- Volume 32 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Characterization of Stormwater Runoff according to Sewer System in Paldang Watershed
하수도 시스템 유무에 따른 강우유출특성 분석 - 팔당호 유역을 대상으로
Kang, Dong-Han;Sajjad, Raja Umer;Kim, Keuktae;Lee, Chang-Hee
강동한;사자드 라자 우말;김극태;이창희
- Received : 2015.11.03
- Accepted : 2016.01.20
- Published : 2016.03.31
The characterization of stormwater runoff from mix land-use catchments with an inadequate sewer network is a challenge. This study focused on characterizing stormwater runoff from the Paldang watershed area based on land-use type and sewer system coverage. A total of 76 sites were monitored during wet weather from seven different counties within Paldang watershed. Public sewer system (PSS) was installed at 48 sites, while 28 sites had no or individual sewer system (ISS) coverage. The results indicated that the sites included in the ISS group with higher forest and paddy land-use percentage exhibit higher values of average event mean concentrations (EMCs) and first flush intensity for suspended solids (SS), total nitrogen (TN), and total phosphorous (TP). In addition, upgrading runoff interception system can capture 59 % of the TP load in the first 43% of runoff within these sites. Similarly, rainfall depth and storm duration showed a positive correlation (R > 0.6) with nutrient loads within ISS group sites, as compared to PSS group. Therefore, these sites are likely to contribute higher TP and TN loads during heavier storm events and should be selected as priority management areas to combat the problem of eutrophication in Paldang reservoir.
Eutrophication;Land-use;Sewer system;Stormwater runoff
- Bertrand-Krajewski, J. L., Chebbo, G., and Saget, A. (1998). Distribution of pollutant Mass vs Volume in Stormwater Discharges and the First Flush Phenomenon, Water Research, 32(8), pp. 2341-2356. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(97)00420-X
- Bolstad, P. V. and Swank, W. T. (1997). Cumulative Impacts of Land-use on Water Quality in a Southern Appalachian Watershed, Journal of the American Water Resources Association, 33(3), pp. 519-534. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.1997.tb03529.x
- Center for streamside studies. (2001). Land-use Effects on Water Quality in Puget Lowland Streams, Streamside runoff; 13(2), University of Washington.
- Elliott, S. and Sorrell, B. (2002). Lake Managers’ Handbook Land-Water Interaction. Ministry for the Environment, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Gyeonggi-do Provincial Government. (2010). Gyeonggi-do Air Map. [Korean Literature]
- Kim, D. S., Kim, B., Hwang, G., and Park, J. H. (1995). Trend of Eutrophication in Lake Paldang (1988-1994), Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 11(4), pp. 295-302.
- Kim, D. W., Min, J. H., Yoo, M., Kang, M., and Kim, K. (2014). Long Term Effects of Hydro Meteorological and Water Quality Conditions on Algal Dynamics in the Paldang Dam Watershed, Korea, Water Science and Technology, 14, pp. 601-608.
- Kim, L. H., Ko, S. O., Jeong, S., and Yoon, J. (2007). Characteristics of Washed-off Pollutants and Dynamic EMCs in Parking Lots and Bridges During a Storm, Science of the Total Environment, 376(1-3), pp. 178-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2006.12.053
- Leecaster, M., Schiff, K., and Tiefenthaler, L. (2001). Assessment of Efficient Sampling Design for Urban Stormwater Monitoring, Water Research, 36, pp. 1556-1564. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(01)00353-0
- Lee, J. H. and Bang, K. W. (2000). Characterization of Urban Storm Water Runoff, Water Research, 34(6), pp. 1773-1780. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(99)00325-5
- Liu, A., Egodawatta, P., Guan, Y. T., and Goonetilleke, A. (2013). Influence of Rainfall and Catchment Characteristics on Urban Stormwater Quality, Science of the Total Environment, 444, pp. 255-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2012.11.053
- Menacher, F. and Augustin, A. (1992). Detention in Combined Sewers, Institute for Sanitary Engineering, University of Karlsruhe, Germany, Report no 64, pp. 191-222.
- Moss, B. (1998). Ecology of fresh waters: Man and Medium, Past to the Future, 3rd edition, Blackwell science, Oxford, UK.
- Park, H. K., Byeon, M. S., Shin, Y. N., and Jung, D. 1. (2009). Sources and Spatial and Temporal Characteristics of Organic Carbon in Two Large Reservoirs with Contrasting Hydrological Characteristics, Water Resources Research, 45, W11418. https://doi.org/10.1029/2009WR008043
- Shin, J. K., Cho, J. L., Hwang, S. J., and Cho, K. J. (2000). Eutrophication and Water Pollution Characteristics of the Kyoungan Stream to Paldang Reservoir, Korean Journal of Limnology, 33(4), pp. 387-394.
- Youn, S. J., Park, H. K., and Shin, K. (2010). Dynamics of Phytoplankton Communities of Major Dam Reservoirs in Han River System, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 26(2), pp. 317-325.
- Ying, C., Youpeng, X., and Yixing, Y. (2009). Impacts of Land Use Change Scenarios on Storm-runoff Generation in Xitiaoxi Basin, China, Quaternary International, 208(1-2), pp. 121-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.quaint.2008.12.014
Grant : 유역 내 비점오염원 조사/평가기술 선진화
Supported by : 명지대학교 산학협력단