- Volume 32 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Adsorption characteristics of As(III) and Cr(VI) from aqueous solution by Sediment Amendment Composite
저질개선제에 의한 수용액상의 As(III)와 Cr(VI) 흡착 특성
- Received : 2016.01.27
- Accepted : 2016.03.21
- Published : 2016.03.31
The adsorption characteristics of mixed heavy metals (Cr(III), As(VI)) in aqueous solution were investigated using a sediment amendment composite. Sediment amendment composite was composed of clean sediment (40%), zeolite (20%), recycled aggregate (10%), steel slag (10%), oyster shell (10%), and cement (10%). The experimental results showed that the adsorption equilibrium was attained after 180 mins. Heavy metal adsorption was characterized using Freundlich and Langmuir equations. The equilibrium adsorption data for the sediment amendment composite better fitted with the Langmuir model than the Freundlich model. The maximum adsorption capacity of Cr(VI) (36.07 mg/g) was higher than As(III) (25.54 mg/g); and the adsorption efficiency of the Cr(VI) and As(III) ions solution decreased with decreasing pH from 2 to 10. The collective results suggested that the sediment amendment composite is a promising material for a reactive cap that controls the release of Cr(VI) and As(III) from contaminated sediments.
Adsorption;Capping material;Heavy metals;Industrial by-products;Natural mineral
- Acosta, J. A., Faz, A., Martínez-Martínez, S., Zornoza, R., Carmona, D. M., and Kabas, S. (2011). Multivariate Statistical and GIS-based Approach to Evaluate Heavy Metals behavior in Mine Sites for Future Reclamation, Journal of Geochemical Exploration, 109, pp. 8-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gexplo.2011.01.004
- Allahverdi, A. and Kain, E. N. (2009). Construction Wastes as Raw Materials for Geopolymer Binders, International Journal of Civil Engineering, 7, pp. 154-160.
- Altundoğan, H. S., Altundoğan, S., Tumen, F., and Bildik, M. (2000). Arsenic Removal from Aqueous Solutions by Adsorption on Red Mud, Waste Management, 20, pp. 761-767. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0956-053X(00)00031-3
- Bertocchi, A. F., Ghiani, M., Peretti, R. and Zucca, A. (2006). Red Mud and Fly Ash for Remediation of Mine Sites Contaminated with As, Cd, Cu, Pb and Zn, Journal of Hazardous Materials, B134, pp. 112-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2005.10.043
- Chon, C. M., Moon, S. H., Ahn, J. S., Kim, Y. S., and Won, J. H. (2007). Fate and Transport of Cr(VI) Contaminated Groundwater from the Industrial Area in Daejeon, Economic and Environmental Geology, 40, pp. 403-418.
- Ho, Y. S. and McKay, G. (1999a). Thesorption of Lead(II) Ions on Peat, Water Research, 33, pp. 578-584. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(98)00207-3
- Clayden, N. J., Esposito, S., Aronne, A., and Pernice, P. (1991). Solid state 27Al NMR and FTIR Study of Lanthanum Aluminosilicate Glasses, Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 11, pp. 258-268.
- Goyer, R. A. and Mehlman, M. A. (1977). Toxicology of trace elements, John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York.
- Gupta, V. K., Gupta, M., and Sharma, S. (2001). Process Development for the Removal of Lead and Chromium from Aqueous Solutions using Red Mud-an Aluminium Industry Waste, Water Research, 35, pp. 1125-1134. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(00)00389-4
- Ho, Y. S. and McKay, G. (1999b). Pseudo-second Order Model for Sorption Processes, Process Biochemistry, 34, pp. 451-465. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-9592(98)00112-5
- Hsu, T. C. (2009). Experimental Assessment of Adsorption of Cu2+ and Ni2+ from Aqueous Solution by Oyster Shell Powder, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 171, pp. 995-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.06.105
- Hyun, S. M., Lee, C. H., Lee, T. H., and Choi, J. W. (2007). Anthropogenic Contributions to Heavy Metal Distributions in the Surface Sediments of Masan Bay, Korea, Marine Pollution Bulletin, 54, pp. 1031-1071. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2007.04.004
- Kang, K., Park, S. J., Shin, W. S., Um, B. H., and Kim, Y. K. (2012). Removal of Synthetic Heavy Metal (Cr6+, Cu2+, As3+, Pb2+) from Water using Red Mud and Lime Stone, Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, 34(8), pp. 566-573. https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2012.34.8.566
- Kim, B. R., Shin, W. S., and Kim, Y. G. (2015). Adsorption Characteristics of Cr6+ and As3+ using Seaweed Biochar, Applied Chemistry for Engineering, 26(4), pp. 483-488. https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2015.1060
- Kocaoba, S., Orhan, Y., and Akyuz, T. (2007). Kinetics and Equilibrium Studies of Heavy Metal Ions Removal by Use of Natural Zeolite, Desalination, 214, pp. 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2006.09.023
- Kozar, S., Bilinski, H., Branica, M., and Schwuger, M. J. (1992). Adsorption of Cd(II) and Pb(II) on Bentonite under Estuarine and Seawater Conditions, The Science of the Total Environment, 121, pp. 203-216. https://doi.org/10.1016/0048-9697(92)90316-K
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs (MLTMA). (2010). Guidance for Remediation Restroration of Marine Contaminated Sediment.
