- Volume 16 Issue 2
Three-phase grid-connected inverters are widely applied in the fields of new energy power generation, electric vehicles and so on. Islanding detection is necessary to ensure the stability and safety of such systems. In this paper, feature recognition technology is applied and a novel islanding detection method is proposed. It can identify the features of inverter systems. The theoretical values of these features are defined as codebooks. The difference between the actual value of a feature and the codebook is defined as the quantizing distortion. When islanding happens, the sum of the quantizing distortions exceeds the threshold value. Thus, islanding can be detected. The non-detection zone can be avoided by choosing reasonable features. To accelerate the speed of detection and to avoid miscalculation, an active islanding detection method based on feature recognition technology is given. Compared to the active frequency or phase drift methods, the proposed active method can reduce the distortion of grid-current when the inverter works normally. The principles of the islanding detection method based on the feature recognition technology and the improved active method are both analyzed in detail. An 18 kVA DSP-based three-phase inverter with the SVPWM control strategy has been established and tested. Simulation and experimental results verify the theoretical analysis.
Feature recognition technology;Islanding detection;Non-detection zone;Three-phase inverter system;Voltage harmonic
- D. Reigosa, F. Briz, C. Blanco, P. Garcia, and J. M. Guerrero, “Active islanding detection for multiple parallel-connected inverter-based distributed generators using high-frequency signal injection,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 1192-1199, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2263845
- D. Zhang, H. C. Niu, and M. Jiang, "Modeling of islanding detection by sensing jump change of harmonic voltage at PCC by the combination of a narrow band-pass filter and wavelet analysis," in IEEE ECCE Asia Downunder, pp. 1289-1294, Jun. 2013.
- W. Cai, B. Liu, S. Duan, and C. Zou, “An islanding detection method based on dual-frequency harmonic current injection under grid impedance unbalanced condition,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Informat., Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 1178-1187, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2012.2209669
- E. J. Estébanez, V. M. Moreno, A. Pigazo, M. Liserre, and A. Dell’Aquila, “Performance evaluation of active islanding-detection algorithms in distributed-generation photovoltaic systems: two inverters case,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 1185-1193, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2044132
- S. H. Lee and J.-W. Park, “Improvement on stability and islanding detection performances by advanced inverter control of DG,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 3954-3963, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2013.2262716
- R. M. Kamel, A. Chaouachi, and K. Nagasaka, “Three control strategies to improve the microgrid transient dynamic response during isolated mode: a comparative study,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 4, pp. 1314-1322, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2209609
- J.-H. Kim, J.-G. Kim, Y.-H. Ji, Y.-C. Jung, and C.-Y. Won, “An islanding detection method for a grid-connected system based on the goertzel algorithm,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 1049-1055, Apr. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2107751
- G. G. Pozzebon, A. F. Q. Goncalves, G. G. Pena, N.E.M. Mocambique, and R. Q. Machado, “Operation of a three-Phase power converter connected to a distribution system,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 5, pp. 1810-1818, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2191751
- H. Laaksonen, “Advanced islanding detection functionality for future electricity distribution networks,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 2056-2064, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2013.2271317
- H. Vahedi, G. B. Gharehpetian, and M. Karrari, “Application of duffing oscillators for passive islanding detection of inverter-based distributed generation units,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 1973-1983, Oct. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2012.2212251
- A. Cataliotti, V. Cosentino, N. Ngoctrung, and P. Russotto, "Hybrid passive and communications-based methods for islanding detection in medium and low voltage smart grids," in 4th International Power Engineering, Energy and Electrical Drives(POWERENG), pp. 1563-1567, May 2013.
- A. Yafaoui, B. Wu, and S. Kouro, “Improved active frequency drift anti-islanding detection method for grid connected photovoltaic systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 2367-2375, May 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2171997
- H. H. Zeineldin and M. M. A. Salama, “Impact of load frequency dependence on the NDZ and performance of the SFS islanding detection method,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 58, No. 1, pp. 139-146, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2033482
- M. Ferras and H. Bourlard, "MLP-based factor analysis for tandem speech recognition," in IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), pp. 6719-6723, May 2013.
- Q. Zhang, X. Sun, Y. Zhong, B. Ren, and M. Matsui, "Research on an novel active anti-islanding method based on positive feedback of even harmonic current disturbance," in IEEE Power Engineering and Automation Conference (PEAM), pp. 22-25, Sep. 2011.
