- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Control Method for Power-Assist Devices using a BLDC Motor for Manual Wheelchairs
Kim, Dong-Youn;Kim, Yong-Hyu;Kim, Kwang-Sik;Kim, Jang-Mok
- Received : 2015.04.06
- Accepted : 2015.10.05
- Published : 2016.03.20
This paper proposes a new operation and control strategy for Power-Assisted Wheelchairs (PAW) using one brushless DC (BLDC) motor. The conventional electrical wheelchairs are too heavy and large for one person to move because they have two electric motor wheels. On the other hand, the proposed PAW system has a small volume and is easy to move due to the presence of a single wheel motor. Unlike the conventional electric wheelchairs, this structure for a PAW does not have a control joystick to reduce its weight and volume. To control the wheelchair without a joystick, a special control system and algorithm are needed for proper operation of the wheelchair. In the proposed PAW system uses only one sensor to detect the acceleration and direction of PAW's movement. By using this sensor, speed control can be achieved. With a speed control system, there are three kinds of operations that can be done on the speed of a PAW: the increment of PAW speed by summing external force, the decrement of PAW speed by subtracting external force, and emergency breaking by evaluating the time duration of external force. The validity of the proposed algorithm is verified through experimental results.
Assist equipment;Brushless DC motor;Power-assisted wheelchair sensor;Speed control;Wheelchair control
- H. Seki, T. Sugimoto, and S. Tadakuma, "Novel straight road driving control of power assisted wheelchair based on disturbance estimation and minimum jerk control," in Industry Applications Conference, Vol. 3, pp. 1711-1717, Oct. 2005.
- P.-W. Hsueh, M.-C. Tsai, H.-T. Pan, and A. Grandjean "Integrated synchronized motion control for a force sensorless power-assisted wheelchair," in Preprints of the 18th IFAC World Congress, Vol. 18, pp. 5956-5961, Aug./Sep. 2011.
- Y. Munakata, A. Tanaka, and M. Wada, "An active-caster drive system for motorizing a manual wheelchair," in IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics and Automation(ICMA), pp. 1161-1166, Aug. 2013.
- D. K. Jones, R. A. Cooper, S. Albright, and M. Digiovine, "Power wheelchair driving performance using force and position sensing joysticks," in Proc. IEEE Bioengineering Conference, pp. 130-132, Apr. 1998.
- Y. Oonishi, S. Oh, and Y. Hori, “A new control method for power-assisted wheelchair based on the surface myoelectric signal,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 9, pp. 3191-3196, Sep. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2051931
- H. Seki and N. Tanohata, “Fuzzy control for electric power-assisted wheelchair driving on disturbance roads,” IEEE Trans. Syst., Man, Cybern., Part C: Applications and Reviews, Vol. 42, No. 6, pp. 1624-1632, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMCC.2012.2212008
- C. Ou, C. Chen, and T. Chen, "Modeling and Design a Power Assisted Wheelchair used Torque Observer," in International Symposium on Computer Communication Control and Automation, Vol. 2, pp. 63-66, May 2010.
- Y. Munnakata, A. Tanaka, and M. Wada, "A five-wheel wheelchair with an active-caster drive system," in IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR), pp. 1-6, Jun. 2013.
- S.-W. Hwang, C.-H. Lee, and Y.-B. Bang, "Power-assisted wheelchair with gravity compensation," in 12th International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems(ICCAS), pp. 1874-1877, Oct. 2012.
- I. Uriostegui, F. Bernal, J. A. Tover, E. Vela, M. Bourdon, and A. I. Perez, "Biomechanical analysis of the propulsion of the manual wheelchair in patients with spinal cord injury," in Pan American Health Care Exchanges (PAHCE), pp. 1-5, Apr. 2014.
- J. Miyata, Y. Kaida, and T. Murakami, “v–˙φ-coordinate-based power-assist control of electric wheelchair for a caregiver,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 6, pp. 2517-2524, Jun. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.918630
- TMS320F28335 data manual, Texas Instrument, 2007.
- LIS344ALH Datasheet, STMicroelectronics, 2008.