- Volume 44 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Bending Strength Performance Evaluation of Glass Fiber Cloth Reinforced Cylindrical Laminated Veneer Lumber
직물형 유리섬유로 보강된 원통형 단판적층재의 휨 강도 성능 평가
Lee, In-Hwan;Hong, Soon-Il
- Received : 2015.11.03
- Accepted : 2016.04.22
- Published : 2016.05.25
Cylindrical laminated veneer lumber (LVL) is produced by winding the veneer tape on a circular cylinder. The veneer tape was produced by cutting the veneer into a rectangular shape and sewing it in a vertical direction to the fiber. The tensile strength test was carried out by producing the veneer tape specimen with different species of veneer, types and combinations of sewing yarn. The Radiata pine veneer tape produced with three sewing lines using the reinforced sewing thread had the best tensile strength. Also, the separation and snapping problems of the veneer tape were improved, resulting in the improvement in the workability of cylindrical LVL. The bending strength of various cylindrical LVL produced with different types of veneer tape and a different number of lamination layers and the application of reinforcement with glass fiber cloth was compared with that of Larix log. Bending MOR of cylindrical LVL reinforced with glass fiber cloth at the volume ratio of 11% was improved by 65% in comparison to the non-reinforced cylindrical LVL. In the case of the cylindrical LVL produced with 2 sewing lines of veneer tape, a fracture occurred at the butt joint between the veneer tapes. However, in the case of the cylindrical LVL produced with 3 sewing lines of veneer tape a fracture occurred in the fiber direction.
bending performance;cylindrical Laminated veneer lumber;glass fiber cloth;veneer tape;spiral winder
- Benoit, P.G., Ian D.U., Henri, B., Robbie, L.M. 2014. Structural veneer based composite products from hardwood thinning - part II : testing of hollow utility poles. Materials and Joints in Timber Structures RILEM bookseris 9: 629-640.
- Berard, P., Yang, P., Yamauchi, H., Umemura, K., Kawai, S. 2011. Modeling of a cylindrical laminated veneer lumber II: a nonlinear finite element model to improve the quality of the butt joint. Journal of Wood Science 57: 107-113. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10086-010-1148-8
- Hata, T., Umemura, K., Kawai, S. 1998. Continuous manufacturing of cylindrical-LVL by using "spiral-windering method". Wood reserch: Bulletin of the Wood Research Institute Kyoto University 85: 92-95.
- Hata, T., Umemura, K., Yamauchi, H., Nakayama, A., Kawai, S., Sasaki, H. 2001. Design and pilot production of a "spiral-winder" for the manufacture of cylindrical laminated veneer lumber. Journal of Wood Science 47: 115-123. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00780559
- Inaba, D., Morita, M., Nakano, H., Takenaka A., Kawai, S. 2003. Continuous manufacture of cylindrical laminated veneer lumber. Wood research: Bulletin of the Wood Research Institute Kyoto University 90: 19-20.
- Park, J.C., Sin, Y.J., Hong, S.I. 2009. Bending Performance of Glulam Beams Reinforced with Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Plastics Bonded with Polyvinyl Acetate-Based Adhesive. Journal of The Korean Wood Science & Technology 37(4): 364-371.
- Park, J.C., Sin, Y.J., Hong, S.I. 2009. Bonding performance of glulam reinforced with glass fiber-reinforced plastics. Journal of The Korean Wood Science & Technology 37(4): 357-363.
- Song, Y.J., Jung, H.J., Park, H.H., Lee, H.Y., Hong, S.I. 2014. Evaluation of the moment resistance joint strength of larch glulam fiber reinforced wood plate. Journal of The Korean Wood Science & Technology 42(5): 571-578. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2014.42.5.571
- Song, Y.J., Jung, H.J., Lee, J.J., Suh, J.S., Park, S.B., Hong, S.I. 2014. Structural performance of joints for partial reinforced beam using GFRP laminated plate and cylindrical reinforced LVL column. Journal of The Korean Wood Science & Technology 42(3): 282-289. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2014.42.3.282
- Suh, J.H., Kim, J.I., Hwang, S.W., Park, S.B. 2012. Bonding Quality of Cylindrical LVL and Surface Durability by Its Painting. Journal of The Korean Wood Science & Technology 40(6): 418-423. https://doi.org/10.5658/WOOD.2012.40.6.418
- Yamauchi, H., Shoho, S., Yang, O., Kawai, S., Sasaki, H. 1997. Manufacturing of cylindrical LVL by spiral-winding method. I . Effect of interlocked-Plies on the tensile Young's modulus. Mokuzai Gakkaishi 43: 747-753.
Supported by : 강원대학교