- Volume 44 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of The Knife-incising and Kerfing Pretreatment on Moisture Content and Surface Check Occurrence of Douglas-fir Heavy Timber
배할 및 자상-인사이징 전처리가 Douglas-fir 중목구조부재의 함수율과 재면할렬 발생에 미치는 영향
Lee, Chang-Jin;Lee, Nam-Ho;Oh, Seung-Won
- Received : 2015.11.16
- Accepted : 2016.02.02
- Published : 2016.05.25
This study was carried out to confirm the effects of the knife-incising and kerfing pretreatment on the moisture content and surface check occurrence of Douglas-fir heavy timber. In the case of moisture content, the moisture gradient that formed in the inner part of the specimen was observed in all specimens. In addition, the moisture gradient was formed differently from the surface layer to 72 mm depending on the pretreatment conditions, and it was formed gradually in the kerfing than the knife-incising. In addition, it was found that the solid volume should be considered when measuring the average moisture content. In the case of surface check, the surface check occurrence was reduced in the knife-incising, kerfing, and the combination of knife-incising and kerfing than the control. In particular, the kerfing treatment was shown that the expansion of surface check width was effectively suppressed. In the case of knife-incising treatment, although the surface check was less than the control, the preventive effect on the surface check occurrence did not reach the level of the kerfing treatment.
moisture content;surface check;surface check area ratio;check width expansion ratio;heavy timber;douglas-fir;high temperature drying
- American Society for Testing and Materials. 1968. Methods of measuring moisture content of wood (ASTM Standard D 2016). Philadelphia, United States.
- Bramhall, G., Wellwood, R.W. 1976. Kiln Drying of Western Canadian Lumber: Information Report, VP-X-159, Canadian Forest Service, Western Forest Products Laboratory, Vancouver, BC.
- Fujii, T., Suzuki, Y., Kuroda, N. 1997. Bordered pit aspiration in the wood of Cryptomeria japonica in relation to air permeability. Iawa Journal 18(1): 69-76. https://doi.org/10.1163/22941932-90001462
- Hattori, N., Ando, K., Kitayama, S., Kubo, T., Kobayashi, Y. 1997. Application of laser incising to microwave drying of sugi square lumber with black-heart. Forest resources and environment 35: 53-60.
- Hermawan, A., Fujimoto, N., Sakagami, H. 2012. Effects of high-temperature and low-humidity pretreatment on the drying properties of sugi boxed-heart timber with black-colored heartwood. Drying Technology 30(7): 780-786. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373937.2012.663433
- Hwang, K.H., Park, B.S. 2009. Effect of cross-sectional dimension on the shrinkage property of Korean red-pine wood. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 37(3): 231-238.
- Hsu, N.N., Tang, R.C. 1974. Internal stresses in wood logs due to anisotropic shrinkage. Wood Science 7(1): 43-51.
- Islam, M.N., Ando, K., Yamauchi, H., Hattori, N. 2009. Effects of species and moisture content on penetration of liquid in laser incised lumber by the passive impregnation method. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products. 67(2): 129-133. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00107-008-0292-y
- Jung, H.S., Lee, N.H., Park, J.H. 1997. The characteristics of vacuum drying heated by hot plates for the thinned logs and pillars of korean pine. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 25(4): 51-60.
- Kang, C.W., Matsumura, J., Kang, W. 2008. Observation of shrinkage features of cross sectional surface of wood by LV-SEM. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 36(3): 17-23.
- Listyanto, T., Ando, K., Yamauchi, H., Hattori, N. 2013. Microwave and steam injection drying of CO2 laser incised sugi lumber. Journal of wood science 59(4): 282-289. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10086-013-1331-9
- Lee, C.J., Lee, N.H., Eom, C.D., Shin, I.H., Park, M.J., Park, J.S. 2013. Effect of end-coating around pith of heavy timbers of red pine and korean pine on high-temperature and low-humidity drying characteristics. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 41(3): 221-233. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2013.41.3.221
- Lee, H.M., Lee, D.H., Hwang, W.J. 2013. Penetration of ACQ treatment and its effect of degradation on wood tissues (Structure). Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 41(6): 576-582. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2013.41.6.576
- Lee, C.J., Lee, N.H., Park, M.J., Park, J.S., Eom, C.D. 2014. Effect of reserve air-drying of korean pine heavy timbers on high-temperature and low-humidity drying characteristics. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 42(1): 49-57. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2014.42.1.49
- Perrin, P.W. 1978. Review of incising and its effects on strength and preservative treatment of wood. Forest Products Journal 28(9): 27-33.
- Park, J.C., Kim, S.W., Ryu, J.Y., Hong, S.I. 2008. Strength Property of the incised larix (Larix kaempferi Carr.) round posts treated with CCA. Journal of the Korean Wood Science and Technology 36(3): 85-92.
- Simpson W.T. 1991. Dry kiln operator's manual. Forest Products Laboratory, Madison, United States.
- Shusheng, P., Langriah, T.A.G., Keey, R.B. 1994. Moisture movement in softwood timber at elevated temperatures. Drying Technology 12(8): 1897-1914. https://doi.org/10.1080/07373939408962212
- Winandy, J.E., Morrell, J.J. 1998. Effects of incising on lumber strength and stiffness: relationships between incision density and depth, species, and MSR grade. Wood and fiber science 30(2): 185-197.
- Yoshida, T., Hashizume, T., Fujimoto, N. 2000. High-temperature drying characteristics on boxed-heart square timber of karamatsu and sugi-influences of high temperature conditions with low humidity on drying properties. Mokuzai Kogyo 55(8): 357-362.
- Effects of the Knife-Incising and Longitudinal Kerfing Treatment on High-Temperature Drying Characteristics of Red Pine Square Timber vol.44, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2016.44.5.677
- Studies on the High-Temperature Drying Characteristics of Douglas-fir, Hemlock and Radiata Pine Square Timber vol.44, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2016.44.5.726
Supported by : 교육과학기술부