkar, M. Sabahi, and E. Babaei, "A new single-phase cascade multilevel inverter topology using four-level cells," 20th Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering, (ICEE2012), 2012.
- S. Bahravar, E. Babaei, and S. H. Hosseini, "New cascaded multilevel inverter topology with reduced variety of magnitudes of DC voltage sources," Power Electronics (IICPE), 2012 IEEE 5th India International Conference on, pp. 1-6, 2012.
- K. Ramani, M. A. J. Sathik, and S. Sivakumar, “A new symmetric multilevel inverter topology using single and double source sub-multilevel inverters,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 96-105, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.1.96
- A Modified Switched-Diode Topology for Cascaded Multilevel Inverters vol.16, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.5.1706