- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development of a Novel 30 kV Solid-state Switch for Damped Oscillating Voltage Testing System
Hou, Zhe;Li, Hongjie;Li, Jing;Ji, Shengchang;Huang, Chenxi
- Received : 2015.05.08
- Accepted : 2015.10.03
- Published : 2016.03.20
This paper describes the design and development of a novel semiconductor-based solid-state switch for damped oscillating voltage test system. The proposed switch is configured as two identical series-connected switch stacks, each of which comprising 10 series-connected IGBT function units. Each unit consists of one IGBT, a gate driver, and an auxiliary voltage sharing circuit. A single switch stack can block 20 kV-rated high voltage, and two stacks in series are proven applicable to 30 kV-rated high voltage. The turn-on speed of the switch is approximately 250 ns. A flyback topology-based power supply system with a front-end power factor correction is built for the drive circuit by loosely inductively coupling each unit with a ferrite core to the primary side of a power generator to obtain the advantages of galvanic isolation and compact size. After the simulation, measurement, and estimation of the parasitic effect on the gate driver, a prototype is assembled and tested under different operating regimes. Experimental results are presented to demonstrate the performance of the developed prototype.
Damped oscillating voltage testing system;Flyback converter;High voltage switch;Insulated gate bipolar transistor (IGBT);Series connection
- T. Takahashi and T. Okamoto, "Insulation diagnosis for XLPE cables using damping oscillating high voltage," in Annual Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena(CEIDP), pp. 471-474, Oct. 2008.
- E. Gulski, P. Cichecki, F. Wester, J. J. Smit, R. Bodega, and T. Hermans, “On-site testing and PD diagnosis of high voltage power cables,” IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul., Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 1691-1700, Dec. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDEI.2008.4712673
- E. Gulski, F. J. Wester, J. J. Smit, P. N. Seitz, and M. Turner, “Advanced partial discharge diagnostic of MV power cable system using oscillating wave test system,” IEEE Elect. Insul. Mag., Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 17-25, Mar./Apr. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/57.833657
- P. H. F. Morshuis, R. Bodega, M. Lazzaroni, and F. J. Wester, "Partial discharge detection using oscillating voltage at different frequencies," in Proceedings of the Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference (IMTC), Vol. 1, pp. 431-435, 2002.
- S. Zabihi, F. Zare, G. Ledwich, A. Ghosh, and Z. Zabihi, "A novel CDVM based high-voltage converter using low power solid-state switches and a tuned resonant circuit designed for pulsed power applications," in 3rd Power Electronics and Drive Systems Technology(PEDSTC), pp. 454-460, Feb. 2012.
- J. Y. Koo, J. T. Kim, J. S. Lee, S. J. Kim, I. K. Song, and J. Y. Kim, "A study on the oscillating wave voltage test as an after-laying test for distribution power cables," IEEE Annual Report Conference on Electrical Insulation and Dielectric Phenomena, Vol. 1, pp. 334-341, Oct. 1997.
- S. C. Glidden and H. D. Sanders, "Solid state spark gap replacement switches," in Conference Record of the 2006 27th International Power Modulator Symposium, pp. 244-247, May 2006.
- A. Welleman, R. Leutwyler, and J. Waldmeyer, "High current, high voltage solid state discharge switches for electromagnetic launch applications," 14th Symposium on Electromagnetic Launch Technology, pp. 1-5, Jun. 2008.
- A. Welleman and S. Gekenidis, "12.6 kA / 20 kV / 300 Hz reverse conducting solid state closing switch for De-NOx / De-SOx modulator," in IEEE Pulsed Power Conference (PPC), pp. 675-678, Jun./Jul. 2009.
- I. H. Song, S. H. Hahn, Y. K. Kim, H. S. Shin, C. H. Choi, and C. Moo-hyun, "Development of the 120 kV/70 A high voltage switching system with MOSFETs operated by simple gate control unit," in IEEE 33rd Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference(PESC), Vol. 3, pp. 1181-1185, 2002.
- J. H. Kim, M. H. Ryu, S. Shenderey, J. S. Kim, G. H. Rim, and G. Y. Jeong, "Pulse power supply using an IGBT switch stack for plasma source ion implantation," in IEEE 35th Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference (PESC), Vol. 1, pp. 806-809, Jun. 2004.
