- Volume 44 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Studies on Wood Quality and Growth of Alnus glutinosa in Korea - Anatomical Properties -
글루티노사오리나무의 생장과 재질 - 해부학적 성질 -
- Kim, Min-Ji (Department of Wood and Paper Science, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Byung-Ro (Department of Wood and Paper Science, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2016.01.28
- Accepted : 2016.03.12
- Published : 2016.05.25
In this study, relationship between seed origin and growth rate of Alnus glutinosa from different seed collection (Yugoslovia, ltaly, United Kingdom, Bulgaria) was investigated with focused on anatomical properties as wood fiber length, vessel element length and diameter. Alnus glutinosa showed diffuse-porous wood with scalariform perforation in alternate pitting. Ray height was 9~11 in tangential section and ray number were 16~26 in cross section. There were no differences on latewood focused on wood fiber length, length and diameter of vessel element, but difference on earlywood. Other than Yugoslavian seed, there was better growth rate with shorter wood fiber and vessel element length on latewood. However, seed from Yugoslovain showed better growth rate with longer wood fiber and vessel element length than other 3 seed orgins.
Alnus glutinosa;growth rate;anatomical properties;wood fiber;vessel element;vessel element diameter;ray
- Abe, H. 2005. Present state and future prospects of research on wood anatomy and wood quality. Mokuzai Gakgaishi 51(1): 7-9. https://doi.org/10.2488/jwrs.51.7
- Akutsu, A. 2003. Wood characteristics in plus tree clones of Sugi planted in southern Hokkaido (4). Hokkaido Forestry Research Institute 17(5): 8-15.
- Akutsu, A., Fugimoto, T., Kuromaru, M. 2006. Wood properties and genetic variation in plus-tree of todomatsu (Abies sachalinensis) (1). Hokkaido (4). Hokkaido Forestry Research Institute 20(1): 25-34.
- Fujisawa, Y., Ohta,, S., Nishimura. K., Tajima, M. 1992. Wood characteristic and genetic variation in Sugi. Mokuzai Gakgaishi 38(7): 638-644.
- Fujisawa, Y., Ohta., S., Tajima, M. 1993. Wood characteristic and genetic variation in Sugi II. Mokuzai Gakgaishi 39(8): 875-882.
- Han, M.S., Lee, C.J., Park, B.S., Kim, B.R. 2014. Studies on wood quality and growth of Quercus rubra (24 years old) in Korea. Journal of The Korean Wood Science & Technology 42(3): 327-348. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2014.42.3.327
- Han, J.H., Jeong, J.H., Lee, G.Y., Kim, B.R. 2015a. Studies on wood quality and growth of Alnus glutinosa (L.) in Korea-Physical Properties-. Journal of The Korean Wood Science & Technology 43(1): 1-8. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2015.43.1.1
- Han, M.S., Lee, J.R., Kim J.S., Shin, S.J., Kim, B.R. 2015b. Studies on wood quality and growth of Quercus rubra in Korea -Anatomical properties-. Journal of The Korean Wood Science & Technology 43(4): 421-428. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2015.43.4.421
- Hirakawa, Y., Fujisawa, Y. 1996. The S2 Microfibril angle variations in the vertical direction of latewood tracheids in susi (Cryptomeria japonica) trees. Mokzai Gakkaishi. 42(2) 107-114.
- Jang, H.L., Kim, B.R. 2014. Studies on wood quality and growth of Alnus glutinosa (L.) Gaertn. in Korea -Water absorption, hygroscopic-. Journal of Agriculture Science Research, Chungbuk national university 30(2): 189-193.
- Jeong, J.H., Kim, B.R 2015. Wwood quality and growth of Alnus glutinosa (L.) Gaertn. in Korea -Compressive and bending strength properties-. Journal of The Korean Wood Science & Technology 43(3): 287-294. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2015.43.3.287
- Kim, B.R., Missshro, A. 1998. Studies on variability of wood properties in stem of Pinus koraiensis (II) (Differnces in trachied length, microfibril angle and compression strength in south and north sides of stem). Journal of The Korean Wood Science & Technology 26(2): 45-50.
- Kim, B.R., Min, D.S. 1999. Studies on variability of wood properties in stem of Pinus koraiensis (III) (variations in tracheid length and width, microfibril angle and compression strength in the longitudinal direction). Journal of Korea Forestry Energy 18(1): 1-5.
- Lee, J.C., Han, Y.C., Ryu, K.O., Lee, K. Y. 1994. Provenance variation in growth performance of Alnus glutinosa (L.) Gaertn. at age five. Research Report of the Institute of Forest Genetics Korea 30: 64-74.
- Lee, P.W. 1994. The Structure of Korea Woods. Jeongminsa Press, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, W.Y. 1997. The structure of Korean woods -An aklas of scanning electron micrographs-. Hyangmoonsa Press, Seoul, Korea.
- Park, B.S., Park, J.H., Han, S.U. 2006. Variation of material properties of Korea red pine of superior families. Journal of Korea Forestry Energy 25(2): 9-15.
- Park, S.J., Lee, W.Y., Lee, W.H. 1990. Wood Structure and Discrimination. Hyangmoonsa Press, Seoul, Korea.