- Volume 19 Issue 2
Case Analysis of Program Outcomes Depending on Teaching Methods in Engineering Design Course
공학설계 교과목에서 교수-학습 방법에 따른 학습성과 분석 사례
- Kim, In-sook (Dept. of Medical Education, Yonsei University) ;
- Kang, Tae-wook (Dept. of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, Sogang University)
- Received : 2015.09.30
- Accepted : 2016.03.28
- Published : 2016.03.31
This paper is concerned with the development case of CEA(Course-Embedded Assessment) design tool for engineering education accreditation operations department for CEA system implemented. Each university or programs are already devoting efforts to build research and CEA system for CEA applied to. In order to effectively apply the CEA studies for each program it is required and particularly, the preferred way to build an operating system is considered a difficult situation of the course unit. Therefore, this case study and to propose a method and procedures required to assessment the design basis for curriculum and program assessment unit in terms of the applicability of CEA, proposes a virtual application results. The information proposed in this case study is determined that could be used in the design for the outcomes and assessment of a variety of programs as one of the steps to build the CEA systems.
Teaching Methods;Engineering Design;Technical Writing;Program Outcomes;Problem-based Learning
- ABET(2006). Engineering Change: A Study of the Impact of EC2000, Executive Summary, http://www.abet.org/papers.shtml.
- ABET(2015). Engineering Accreditation Commission. http://www.abet.org/accreditation/accreditation-criteria
- ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, http://www.asee.org/acPapers/2005-979_Final.pdf. Last accessed March 2008. Portland, OR.
- Boiarsky, C.(2004). Teaching engineering students to communicate effectively: a metacognitive approach. International Journal of Engineering Education, 20 (2) : 251-260.
- Dannels, D. P.(2003). Teaching and Learning Design Presentations in Engineering Contradictions between Academic and Workplace Activity Systems. Journal of Business and Technical Communication, 17(2) : 39-169.
- Dunlap, J. C.(2005). Problem-based learning and self-efficacy: How a capstone course prepares students for a profession. Educational Technology Research and Development, 53 (1) : 65-83. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02504858
- Ford, R., & Coulston, C.(2007). Design for Electrical and omputer Engineers. McGraw-Hill, Inc.
- Goldberg, J. R.(2009). Preparing students for capstone design [senior design]. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, IEEE, 28 (6) : 98-100. https://doi.org/10.1109/MEMB.2009.934917
- Helbling, J., David L., & Ron M.(2005). Integrating communications into team-taught senior design courses. In Web proceedings.
- Institute for Design and Engineering Applications(2016). Northwestern University, http://www.idea.northwestern.edu.
- Karsnitz, J., O'Brien, S., & Hutchinson, J.(2012). Engineering design: An introduction. MA:Cengage Learning.
- Kim, IS.(2009). Conceptual Model of Reflective Collaborative Work System for International Cooperative Project-Based Learning in Engineering Education. Proceedings of 2009 JSEE Annual Conference, Nagoya, Japan : 32-36.
- Kwon, SK.(2010). What to Teach in Writing Course for Engineering Students. Journal of Engineering Education Research, 13(1) : 3-16.
- Laffey, J., Tupper, T., Musser, D., & Wedman, J.(1998). A computer-mediated support system for project-based learning. Educational Technology Research and Development, 46(1) : 73-86.
- Lattuca, L. R., Terenzini, P. T., & Volkwein, J. F.(2006). Engineering Change: A Study of the Impact of EC2000: Executive Summary. ABET, Incorporated.
- Leydens, J. A., & Schneider, J.(2009). Innovations in composition programs that educate engineers: Drivers, opportunities, and challenges. Journal of Engineering Education, 98(3) : 255-271. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2009.tb01023.x
- McIntyre, C.(2002, November). Problem-based learning as applied to the construction and engineering capstone course at North Dakota state university. In Frontiers in Education.
- Oh, YK.(2014). Analysis of Experience and Perception in Writing of Students Majoring in Science and Engineering. Journal of Engineering Education Research, 17 (4) : 74-86. https://doi.org/10.18108/jeer.2014.17.4.74
- Omar, M. A.(2014). Design and Implementation of a Capstone Course to Satisfy the Industry Needs of Virtual Product Development and ABET Engineering Criteria. Education Research International. 2014 : 1-19.
- Paretti, M. C.(2008). Teaching communication in capstone design: The role of the instructor in situated learning. Journal of Engineering Education, 97 (4) : 491-503. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2008.tb00995.x
- Perrenet, J. C., Bouhuijs, P. A. J., & Smits, J. G. M. M.(2000). The suitability of problem-based learning for engineering education: theory and practice. Teaching in higher education, 5 (3) : 345-358. https://doi.org/10.1080/713699144
- Robinson, M. A., Paul R. Sparrow, Chris C., & Kamal B.(2005). Design engineering competencies: future requirements and predicted changes in the forthcoming decade. Design Studies, 26 (2) : 123-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.destud.2004.09.004
- Shuman, L.J., M. Besterfield-Sacre, & J. McGourty(2005). "The ABET 'Professional Skills'-Can they be taught? Can they be assessed?". Journal of Engineering Education, 94 (1) : 41-55. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2005.tb00828.x
- Thompson, N. S., Alford, E. M., Liao, C., Johnson, R., & Matthews, M. A.(2005). Integrating undergraduate research into engineering: A communications approach to holistic education. Journal of Engineering Education, 94 (3) : 297-307. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.2005.tb00854.x