- Volume 10 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Experimental fragility functions for exterior deficient RC beam-column connections before and after rehabilitation
- Marthong, Comingstarful ;
- Deb, Sajal K. ;
- Dutta, Anjan
- Received : 2016.01.13
- Accepted : 2016.05.02
- Published : 2016.06.25
The paper presents the development of experimental fragility functions for exterior RC beam-column connections based on results obtained from extensive testing carried out in the present study. Three typical types of seismically deficient beam-column connections, which are commonly prevalent in Indian sub-continent, were considered. These specimens were tested under cyclic displacement histories with different characteristics to induce different damage states. Rehabilitation specific fragility functions for damaged specimens were developed considering drift angle as a demand parameter. Four probability distributions were fit to the data and suitability of each distribution was evaluated using standard statistical method. Specimens with different damage states were rehabilitated appropriately and rehabilitated specimens were tested under similar displacement histories. Fragility functions for rehabilitated specimens have also been developed following similar procedure. Comparison of fragility functions for both original and rehabilitated specimens for each rehabilitation method showed close agreement, which establishes the effectiveness of the adopted rehabilitation strategies and hence would provide confidence in field application.
fragility functions;beam-column connections;damage states;demand parameter;rehabilitation;cyclic loading
- Applied Technology Council, ATC-13 (1985), "Earthquake damage evaluation data for California", Applied Technology Council, Redwood City, California.
- Applied Technology Council, ATC-40 (1996), "Seismic evaluation and retrofit of concrete buildings", Applied Technology Council, Redwood City, California.
- Aslani, H. and Miranda, E. (2005), "Fragility assessment of slab-column connections in existing non-ductile reinforced concrete buildings", J. Earthq. Eng., 9(6), 777-804.
- Alsayed, S., Al-Salloum, Y., Almusallam, T. and Siddiqui, N. (2010), "Seismic response of FRP-Upgraded exterior RC beam-column joints", J. Compos. Constr., ASCE, 14(2), 195-208. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000067
- ACI 318-08 (2008), "Building code requirements for structural concrete and commentary", Farmington Hills, MI: American Concrete Institute.
- Choudhury, A.M. (2010), "Study on size effect of RC beam-column connections with and without retrofitting under cyclic loading", Doctoral Thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati, India.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency, FEMA (1998), Repair of earthquake Damaged Concrete and Masonry Wall Buildings, FEMA 308, 24-42.
- Filiatrault, A. and Lebrun, I. (1996), "Seismic repairing of reinforced concrete joints by epoxy pressure injection technique", ACI, SP, 160, 73-92.
- Gulec, C.K., Whittaker, A.S. and Hooper, J.D. (2010), "Fragility functions for low aspect ratio reinforced concrete walls", Eng. Struct., 32(9), 2894-2901. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.05.008
- Haldar, A. and Mahadevan, S. (2000), Probability, Reliability, and Statistical Methods for Engineering Design, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Hayter, A.J. (2002), "Probability and statistic for engineers and scientists", Duxbury, Thompson Learning, USA.
- Hadi, M.N.S. (2010), "Rehabilitating destructed reinforced concrete T- connections by steel strap", J. Constr. Build. Mater., 25(2), 851-858.
- IS 456 (2000), "Plain and reinforced concrete - Code of Practice", Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi.
- IS 13920 (1993), "Ductile detailing of reinforced concrete structures subjected to seismic forces - Code of Practice", Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi.
- IS: 12269 (1987), "Specification for OPC-53 grade cement", Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi.
- IS: 10262 (2009), "Guidelines for concrete mix design proportioning (CED 2: Cement and Concrete)", Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi.
- IS: 2386a (1963), "Methods of test for aggregates for concrete - Part 1: Particle size and shape", Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi.
- IS: 2386b (1963), "Methods of Test for aggregates for concrete - Part 3: Specific gravity, Density, Voids, Absorption and Bulking", Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi.
- IS: 432 (1) (1982), "Specification for mild steel and medium tensile steel bars and hard-drawn steel wire for concrete reinforcement: Part I Mild steel and medium tensile steel bars", Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi.
