- Volume 23 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing Performance of MultiDrug-Resistant Organisms Infection Control in Nurses of General Hospital
종합병원 간호사의 다제내성균 감염관리 수행도에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Received : 2015.08.11
- Accepted : 2016.05.13
- Published : 2016.05.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify factors influencing performance of MultiDrug-Resistant Organisms (MDROs) infection control by nurses in general hospitals. Methods: The research design was a descriptive survey design using convenience sampling. Data were collected from 130 nurses working in 6 general hospitals. Collected data were analyzed using SPSS/WIN 21.0 program for descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson correlation coefficients and multiple regression analysis. Results: General hospital nurses' MDROs infection control performance was influenced by their awareness of environmental safety, recognition of MDROs infection control, number of beds in the hospital, whether nurses had nursing experience with infection control and guidelines for MDROs infection control. The most important predictors of MDROs infection control performance were awareness of environmental safety and recognition of MDROs infection control. Conclusion: Findings indicate that it is necessary to include content related to awareness of environmental safety and recognition of infection control in developing MDROs infection control education programs for general hospital nurses.
Multiple drug-resistant;Infection control;Performance;General hospitals;Nurses
- Park ES, Jeong JS, Kim KM, Kim OS, Jin HY, Jung SY, et al. A study on the costs of hospital infection control and prevention. Korean Journal Nosocomial Infection Control. 2007;12(1):50-57.
- Siegel JD, Rhinehart E, Jackson M, Chiarello L. 2007 guideline for isolation precautions: Preventing transmission of infectious agents in health care settings. American Journal of Infection Control. 2007;35(10):S65-S164. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2007.10.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2007.10.007
- Oh HS. National survey on nurses' knowledge of infection control in general hospitals and analysis of variables to impact on their knowledge. Korean Journal of Nosocomial Infection Control. 2005;10(2):78-86.
- Kim NC, Choi KO. Effects on nurses' hand washing behavior and reduction of respiratory isolation rate of MRSA of the hand washing education. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing. 2002;14(1):26-33.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Korea National Institute of Health. Korean antimicrobial resistance monitoring system 2013 Annual Report. Osong: Ministry of Health & Welfare; 2015 March. Report No.: 11-1352159-00050-10.
- Cho GL, Choi JS. Knowledge of and compliance with standard precautions by nurses in intensive care unit. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2010; 17(1):73-81.
- Park YM, Park HS, Park KY. Factors influencing level of awareness and compliance with vancomycin-resistant enterococcus infection control among nurses in intensive care units. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2008;15(4):531-538.
- Kim JH, Lim KH. The factors influencing compliance with multidrug-resistant organism infection control in intensive care units nurses. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2015;27(3):325-336. http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.3.325 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.3.325
- Park YM, Park KY. Influence of VRE knowledge and awareness with VRE infection control in compliance with VRE infection control among nurses in intensive care units. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. 2009;11(1): 42-50.
- Kim TK. Min HS, Jung HY. Knowledge and performance level of infection control with MRSA of medium and small hospital nurses. Korean Journal of Health Service Management. 2012;6(3):157-169. http://dx.doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2012.6.3.157 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2012.6.3.157
- Yoo MS, Ban KO, Yoo IY. Recognition, self and objective evaluations of nosocomial respiratory infection control practices by ICU nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2002;9(3):349-359.
- Jung YW, Lee YH, Yu BC. The relationship of nurse's awareness, performance for nosocomial infection control and psychological empowerment. Kosin Medical Journal. 2008; 23(2):85-91.
- Choi MH. The relationship between the awareness and performance regarding to infection management and the psychological empowerment of operating room nurses [master's thesis]. Suwon: Ajou University; 2003. p. 29-38.
- Kang J, Cho J, Kim Y, Kim DH, Lee J, Park HK. et al. Hospital nurses' knowledge and compliance on multidrug-resistant organism infection control guideline. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2009;39(2):186-197. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.2.186 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.2.186
- Yoo MS, Son YJ, Ham HM, Park MM, Um AH. A comparative study of nurses' recognition and practice level of general nosocomial infection, MRSA and VRE infection control. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2004;11(1):31-40.
- Park JS, Yoon YK, Hwang JY, Jeong YH, Kim JE, Kim EY. et al. Statistics for hospital management [Internet]. Seoul: Korea Health Industry Development Institute; 2014 [cited 2015 September 5]. Available from: https://www.khidi.or.kr/board/view?linkId=148176&menuId=MENU00085.
- Lee HS. The essence dictionary of Korean language. 4th ed. Seoul: Minjung Seorim; 1996.
- Suh YH. Oh HY. Knowledge, perception, safety climate, and compliance with hospital infection standard precautions among hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2010;16(1):61-70.
- Cho GL. Influencing factors on the compliance about standard precautions among ICU and ER nurse [master's theses]. Seoul: Seoul National University; 2007. p. 5-7.
- Conger JA, Kanungo RN. The empowerment process: integrating theory and practice. Academy of Management Review. 1988;13(3):471-482. http://dx.doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1988.4306983 https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1988.4306983
- Spreitzer GM. Psychological empowerment in the workplace: dimension, measurement and validation. Academy of Management Journal. 1995;38(5):1442-1465. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/256865 https://doi.org/10.2307/256865
- Medium and small-sized hospital management support and policy development report. Korea Health Industry Development Institute. 2014 December. Report No.: Health care-2014-98.
- Yoon JM, Sung MH. The relationship between empowerment and performance of infection control by emergency department nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2009;16(4);412-420.
- Curry VJ, Cole M. Applying social and behavioral theory as a template in containing and confining VRE. Critical Care Nursing Quarterly. 2001;24(2):13-19. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002727-200108000-00003