- Volume 32 Issue 5
This paper presents the investigation of the major influence factors on the degree of soil plugging for open-ended piles based on the Coupled Eulerian-Lagrangian (CEL) numerical technique. The main objective of this study was to investigate the effect of soil plugging on the response of piles in various conditions. Through comparison of the results of field load tests, the CEL methodology was found to be in good agreement with the general trend observed by in situ measurement. Additionally, the parametric studies were performed by controlling the soil conditions, soil elastic moduli, end-bearing conditions and multi layers. It was found that the degree of soil plugging for sand layers was greater than that of clay layers. Also, the degree of soil plugging increased with an increase in both the soil stiffness and length of pile embedded in the bearing layer.
Open-ended piles;Influence factors;Degree of soil plugging;Coupled Eulerian-Lagrangian technique;Soil conditions;End-bearing conditions
- Bowles, J. E. (2002), Foundation Analysis and Design, McGraw-Hill, New York, USA.
- Brucy, F., Meunier, J., and Nauroy, J.F. (1991), "Behavior of Pile Plug in Sandy Soils during and After Driving", Proceedings of 23rd Annual Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, 1, pp.145-154.
- De Nicola, A. and Randolph, M.F. (1997), "The Plugging behaviour of Driven and Jacked Piles in Sand", Geotechnique, Vol.47, No.4, pp.841-856. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1922.214.171.1241
- Goble, G. G., Raushe, F. R., and Likins, G. E. (1980), "The Analysis of Pile Driving-a State-of-the-art", Proceedings of International Seminar on the Application of Stress-Wave Theory on Piles, Stockholm, Sweden, pp.131-162.
- Jeong, S. S., Lee, K. W., Kim, Y. M., and Kim, J. H. (2014), "A Study on the Landslide/debris Flow based on Large Deformation Analysis", Proceedings of the 40th KSCE Conference, Daegu, Korea, pp.271-272.
- Jeong, S.S., Lee, K.W., and Ko. J.Y. (2015), "A Study on the 3D Analysis of Debris Flow based on Large Deformation Technique (Coupled Eulerian-Lagrangian)", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.31, No.12, pp.45-57.
- Kim, Y. H. and Jeong, S. S. (2014), "Analysis of Dynamically Penetrating Anchor based on Coupled Eulerian-Lagrangian (CEL) Methods", Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.34, No.3, pp.895-906. https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2014.34.3.0895
- Kishida, H. (1967), "The Ultimate Bearing Capacity of Pipe Piles in Sand", Proceedings of the 3rd Asian Regional Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, pp.196-199.
- Kishida, H. and Isemoto, N. (1977), "Behavior of Sand Plugs in Open Ended Steel Pipe Piles", Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Tokyo, Japan, Vol.1, pp.601-612.
- Klos, J. and Tejchman, A. (1977), "Analysis of behavior of Tubular Piles in Subsoil", Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Tokyo, Japan, pp. 605-608.
- Klos, J. and Tejchman, A. (1981), "Bearing Capacity Calculation for Pipe Piles", Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Stockholm, Sweden, Vol.2, pp.751-754.
- Ko. J. Y. (2015), "Evaluation of Bearing Capacity for Open-Ended Piles with Soil Plugging", Ph.D. thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Ko, J. Y. and Jeong, S. S. (2014), "Analysis of Plugging Effect for Open-ended Piles based on Field Tests", Journal of Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.30, No.12, pp.51-61.
- Ko, J. Y. and Jeong, S. S. (2015), "Plugging Effect of Open-ended Piles in Sandy Soil", Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol.52, No.5, pp.535-547. https://doi.org/10.1139/cgj-2014-0041
- ABAQUS. (2013), ABAQUS user's and theory manuals, Version 6.13. rhode island: Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc.
- Beringen, F. L., Windle, D., and Van Hooydonk, W. R. (1979), "Results of Loading Tests on Driven Piles in Sand", Proceedings of the Conference on Recent Development in the Design and Construction of Piles, ICE, London, Vol.21-22, pp.213-225.
- Ko. J. Y., Jeong, S. S., and Lee, S. Y. (2015), "A Study on the 3D Analysis of Driven Pile Penetration based on Large Deformation Technique (Coupled Eulerian-Lagrangian)", Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, Vol.31, No.8, pp.29-38.
- Ko, J. Y, Jeong, S. S., and Lee, J. K. (2016), "Large Deformation FE Analysis of Driven Steel Pipe Piles with Soil Plugging", Computers and Geotechnics, Vol.71, pp.82-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2015.08.005
- Kraft, L. M. Jr. (1991), "Performance of Axially Loaded Pipe Piles in Sand", Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol.117, No.2, pp. 272-296. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1991)117:2(272)
- Lee, S. Y. (2016), "A Study on the Excavation Damage Zone (EDZ) under TBM Excavation", M.S. thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Matsumoto, T. and Takei, M. (1991), "Effects of Soil Plug on behavior of Driven Pipe Piles", Soils and Foundations, Vol.31, No.2, pp.14-34. https://doi.org/10.3208/sandf1972.31.2_14
- Nauroy, J. F. and Le Tirant, P. (1983), "Model Tests of Calcareous sands", Proceedings of conference on geotechnical practice in offshore engineering, Austin, TX., pp.27-39.
- Paik, K. H., Salgado, R., Lee, J. H., and Kim, B. J. (2003), "Behavior of Open- and Closed-ended Piles Driven into Sands", Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 129, No.4, pp.296-306. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2003)129:4(296)
- Paikowsky, S. G. (1989), "A Static Evaluation of Soil Plug behavior with Application to the Pile Plugging Problem", D.Sc. thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, MA.
- Paikowsky, S.G., Whitman, R.V., and Baligh, M.M. (1989), "A New Look at the Phenomenon of Offshore Pile Plugging", Marine Georesources & Geotechnology, Vol.8, pp.213-230. https://doi.org/10.1080/10641198909379869
- Paikowsky, S. G. (1990), "The Mechanism of Pile Plugging in Sand", Proceedings of the 22nd Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, TX, pp.593-604.
- Qiu, G., Henke, S., and Grabe, J. (2011), "Application of a Coupled Eulerian-Lagrangian Approach on Geomechanical Problems Involving Large Deformations", Computers and Geotechnics, Vol.38, pp.30-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2010.09.002
- Randolph, M. F., May, M., Leong, E. C., Hyden, A. M., and Murff, J. D. (1990), "Soil Plug Response in Open-ended Pipe Piles", Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol.118, No.5, pp.743-759.
- Szechy, C. H. (1959), "Tests with Tubular Piles", Acta Technica, Hungarian Academy of Science, Vol.24, pp.181-219.
- Yamahara, H. (1964), "Plugging Effects and Bearing Mechanism of Steel Pipe Piles", Transportation of the Architectural Institute of Japan, Vol.96, pp.28-35. https://doi.org/10.3130/aijsaxx.96.0_28
Supported by : 한국연구재단