- IS: 1608 (1995), "Mechanical testing of metals - tensile testing", Bureau of Indian Standard, New Delhi.
- Jeon, J., Lowes, L.N., DesRoches, R. and Brilakis, I. (2015), "Fragility curves for non-ductile reinforced concrete frames that exhibit different component response mechanisms", Eng. Struct., 85, 127-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.12.009
- Karayannis, C.G., Chalioris, C.E. and Sideris, K.K. (1998), "Effectiveness of RC beam-column connection repair using epoxy resin injections", J. Earthq. Eng., 2(2), 217-240.
- Karayannis, C.G., Chalioris, C.E. and Sirkelis, G.M. (2008a), "Local retrofit of exterior beam-column joints using thin RC jackets-An experimental study", J. Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 37(5), 727-746. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.783
- Karayannis, C.G. and Sirkelis, G.M. (2008b), "Strengthening and rehabilitation of RC beam-column joints using C-FRP jacketing and epoxy resin injection", J. Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 37(5), 769-790. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.785
- Lignos, D., Kolios, D. and Miranda, E. (2010), "Fragility assessment of reduced beam section moment connections", J. Struct. Eng, 136(9), 1140-1150. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000214
- Lilliefors, H.W. (1967), "On the K-S Test for normality with mean and variance unknown", J. Am. Statistic. Assoc., 62(318), 399-402. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1967.10482916
- Marthong, C., Dutta, A. and Deb, S.K. (2013), "Seismic rehabilitation of RC exterior beam-column connections using epoxy resin injection", J. Earthq. Eng., 17(3), 378-398. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2012.738284
- Mosalam, K.M., Ayala, G., White, R.N. and Roth, C. (1997), "Seismic fragility of LRC frames with and without masonry infill walls", J. Earthq. Eng., 1(4), 693-719.
- Marthong, C. and Marthong, S. (2016), "An experimental study on the effect of PET fibers on the behavior of exterior RC beam-column connection subjected to reversed cyclic loading", Struct. J., 5, 175-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.istruc.2015.11.003
- Mukherjee, A. and Joshi, M. (2005), "FRPC reinforced concrete beam-column joints under cyclic excitation", Compos. Struct., 70(2), 185-199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2004.08.022
- Pagni, C.A. and Lowes, L.N. (2006), "Fragility functions for older reinforced concrete beam-column joints", Earthq. Spectra, 22(1), 215-238. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.2163365
- Porter, K., Kennedy, R. and Bachman, R. (2007a), "Creating fragility functions for performance-based earthquake engineering", Earthq. Spectra, 23(2), 471-489. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.2720892
- Porter, K., Hamburger, R. and Kennedy, R. (2007b), "Practical development and application of fragility functions", Struct. Eng. Res. Front., 1-16.
- Ramamoorthy, S.K. (2006), "Seismic fragility estimates for reinforced concrete framed buildings", Doctoral Thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, Graduate Studies of Texas A&M University, United States.
- Shinozuka, M., Kim, S., Kushiyama, S. and Yi, J. (2002), "Fragility curves of concrete bridges retrofitted by column jacketing", Eng. Eng. Vib., 1(2), 195-205. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-002-0065-2
- Singhal, A. and Kiremidjian, A.S. (1996), "Method for probabilistic evaluation of seismic structural damage", J. Struct. Eng., 122(12), 1459-1467. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1996)122:12(1459)
- Tsonos, A.G. (2001), "Seismic repairing of reinforced concrete joints by removal and replacement technique", Eur. Earthq. Eng., 3, 29-43.
- Yamazaki, F. and Murao, O. (2000), "Vulnerability functions for Japanese buildings based on damage data from the 1995 Kobe earthquake", Implication of recent earthquakes on seismic risk: Series on Innovation and Construction, Imperial College Press, London, 2, 91-102.
- Yurdakul, O. and Avsar, O. (2015), "Structural repairing of damaged reinforced concrete beam- column assemblies with CFRPs", Struct. Eng. Mech., 54(3), 521-543. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.54.3.521
- Experimental and numerical evaluation of rigid column to baseplate connection under cyclic loading pp.15417794, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1596