- Volume 16 Issue 2
A fuel cell power conditioning system for online diagnosis and load leveling under the condition of varying load is developed in this study. The proposed system comprises a unidirectional boost converter and a bidirectional buck-boost converter with a battery. The system operates in two different modes. In normal mode, the bidirectional converter is utilized for load leveling; in diagnostic mode, it is utilized to control load voltage while the boost converter generates perturbation current to implement the online diagnosis function through in-situ electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS). The proposed method can perform EIS for a fuel cell under varying-load conditions with no influence on the load. The validity and feasibility of the proposed system are verified by experiments, and the design procedure of the proposed system is detailed.
EIS;Electrochemical impedance spectroscopy;Fuel cell;Load leveling;Online diagnosis
- A. Khaligh and L. Zhihao, “Battery, ultracapacitor, fuel cell, and hybrid energy storage systems for electric, hybrid electric, fuel cell, and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles: State of the art,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol.59, No.6, pp. 2806-2814, Jul. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2010.2047877
- T. P. Kohler, D. Buecherl, and H. Herzog, "Investigation of control strategies for hybrid energy storage systems in hybrid electric vehicles," Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, pp.1687-1693, 2009.
- R. O'Hayre, S.-W. Cha, W. Colella, and F. B. Prinz, Fuel Cell Fundamentals, 2nd ed., 2008.
- J. M. Miller, T. Bohn, T. J. Dougherty, and U. Deshpande, "Why hybridization of energy storage is essential for future hybrid, plug-in and battery electric vehicles," Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition, 2009. ECCE 2009. IEEE , pp. 2614-2620, 2009.
- D. S. Hyun, H. J. Hwang, D.-U. Kim, S. Hwang, Y.-H. Yun and B. S. Oh, “Development of an optimal charging algorithm of a Ni-MH battery for stationary fuel cell/battery hybrid system application,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 38, No. 21, pp. 9008-9015, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.05.063
- C. Xie, J. M. Ogden, S. Quan, and Q. Chen, “Optimal power management for fuel cell–battery full hybrid powertrain on a test station,” Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 53, pp. 307-320, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2013.05.016
- X. Yuan, J. C. Sun, M. Blanco, H. Wang, J. Zhang, and D. P. Wilkinson, “AC impedance diagnosis of a 500W PEM fuel cell stack: Part I: Stack impedance,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 161, No. 2, pp. 920-928, Oct. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2006.05.003
- J. Kim, I. Lee, Y. Tak, and B. H. Cho, “State-of-health diagnosis based on hamming neural network using output voltage pattern recognition for a PEM fuel cell,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 37, No. 5, pp. 4280-4289, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2011.11.092
- T. Escobet, D. Feroldi, S. de Lira, V. Puig, J. Quevedo, J. Riera, and M. Serra, “Model-based fault diagnosis in PEM fuel cell systems,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 192, No. 1, pp. 216-2231, Jul. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2008.12.014
- Ju-hyung Lee, J.-H. Lee, W. Choi, K.-W. Park, H.-Y. Sun, and J.-H. Oh, “Development of a method to estimate the lifespan of proton exchange membrane fuel cell using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 195, No. 18, pp. 6001-6007, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2010.02.054
- X. Yuan, H. Wang, J. C. Sun, and J. Zhang, “AC impedance technique in PEM fuel cell diagnosis—A review,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 32, No. 17, pp. 4365-4380, Dec. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2007.05.036
- M. Ciureanu, and R. Roberge, “Electrochemical impedance study of PEM fuel cells. experimental diagnostics and modeling of air cathodes,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, Vol. 105, No. 17, pp. 3531-3539, Apr. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1021/jp003273p
- S. M. R. Niya and M. Hoorfar, “Study of proton exchange membrane fuel cells using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy technique – A review,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 240, pp. 281-293, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.04.011
- W. Choi, J. W. Howze, and P. Enjeti, “Development of an equivalent circuit model of a fuel cell to evaluate the effects of inverter ripple current,” Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 158, No. 2, pp. 1324-1332, Aug. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2005.10.038
- J. J. Cooley, P. Lindahl, C. L. Zimmerman, M. Cornachione, G. Jordan, S. R. Shaw, and S. B. Leeb, “Multiconverter system design for fuel cell buffering and diagnostics under UAV load profiles,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 6, pp. 3232-3244, Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2274600
- J.-H. Kim, M.-H. Jang, J.-S. Choe, D.-Y. Kim, Y.-S. Tak, and B.-H. Cho, “An experimental analysis of the ripple current applied variable frequency characteristic in a polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 82-89, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.1.082
- M. Becherif, D. Hissel, S. Gaagat, and M. Wack, “Electrical equivalent model of a proton exchange membrane fuel cell with experimental validation,” Renewable Energy, Vol. 36, No. 10, pp. 2582-2588, Oct. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2010.04.025
- X. Changjun and Q. shuhai, “Drawing impedance spectroscopy for Fuel Cell by EIS,” Procedia Environmental Sciences, pp. 589-596, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proenv.2011.12.092
- M. Pérez-Page and V. Pérez-Herranz, “Study of the electrochemical behaviour of a 300 W PEM fuel cell stack by Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 39, No. 8, pp. 4009-4015, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.05.121
- S. Zhang, X. Yuan, H. Wang, W. Mérida, H. Zhu, J. Shen, S. Wu, and J. Zhang, “A review of accelerated stress tests of MEA durability in PEM fuel cells,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 388-404, Jan. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2008.10.012
- S. Ye, M. Hall, H. Cao, and P. He, “Degradation resistant cathodes in polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells,” ECS Trans., Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 657-666, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.2356186
- S. P. Manoharan, S. Bzrlasekaran, C. V. Sur, and Y. Yana, “Computer program for nonlinear least square analysis of impedance and admittance data,” Bulletin of Electrochemistry, Vol. 2, No. 5, pp. 509-513, 1986.
- W. Choi and J. Lee, "Development of the low-cost impedance spectroscopy system for modeling the electrochemical power sources," 7th International Conference on Power Electronics ICPE '07., pp. 113-118, 2007.
- J. Masciotti, J. Lasker, and A. Hielscher, “Digital lock-in detection for discriminating multiple modulation frequencies with high accuracy and computational efficiency,” IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 57, No. 1, pp. 182-189, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2007.908604
- B. A. Boukamp, “A nonlinear least squares fit procedure for analysis of immittance data of electrochemical systems,” Solid State Ionics, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 31-44, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-2738(86)90031-7
- R. W. Erickson, and D. Maksimovic, Fundamental of Power Electronics, 2nd ed., Kluwer Academic, 2001.
- N. V. Sang and W. Choi, "A non-isolated boost charger for the Li-Ion battery suitable for fuel cell powered laptop computer," 7th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (IPEMC), Vol. 2, pp. 946-951, 2012.
- T.-T. Nguyen, V.-L. Tran, and W. Choi, "Development of the intelligent charger with battery state-of-health estimation using online impedance spectroscopy," in IEEE 23rd International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), pp. 454-458, 2014.
- W.-Y. Choi, M.-K. Yang, and Y. Suh, “High-efficiency supercapacitor charger using an improved two-switch forward converter,” Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 14, No.1, pp. 1-10. Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.1.1
- O. Hegazy, J. V. Mierlo, and Philippe Lataire, “Analysis, modeling, and implementation of a multidevice interleaved DC/DC converter for fuel cell hybrid electric vehicles,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 11, pp. 4445-4458, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2183148