- Volume 32 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development and Application of a Model for Restoring a Vegetation Belt to Buffer Pollutant Discharge
수질 오염물질 배출저감을 위한 완충식생 복원 모델 개발
An, Ji Hong;Lim, Chi Hong;Lim, Yun Kyung;Nam, Kyeong Bae;Pi, Jung Hun;Moon, Jeong Sook;Bang, Je Yong;Lee, Chang Seok
- Received : 2015.09.24
- Accepted : 2016.03.14
- Published : 2016.03.31
In order to improve water quality in the Paldang Lake, a riparian vegetation belt, treatment wetland, and artificial floating island were designed for introduction in the upland field, the estuary of tributaries, and the section of water facing mountainous land, respectively. We synthesized vegetation information collected from a reference river and found that herbaceous, shrubby, and tree vegetation zones tended to be dominated by Phragmites japonica, Phalaris arundinacea, etc.; Salix gracilistyla, S. integra, etc.; and S. koreensis, S. subfragilis, and Morus alba, respectively. In our plan, the herbaceous vegetation zone, which is established on floodplains with a high frequency of disturbance, will be left in its natural state. A shrubby vegetation zone will be created by imitating the species composition of the reference river in the ecotone between floodplain and embankment. A tree vegetation zone will be created by imitating species composition on the embankment slope. In the treatment wetland, we plan to create emerged and softwood plant zones by imitating the species composition of the Zizania latifolia community, the Typha orientalis community, the P. communis community, the S. integra community, and the S. koreensis community. The floating island will be created by restoring Z. latifolia and T. orientalis for water purification purposes.
Artificial floating island;Reference river;Riparian vegetation belt;Treatment wetland
- An, J. H., Lim, C. H., Lim, Y. K., Nam, K. B., and Lee, C. S. (2014). A Review of Restoration Project Evaluation and Post Management for Ecological Restoration of the River, Journal of Restoration Ecology, 4(1), pp. 15-34. [Korean Literature]
- Aronson, J., Florest, C., Floc'h, E. Le., Ovalle, C., and Pontanier, R. (1993). Restoration and Rehabilitation of Degraded Ecosystems in Arid and Semi-Arid Lands. I. A View from the South, Restoration Ecology, 1, pp. 8-17. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-100X.1993.tb00004.x
- Berger, J. J. (1993). Ecological Restoration and Nonindigenous Plant Species: A Review, Restoration Ecology, 1(2), pp. 74-82. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-100X.1993.tb00012.x
- Braun-Blanquet, J. (1964). Pflanzensoziologie; Grundze der Vegetaionskunde, Springer-Verlag, New York, pp. 865.
- Choi, J. Y. and Jung, Y. J. (2000). The Study of Createment for Riparian Vegetation and Management for Improvement of Water Quality, Korea Environment Institute, pp. 85. [Korean Literature]
- Doll, B. A., Grabow, G. L., Hall, K. R., Halley, J., Harman, W. A., Jennings, G. D., and Wise, D. E. (2003). Stream Restoration: A Natural Channel Design Handbook, NC State University, pp. 128.
- Ellenberg, H. (1986). Vegetation Mitteleuropas mit den Alpen in ökologischer Sicht, Ulmer, Stuttgart, Auflage.
- Kim, B. R. and Sung, K. J. (2010). Design of Riparian Areas for the Carbon Sequestration and Diffused Pollutatnts Contrl, Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, 32(11), pp. 1030-1037. [Korean Literature]
- Kim, J. H., Moon, H. T., Min, B. M., Seo, G, H., Oh, K. H., You, T. C., Lee, G. S., Lee, E. J., Lee, J. S., Lee, C. S., Lee, H. S., Lim, B. S., Cho, G. H., and Cho, D. S. (2006). Ecology and Environment, In: Miller, G. T, Jr (Ed.), Essential of Ecology 3nd Edition, Black well Science, New York, pp. 544.