- Na, C. K., Han, M. Y., and Park, H. J. (2011). Applicability of Theoretical Adsorption Models for Studies on Adsorption Properties of Adsorbents(1), Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, 33(8), pp. 606-616. https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2011.33.8.606
- Oh, C. T., Rhee, S. S., Toshifumi, I., Kon, H. J., Lee, W. T., and Park, J. B. (2010). Sorption Characterisitics of Arsenic on Furnace Slag by Adsorption Isotherm and Kinetic Sorption Experiments, Korean Geotechincal Society, 26(9), pp. 37-45.
- Ok, Y. S., Yang, J. E., Zhang, Y. S., Kim, S. J., and Chung, D. Y. (2007). Heavy Metal Adsorption by a Formulated Zeolite-portland Cement Mixture, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 147, pp. 91-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2006.12.046
- Ortego, J. D. and Barroeta, Y. (1991). Leaching Effects on Silicate Polymerization, A FTIR and 29Si NMR Study of Lead and Zinc in Portland Cement, Environmental Science and Technology, 25, pp. 1171-1174. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00018a024
- Park, G. O. and Jun, S. H. (2008). Chemical Forms and Release Potential of Heavy Metals from the Lime Treated Sediments, Korean Journal of Limnology, 41(2), pp. 166-173.
- Ryu, J. S., Khim J. S., Kang, S. G., Kang, D. S., Lee, C. H. and Koh, C. H. (2011). The Impact of Heavy Metal Pollution Gradients in Sediments on Benthic Macrofauna at Population and Community Levels, Environmental Pollution, 159, pp. 2622-2629. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2011.05.034
- Shin, W. S. and Kim, Y. G. (2013). Removal Characteristics of Mixed Heavy Metals from Aqueous Solution by Recycled Aggregate as Construction Waste, Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environment and Energy, 16(2), pp. 115-120. https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2013.16.2.115
- Shin, W. S., Kang, K., and Kim, Y. G. (2014). Adsorption Characteristics of Multi-metal Ions by Red Mud, Zeolite, Limestone and Oyster Shell, Enviornmental Engineering Research, 19(1), pp. 15-22. https://doi.org/10.4491/eer.2014.19.1.015
- Shin, W. S. and Kim, Y. G. (2014a). Adsorption Characteristics of Synthetic Heavy Metals (Zn2+, Ni2+, Cd2+, Cu2+, and Pb2+) by Benthonite, Journal of KORRA, 22(2), pp. 17-26.
- Shin, W. S. and Kim, Y. G. (2014b). Stabilization of Mixed Heavy Metals in Contaminated Marine Sediment using Steel Slag, Journal of Navigation and Port Research, 38(3), pp. 269- 275. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2014.38.3.269
- Shin, W. S. and Kim, Y. G. (2015). Removal Characterisitcs of Heavy Metals from Aqueous Solution by Recycled Aggregate and Recycled Aggregate/steel Slag Composites as Industrial Byproducts, Applied Chemistry for Engineering, 26(4), pp. 477-482. https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2015.1059
- Sterckeman, T., Douay, F., Proix, N., and Fourrier, H. (2000). Vertical Distribution of Cd, Pb, and Zn in Soils Near Smelters in the North of France, Environmental Pollution, 107, pp. 377-389. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0269-7491(99)00165-7
- United States Environment Protection Agency (U. S. EPA). (2005). Contaminated Sediment Remediation Guidance for Hazardous Waste Sites.
- Verinika, D. and Carlo, V. (1998). Immobilization Mechanism of Arsenic in Waste Solidified using Cement and Lime, Environmental Sciences and Technology, 32, pp. 2782-2787. https://doi.org/10.1021/es971090j
- Weber, J. and Miller, C. T. (1989). Organic Chemical Movement over and through Soil. In: Sawhney, B. L. and Broen, K. (eds.). Reactions and Movement of Organic Chemicals in Soils, SSSA Special Publication 22, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, pp. 305-334.
- Wu, C. H., Lo, S. L., and Lin, C. F. (2000). Competitive Adorption of Molybdate, Chromate, Sulfate, Selenate, and Selenite on gAl2O3, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 166, pp. 251-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0927-7757(99)00404-5
- Yang, Z., Lin, Q., Lu, S., He, Y., Liao, G., and Ke, Y. (2014). Effect of CaO/SiO2 Ratio on the Preparation and Crystallization of Glass-ceramics from Copper Slag, Ceramics International, 40, pp. 7297-7305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2013.12.071
- Yoon, J. K., Amy, G., Chung, J. W., Sohn, J. S., and Yoon, Y. M. (2009). Removal of Toxic Ions (chromate, arsenate, and perchlorate) using reverse osmosis, nanofiltration, and ultrafiltration membranes, Chemosphere, 77, pp. 228-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2009.07.028
- Effects of Capping with Recycled Aggregates and Natural Zeolite on Inhibition of Contaminants Release from Marine Sediment vol.32, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2016.32.6.546