- Volume 44 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Enhancement of Ethanol Production by The Removal of Fermentation Inhibitors, and Effect of Lignin-derived Inhibitors on Fermentation
에탄올 생산 향상을 위한 발효저해물질 제거와 리그닌 유래 발효저해물질이 에탄올 발효에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2016.02.29
- Accepted : 2016.04.23
- Published : 2016.05.25
In this study, ethanol was produced from a biomass hydrolysate that had been treated by electrodialysis (ED) and Amberlite XAD resin to remove fermentation inhibitors. Most of the acetic acid (95.6%) was removed during the ED process. Non-ionizable compounds such as total phenolic compounds, 5-hydroxymethyl furfural, and furfural were effectively removed by the XAD resin treatment. Ethanol production was improved when the ED-treated hydrolysate was treated with XAD-4 resin for a short reaction time. The highest ethanol production from ED-treated hydrolysate was
ethanol;electrodialysis;XAD resin;fermentation inhibitors
- Aimin, L., Quanxing, Z., Jinlong, C., Zhenghao, F., Chao, L., Wanxing, L. 2001. Adsorption of phenolic compounds on Amberlite XAD-4 and its acetylated derivative MX-4. Reactive and Functional Polymers 49: 225-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1381-5148(01)00080-3
- Imai, A., Fukushima, T., Matsushige, K., Kim, Y.H., Choi, K. 2002. Characterization of dissolved organic matter in effluents from waste water treatment plants. Water Research 36: 859-870. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(01)00283-4
- Jeong, S.Y., Trinh, L.T.P., Lee, H.J., Lee, J.W. 2014. Improvement of the fermentability of oxalic acid hydrolysates by detoxification using electrodialysis and adsorption. Bioresource Technology 152: 444-449. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2013.11.029
- Jia, C., Li, X., Liu, Z., Xu, B., Yao, S., Song, H. 2015. Adsorption process and mechanism for furfural separation with macroporous resin. Desalination and Water Treatment 56(8): 2214-2224. https://doi.org/10.1080/19443994.2014.960455
- Kim, H.Y., Lee, J.W., Thomas, W. J., Choi, I.G. 2011. Evaluation of oxalic acid pretreatment condition using response surface method for producing bio-ethanol from yellow poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera) by simultaneous saccharification and fermentation, Journal of Korean Wood Science and Technology 39(1): 75-85. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2011.39.1.75
- Klinke, H.B., Olsson, L., Thomsen, A.B., Ahring, B.K. 2003. Potential inhibitors from wet oxidation of wheat straw and their effect on ethanol production of Saccharomyces cerevisiae: Wet oxidation and fermentation by yeast. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 81(6): 738-747. https://doi.org/10.1002/bit.10523
- Kundu, C. 2015. Enhanced bioethanol production from oxalic acid pretreated hydrolysate of lignocellulosic biomass by combined detoxification process. Master's Thesis, Chonnam National University, Korea.
- Lee, M.G., Cho, D.H., Kim, Y.H., Lee, J.W., Lee, J.H., Kim, S.W., Cho, J.H., Kim, S.G., Park, C.H. 2009. Evaluation of biological and physico-chemical detoxification methods for the removal of inhibitors in lignocellulose hydrolysate. Korean Society for Biotechnology and Bioengineering 24(5): 439-445.
- Li, C., Xu, M., Sun, X., Han, S., Wu, X., Liu, Y.N., Huan, J., Deng, S. 2013. Chemical modification of Amberlite XAD-4 by carbonyl groups for phenol adsorption from wastewater. Chemical Engineering Journal 229: 20-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2013.05.090
- Lim, W.S., Lee, J.W. 2012. Enzymatic hydrolysis condition of pretreated corncob by oxalic acid to improve ethanol production. Journal of Korean Wood Science and Technology 40(4): 294-301. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2012.40.4.294
- Mulder, M. 1996. Basic principles of membrane technology. Kulwer Academic Publishers.
- Pu, Y., Hu, F., Huang, F., Davison, B.H. Ragauskas, A.J. 2013. Assessing the molecular structure basis for biomass recalcitrance during dilute acid and hydrothermal pretreatments. Biotechnology for Biofuels 6:15. https://doi.org/10.1186/1754-6834-6-15
- Seo, Y.J., Lim, W.S., Lee, J.W. 2011. Optimal condition for simultaneous saccharification and fermentation using pretreated corncob by oxalic acid, Journal of Korean Wood Science and Technology 39(6): 490-497. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2011.39.6.490
- Shin, G.J., Jeong, S.Y., Lee, H.J., Lee, J.W. 2015. Furfural production and recovery by two-stage acid treatment of lignocellulosic biomass. Journal of Korean Wood Science and Technology 43(1): 76-85. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2015.43.1.76
- Sim, S.W. 2012, Economical efficiency analysis of bioethanol for transportation, Master's Thesis, Korea University, Korea.
- Szczodrak, J., Fiedurek, J. 1996. Technology for conversion of lignocellulosic biomass to ethanol. Biomass and Bioenergy 10(5-6): 367-375. https://doi.org/10.1016/0961-9534(95)00114-X
- Vargas-Hernandeza, D., Rubio-Caballerob, J.M., Santamaria-Gonzalezb, J., Perez-Cruza, R., Jimenez-Lopezb, M.A., Hernandez-Huescaa, R., Maireles-Torresb., P. 2014. Furfuryl alcohol from furfural hydrogenation over copper supported on SBA-15 silica catalysts. Journal of Molecular Catalysis A: Chemical 383-384: 106-113. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molcata.2013.11.034
- Viia, L. 1999. Comparison of XAD resins for the isolation of humic substances from seawater. Journal of Chromatography A 845: 1-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(99)00132-6
- Weil, J.R., Dien, B., Bothast, R., Hendrickson, R., Mosier, N.S., Ladisch, M. R., 2002. Removal of fermentation inhibitors formed during pretreatment of biomass by polymeric adsorbents. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 41: 6132-6138. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie0201056
Supported by : 산림청