- T. Lu, Z. Zhao, S. Ji, and H. Yu, "Parameter design of voltage balancing circuit for series connected HV-IGBTs," in 7th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference(IPEMC), Vol. 2, pp. 1502-1507, Jun. 2012.
- T. Ohkami, M. Souda, T. Saito, C. Yamazaki, S. Asano, and Y. Suzuki, "Development of a 40kV Series-connected IGBT Switch," in Power Conversion Conference(PCC), pp. 1175-1180, Apr. 2007.
- H. Kon, M. Tobita, H. Suzuki, J. Kanno, N. Nishizawa, and T. Murao, "Development of a multiple series-connected IGBT converter for large-capacity STATCOM," in International Power Electronics Conference(IPEC), pp. 2024-2028, Jun. 2010.
- D. Dujic, C. Zhao, A. Mester, J. K. Steinke, M. Weiss, and S. Lewdeni-Schmid, “Power electronic traction transformer-low voltage prototype,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 28, No. 12, pp. 5522-5534, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2248756
- A. N. Githiari and P. R. Palmer, “Analysis of IGBT modules connected in series,” IEE Proceedings Circuits, Devices and Systems, Vol. 145, No. 5, pp. 354-360, Oct. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-cds:19982123
- Y. Zhang, W. Fei, and Z. Lu, "A novel isolation power supply for gating multiple devices in FACTS equipment," in 7th International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems(PEDS), pp. 117-119, Nov. 2007.
- W. Fei, Z. Lu, L. Xia, and G. Jin, "A novel high-voltage isolation power supply for multiple devices driving," in 4th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference(IPEMC), Vol. 1, pp. 111-114, Aug. 2004.
- T. V. Nguyen, P. Jeannin, E. Vagnon, D. Frey, and J. C. Crebier, "Series connection of IGBT," in 25th Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 2238-2244, Feb. 2010.
- T. V. Nguyen, P. O. Jeannin, E. Vagnon, D. Frey, and J. C. Crebier, "Series connection of IGBT," in 25th Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics and Exposition(APEC), pp. 2238-2244, Feb. 2010.
- V. K. Khanna, “Insulated gate bipolar transistor IGBT theory and design,” IGBT Fundamentals and Status Review, Wiley-Interscience Publication, pp. 35-100, 2003.
- Y. Abe, K. Maruyama, Y. Matsumoto, K. Sasagawa, and K. Matsuse, "Performance of IGBTs series connection technologies for auxiliary power supply system," in Power Conversion Conference(PCC), pp. 1382-1387, Apr. 2007.
- G. Busatto, C. Abbate, F. Iannuzzo, B. Abbate, L. Fratelli, and B. Cascone, “High voltage, high performance switch using series connected IGBTs,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 25, No. 9, pp. 2450-2459, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2049272
- R. Withanage, N. Shammas, and S. Tennakoon, "Series connection of insulated gate bipolar transistors (IGBTs)," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 2204-2212, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2167000
- R. Withanage, W. Crookes, and N. Shammas, "Novel voltage balancing technique for series connection of IGBTs," in European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, pp. 1-10, Sep. 2007.
- R. Withanage and N. Shammas, “Series connection of insulated gate bipolar transistors (IGBTs),” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 27, No. 4, pp. 2204-2212, Apr. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2167000
- R. E. Locher, “New 1600V BIMOSFET transistors open up new applications,” IXYS Corporation, p. 10.
- R. E. Locher and A. D. Pathak, "Use of BiMOSFETs in modern radar transmitters," in 4th IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems, Vol. 2, pp. 711-717, Oct. 2001.
- A. Elasser, V. Parthasarathy, and D. A. Torrey, “A study of the internal device dynamics of punch-through and nonpunch-through IGBTs under zero-current switching,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 21-35, Jan. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.554166
- R. E. Locher and O. Zschieschang, “IXBH40N160 BiMOSFETTM developed for high voltage, high frequency applications,” ixyspower. com, 1995.
- A. Kerkhoff, R. Curry, A. Donnelli, P. McGuyer, and J. Streeter, "An application of piezoelectric wave converters for high voltage isolation and power transmission," in Conference Record of the 1998 23rd International Power Modulator Symposium, pp. 225-228, Jun. 1998.