- Kwon, O. B. (2007). Study on the Improvement of Aquatic Ecosystems by Vegetated Artificial Floating Island, Ph. D. Dissertation, Kangwon University, Seoul, Korea, pp. 181. [Korean Literature]
- Lee, C. S., Bae, G. S., Cho, H. J., Bae, Y. J., Choei, J. G., Byeon, H. G., Shim, J. H., and Lee, U. S. (2007). Ecology of Cheonggye Stream, Cheong Mok Publishing Co, Seoul, 185p. [Korean Literature]
- Lee, C. S., Hong, S. G., Cho, H. J., and Oh, J. M. (1999). The Technology of Environment Restoration, Dong Hwa Publishing Co, Seoul, pp. 283. [Korean Literature]
- Lee, C. S., Jeong, Y. M., and Kang, H. S. (2011). Concept, Direction, and Task of Ecological Restoration, Journal of Restoration Ecology, 2(1), pp. 59-71. [Korean Literature]
- Lee, C. S., Lee, G. S., Lee, H. B., You, Y. H., Kim, G. D., Park, J. H., Jung, S. H., Kim, J. G., Cho, Y. C., Moon, H. T., Cho, G. J., and You, T. C. (2013). Restoration Ecology: The New Frontier, In: Jelte, van A., James, A (Ed.), Restoration Ecology: The New Frontier, Willey, New York, pp. 340.
- Lee, C. S. and You, Y. H. (2001). Development and Outlook of Restoraion Ecology as an Ecology for the Future, The Korean Journal of Ecology, 24(3), pp. 191-202. [Korean Literature]
- Mueller-Dombois, D. and Ellenberg, H. (1974). Aims and Methods of Vegetation Ecology, Wiley, New York, USA, pp. 547.
- Lee, S. M. (2006). Secondary Succession and Seed Bank Structure of Abandoned Rice Paddy Field, and Its Ecological Restoration, Master's Thesis, Seoul Women's University, Seoul, Korea, pp. 58.
- Lee, Y. G. and Kim, J. W. (2006). Riparian Vegetation of South Korea, Keimyung University Press, Daegu, pp. 137-142. [Korean Literature]
- Mikołaj, P., Paweł, M., Ignacy, K., Marek, G., Katarzyna, I., and Wojciech, F. (2015). Spatial Quantification of Non-Point Source Pollution in a Meso-Scale Catchment for an Assessment of Buffer Zones Efficiency, Water, 7, pp. 1889-1920. https://doi.org/10.3390/w7051889
- North American Wetlands for Water Quality Treatment Database (NADB). (1994). Electronic Database Created by R. Knight, R. Ruble, R. Kadlec, and S. Reed for the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, Copies Available from Don Brown, U. S. EPA, 569-7630.
- Naiman, R. J. and Decamps, H. (1997). The Ecology of Interfaces: Riparian Zones, Annual Review of Ecology and systematics, 28, pp. 621-658. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ecolsys.28.1.621
- National Research Council. (1992). Restoration of Aquatic Ecosystems: Science, Technology, and Public Policy, National Academy Press, Washington D. C.
- Oswald, W. J. (1988). Advances in Anaerobic Pond System Designs. In: Gloyna, E. F. and Eckenfelder, W. W. (Ed.), Advances in Water Quality Improvement, University of Texas Press, Austin, pp. 186-194.
- Society for Ecological Restoration International Science & policy Working Group (SERI). (2004). The SER International Primer on Ecological Restoration, Society for Ecological Restoration International Science & policy Working Group.
- Shin, J. S. (2004). Ecological Studies on the Riparian Vegetation of Bukhan River, Ph. D. Dissertation, Konkuk University, Seoul, Korea, pp. 4-7. [Korean Literature]
- Yoon, C. G., Jung, K. W., Jeon, J. H., and Ham, J. H. (2003). Guidelines and Optimum Treatment for Agriculture Reuse of Reclaimed Water, Journal of Limnology, 36(3), pp. 356-368. [Korean Literature]
- Society for Ecological Restoration (SER). (2004). Society for Ecological Restoration, http://www.ser.org/.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA). (2005). Riparian Buffer Width, Vegetation Cover, and Nitrogen Removal Effectiveness; A Review of Currrent Science and Regulations, United States Environmental Protection Agency, Ohio, pp. 40.
- Woo, H. S. and Oh, J. M. (2005). The Creation of Riparian Habitat and the Control of Nonpoint Pollution Establishing Riparian Buffer Zone, Magazine of Korea Water Resources Association, 38(3), pp. 29-36. [Korean Literature]