- Volume 10 Issue 6
The soil-structure interaction effect significantly influences the design of multi-storey buildings subjected to lateral seismic loads. The shear walls are often provided in such buildings to increase the lateral stability to resist seismic loads. In the present work, the nonlinear soil-structure analysis of a G+5 storey RC shear wall building frame having isolated column footings and founded on deformable soil is presented. The nonlinear seismic FE analysis is carried out using ANSYS software for the building with and without shear walls to investigate the effect of inclusion of shear wall on the moments in the footings due to differential settlement of soil mass. The frame is considered to behave in linear elastic manner, whereas, soil mass to behave in nonlinear manner. It is found that the interaction effect causes significant variation in the moments in the footings. The comparison of non-interaction and interaction analyses suggests that the presence of shear wall causes significant decrease in bending moments in most of the footings but the interaction effect causes restoration of the bending moments to a great extent. A comparison is made between linear and nonlinear analyses to draw some important conclusions.
soil-structure interaction;ANSYS;space frame;shear wall;nonlinear analysis;foundation moments;isolated footings;seismic forces
- Agrawal, R. and Hora, M.S. (2010), "Effect of differential settlements on nonlinear interaction behaviour of plane frame-soil system", ARPN, J. Eng. Appl. Sci., 5(7), 75-87.
- ANSYS Inc. (2009), ANSYS Structural Analysis Guide, ANSYS Inc., Southpointe, 275 Technology Drive, Canonsburg, PA 15317.
- Arlekar, J.N., Jain, S. and Murthy, C.V.R. (1997), "Seismic response of R.C. frame buildings with soft first storeys", Proceedings of the CBRI Golden Jubilee Year Conference on Natural Hazards in Urban Habitat, New Delhi, India.
- Bishop, A.W. and Henkel, D.J. (1962), The Measurement of Soil Properties in the Tri-axial Test, Edward Arnold (Publishers) Ltd., London, UK.
- Code IS 875 (Part 2) (1987), "Indian Standard code of practice for design loads (other than earthquake) for buildings and structures, part 2, imposed loads", Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- Code IS 1893 (Part 1) (2002), "Criteria for Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures (Part 1: General Provisions And Buildings) (Fifth Revision)", Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- Edgers, Lewis, Sanayei, Masoud and Alonge, Joseph L. (2005), "Modeling the effects of soil-structure interaction on a tall building bearing on a mat foundation", Civ. Eng. Practice: J. Boston Soc. Civ. En. Sec., ASCE, Fall/Winter, 51-68.
- Garg, Vivek and Hora, M.S. (2012), "Interaction effect of space frame-strap footing-soil system on forces in superstructure", ARPN J. Eng. Appl. Sci., 7(11), 1402-1415.
- Hora, M. (2006), "Nonlinear interaction analysis of infilled building frame-soil system", J. Struct. Eng., 33(4), 309-318.
- Jain, D.K. and Hora, M.S. (2015), "Analysis of settlements of space frame-shear wall-soil system under seismic forces", Earthq. Struct., 8(5), 1255-1276. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.5.1255
- Mylonakis, G. and Gazetas, G. (2000), "Seismic soil-structure interaction: Beneficial or detrimental?", J. Earthq. Eng., 4(3), 277-301.
- Natarajan, K. and Vidivelli, B. (2009), "Effect of column spacing on the behaviour of frame-raft and soil systems", J. Appl. Sci., 9(20), 3629-3640. https://doi.org/10.3923/jas.2009.3629.3640
- Noorzaei, J., Viladkar, M.N. and Godbole, P.N. (1995), "Elasto-plastic analysis for soil-structure interaction in framed structures", Comput. Struct., 55(5), 797-807. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(94)00432-3
- Renzi, Stefano, Madiai, Claudia and Vannucchi, Giovanni (2013), "A simplified empirical method for assessing seismic soil-structure interaction effects on ordinary shear-type buildings", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 55(2013), 100-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2013.09.012
- Shakib, H. and Atefatdoost, G.R. (2011), "Effect of soil-structure interaction on torsional response of asymmetrical wall type systems", Procedia Eng., Elsevier, 14(2011), 1729-1736. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.07.217
- Stavridis, L.T. (2002), "Simplified analysis of layered soil-structure interaction", J. Struct. Eng. Div., ASCE, 128(2), 224-230. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:2(224)
- Tabatabaiefar, S., Hamid, Reza, Fatahi, Behzad and Samali, Bijan (2013), "Lateral seismic response of building frames considering dynamic soil-structure interaction effects", Struct. Eng. Mech., 45(3), 311-321. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.45.3.311
- Thangaraj, D.D. and Ilamparuthi, K. (2010), "Parametric study on performance of raft foundation with interaction of frame", EJGE, 15(H), 861-878.
- Yahyai, Mahmoud, Mirtaheri, Masoud, Mahoutian, Mehrab and Daryan, Amir (2008), "Soil structure interaction between two adjacent buildings under earthquake load", Am. J. Eng. Appl. Sci., 1(2), 121-125. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajeassp.2008.121.125