- H. Novanda, P. Regulski, V. Stanojevic, and V. Terzija, “Assessment of frequency and harmonic distortions during wind farm rejection test,” IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 698-705, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2013.2242499
- J. Ming, R. Srinivasan, D. Crookes, and A. Jafari, “CLOSE—a data-driven approach to speech separation,” IEEE Trans. Audio, Speech, Language Process., Vol. 21, No. 7, pp. 1355-1368, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASL.2013.2250959
- S. Garimella and H. Hermansky, “Factor analysis of auto-associative neural networks with application in speaker verification,” IEEE Trans. Neural Netw. Learn. Syst., Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 522-528, Apr. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNNLS.2012.2236652
- Y.-T. Chuang, Y.-L. Hong, K.-C. Huang, and S.-W. Shih, “Autofocus of iris patterns using a triangle aperture,” IEEE Trans. Cybern., Vol. 43, No. 4, pp. 1304-1309, Aug. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCB.2012.2227722
- M. Hu, Y. Wang, Z. Zhang, D. Zhang, and J. J. Little, “Incremental learning for video-based gait recognition with LBP flow,” IEEE Trans. Cybern., Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 77-89, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCB.2012.2199310
- T. Kinnunen, E. Karpov, and P. Franti, “Real-time speaker identification and verification,” IEEE Trans. Audio, Speech, Language Process., Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 277-288, Jan. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSA.2005.853206
- W. Rao and M.-W. Mak, “Boosting the performance of i-vector based speaker verification via utterance partitioning,” IEEE Trans. Audio, Speech, Language Process., Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 1012-1022, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASL.2013.2243436
- B. V. Srinivasan, Y. Luo, D. G. Romero, D. N. Zotkin, and R. Duraiswami, “A symmetric kernel partial least squares framework for speaker recognition,” IEEE Trans. Audio, Speech, Language Process., Vol. 21, No. 7, pp. 1415-1423, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASL.2013.2253096
- L. E. Shafey, C. Mccool, R. Wallace, and S. Marcel, “A scalable formulation of probabilistic linear discriminant analysis: applied to face recognition,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell., Vol. 35, No. 7, pp. 1788-1794, Jul. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAMI.2013.38
- S. Yaman and J. Pelecanos, “Using polynomial kernel support vector machines for speaker verification,” IEEE Signal Process. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 9, pp. 901-904, Sep. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/LSP.2013.2273127
- R. Wallace and M. McLaren, “Total variability modelling for face verification,” IET Biometrics, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 188-199, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-bmt.2012.0024
- M. S. Paja, T. H. Falk, and D. O'Shaughnessy, "Whispered speaker verification and gender detection using weighted instantaneous frequencies," in IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), pp. 7209-7213, May 2013.
- S. A. O. Silva, R. Novochadlo, and R. A. Modesto, "Single-phase PLL structure using modified p-q theory for utility connected systems," in IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference(PESC), pp. 4706-4711, Jun. 2008.
- C. H. G. Santos, S. M. Silva, and B. J. C. Filho, "A fourier-based PLL for Single-Phase grid connected systems," in IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition(ECCE), pp. 2626-2632, Sep. 2010.
- S. Mishra, D. Ramasubramanian, and P. C. Sekhar, “A seamless control methodology for a grid connected and isolated PV-diesel microgrid,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 4393-4404, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2013.2261098
- K.-J. Lee, J.-P. Lee, D. Shin, D.-W. Yoo, and H.-J. Kim, “A novel grid synchronization PLL method based on adaptive low-pass notch filter for grid-connected PCS,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 61, No. 1, pp. 292-301, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2245622
- M. K. Ghartemani, S. A. Khajehoddin, P. K. Jain, and A. Bakhshai, “Problems of startup and phase jumps in PLL systems,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 1830-1838, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2169089
- J. He and Y. W. Li, “Hybrid voltage and current control approach for DG-grid interfacing converters with LCL filters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 60, No. 5, pp. 1797-1809, May 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2190374
- J. Li, J. Li, and S. Ding, "Research on a novel method for improving inverter output waveforms," in 5th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications (ICIEA), pp. 1194-1197, Jun. 2010.
- B. Singh, K. A. Haddad, and A. Chandra, “Harmonic elimination, reactive power compensation and load balancing in three-phase, four-wire electric distribution systems supplying non-linear loads,” Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 44, No. 2, pp. 93-100. Feb. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7796(97)01187-5
- J. Lianwei, D. Qinhua, and Z. Jiang, "Harmonic survey and solutions of Xining power grid in western China," in International Conference on Power System Technology, pp. 1161-1165, Dec. 2000.
- Improved Three-Phase AFD Islanding Detection Based on Digital Control and Non-Detection Zone Elimination vol.11, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/en11092421