- Volume 16 Issue 2
An excess carrier lifetime extraction method is derived for physics-based insulated gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) models with consideration of the latest development in IGBT modeling. On the basis of the 2D mixed-mode Sentaurus simulation, the clamp turn-off test is simulated to obtain the tail current. The proposed excess carrier lifetime extraction method is then performed using the simulated data. The comparison between the extracted results and actual lifetime directly obtained from the numerical device model precisely demonstrates the accuracy of the proposed method.
Excess carrier lifetime;IGBT;Parameter extraction;2D Sentaurus simulation
- A. T. Bryant, L. Lu, E. Santi, J. L. Hudgins, and P. R. Palmer, “Modeling of IGBT resistive and inductive turn-on behavior,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 904-914, May/Jun. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2008.921384
- Y. Tang, B. Wang, M. Chen, and B. Liu, “Simulation model and parameter extraction of field-stop(FS) IGBT,” Microelectronics Reliability, Vol. 52, No. 12, pp. 2920-2931, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2012.07.025
- L. Lu, A. Bryant, J. L. Hudgins, P. R. Palmer, and E. Santi, “Physics-based model of planar-gate IGBT including MOS side two-dimensional effects,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 46, No.6, pp. 2556-2567, Nov./Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2010.2071190
- L. Lu, Z. Chen, A. Bryant, J. L. Hudgins, P. R. Palmer, and E. Santi, “Modeling of MOS-side carrier injection in trench-gate IGBTs,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 875-883, Mar. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2009.2039770
- S. Ryu, M. Lee, M. A. Hajji, H. Ahn, D. Han, and M. E. Nokali, “A transient model for insulated gate bipolar transistors (IGBTs),” International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 95, No. 4, pp. 399-409, Apr. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207210801996162
- X. Yang, M. Otsuki, and P. R. Palmer, “Physics-based insulated-gate bipolar transistor model with input capacitance correction,” IET Power Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 417-427, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2014.0169
- A. R. Hefner and D. L. Blackburn, “An analytical model for the steady-state and transient characteristics of the power insulated-gate bipolar transistor,” Solid-State Electronics, Vol. 31, No. 10, pp. 1513-1532, Oct. 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/0038-1101(88)90025-1
- A. Hefner Jr, "Device models, circuit simulation, and computer-controlled measurements for the IGBT," in IEEE Workshop on Comput. in Power Electron., pp. 233-243, 1990.
- X. Kang, E. Santi, J. L. Hudgins, P. R. Palmer, and J. Donlon, "Parameter extraction for a physics-based circuit simulator IGBT model," in 18th Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, Vol. 2, pp. 946-952, Feb. 2003.
- Y. Tang, M. Chen, and B. Wang, "An improved method for IGBT base excess carrier lifetime extraction," in International Conference on Applied Superconductivity and Electromagnetic Devices, pp. 206-210, Sep. 2009.
- A. Claudio, M. Cotorogea, and M. A. Rodriguez, "Parameter extraction for physics-based IGBT models by electrical measurements," in IEEE 33rd Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference, Vol. 3, pp. 1295-1300, 2002.
- M. Cotorogea, A. Claudio, and M. Rodriguez, "Parameter extraction method for the pspice model of the PT-and NPT-IGBT's by electrical measurements," in IEEE International Power Electronics Congress Technical Proceedings(CIEP), pp. 101-106, Oct. 2002.
- M. A. Rodrguez, A. Claudio, M. Cotorogea, L. H. Gonzlez, and J. Aguayo, “Reconfigurable special test circuit of physics-based IGBT models parameter extraction,” Solid-State Electronics, Vol. 54, No. 11, pp. 1246-1256, Nov. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sse.2010.06.019
- R.Withanage, N. Shammas, S.Tennakoorr, C. Oates, and W. Crookes, "IGBT parameter extraction for the hefner IGBT model," in Proceedings of the 41st International Universities Power Engineering Conference, Vol. 2, pp. 613-617, Sep. 2006.
- J. Karlsson, "The concept of IGBT modeling and the evaluation of the PSPICE IGBT model," Master Thesis, Conducted at ALSTOM Power, Växjö, 2002.
- Y. Tang, M. Chen, and B. Wang, "New methods for extracting Field-Stop IGBT model parameters by electrical measurements," in IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics(ISIE), pp. 1546-1551, Jul. 2009.
- A. R. Hefner, “Modeling buffer layer IGBTs for circuit simulation,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 111-123, Mar. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.372596
- A. T. Bryant, X. Kang, E. Santi, P. R. Palmer, and J. L. Hudgins, “Two-step parameter extraction procedure with formal optimization for physics-based circuit simulator IGBT and pin diode models,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 295-309, Mar. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2005.869742
- R.F. M. Chibante, A. L. S. Arajo, and A. S. Carvalho, "A simple and efficient parameter extraction procedure for physics based IGBT models," in 11th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference, 2004.
- A. R. Hefner and D. L. Blackburn, “A performance trade-off for the insulated gate bipolar transistor: buffer layer versus base lifetime reduction,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. PE-2, No. 3, pp. 194-207, Jul. 1987. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.1987.4766360
- 1. Modeling Inductive Switching Characteristics of High-Speed Buffer Layer IGBT vol.32, pp.4, 2017, doi:10.6113/JPE.2016.16.2.778