- Volume 58 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Assessment of Ecological Streamflow for Maintaining Good Ecological Water Environment
수생태 환경유지를 위한 하천생태유량 산정
Jung, Chung-Gil;Lee, Ji-Wan;Ahn, So-Ra;Hwang, Soon-Jin;Kim, Seong-Joon
- Received : 2016.01.07
- Accepted : 2016.04.11
- Published : 2016.05.31
The objective of this study is to analyze the relationship between stream water quality of TN (total nitrogen), TP (total phosphorus), and BOD (Biochemical Oxygen Demand) and TDI (Trophic Diatom Index) score determined by physico-chemical factors, biomass, and standing crops of epilithic diatoms, and to estimate the required amount of ecological streamflow for good water environment of Trophic Diatom. For the main stream of Chungju dam watershed of South Korea, total 100 field data of 3 years (2008~2010) measured in May and September were used to derive the relationship between water quality and TDI. Trophic Diatom had high correlation (0.55 determination coefficient) with TN. Using the relationship, the required streamflow was evaluated by using the Soil Water Assessment Tool (SWAT) for good Trophic Diatom water environment through T-N water quality maintenance. The SWAT simulated 8 years (2003~2010) stream discharges and T-N water quality along the main stream. From present garde C (score range: 30.0~45.0) to grade A (score above 60.0) of TDI, the May needs additional streamflow of
Correlation analysis;Ecological streamflow;Epilithic diatom;SWAT;TDI (Trophic Diatom Index);Total nitrogen
- Bovee, K.D., 1982. A guide to stream habitat analysis using the instream flow incremental methodology. Instream Flow Information 12, U.S Fish and Wildlife Service, Office of Biological Services, FWS/OBS-82/26, Fort Collins, Colorado.
- Cabecinha, E., R. Cortes, J. Cabral, T. Ferreira, M. Lourenco, and M. Pardal. 2009. Multiscale approach using phytoplankton as a first step towards the definition of the ecological status of reservoirs. Ecological Indicators 9(2): 240-255. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2008.04.006
- Choi, H.S., 2008. Effect on water quality and fish habitat improvement of Wonju Cheon by instream flow increasing. Journal of Wetlands Research 10(3): 57-68 (in Korean).
- Choi H.S., and S.M. Kim. 2013. Optimization of channel structure for fish habitat suitability enhancement. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association, 46(3): 267-276 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2013.46.3.267
- Domingues, R., and H. Galvao. 2007. Phytoplankton and environmental variability in a dam regulated temperate estuary. Hydrobiologia 586(1): 117-134. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10750-006-0567-4
- Galloway, J.N., F.J. Dentener, D.G. Capone, E.W. Boyer, R.W. Howarth, S.P. Seitzinger, G.P. Asner, C.C. Cleveland, P.A. Green, E.A. Holland, D.M. Karl, A.F. Michaels, J.H. Porter, A.R. Townsend, and C.J. Vorosmarty. 2004. Nitrogen cycle: past, present and future. Biogeochemistry 70: 153-226. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10533-004-0370-0
- Hotzel, G., and R. Croome. 1999. A phytoplankton methods manual for australian freshwaters. LWRRDC Occasional paper 22/99.
- Hwang, S.J., N.Y. Kim, D.H. Won, K.K. An, J.K. Lee, and C.S. Kim. 2009. Biological assessment of water quality by using e[ilithic diatoms in major river systems (Geum, Youngsan, Seomjin river), Korea. Journal of The Korean Society on Water Quality 22(5): 784-795 (in Korean).
- Jeong, S.M., J.H. Lee, D.H. Kim, and K.R. Oh. 2007. Estimation of optimum flow needed for fish habitat by application of one and two dimensional physical habitat simulation model focused on Zacco Platypus. Journal of The Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation 8(1): 117-123 (in Korean).
- Jung, C.G., S.R. Ahn, S.J. Kim, H.J. Yang, H.J. Lee, and G.A. Park. 2013. HSPF and SWAT modelling for identifying runoff reduction effect of nonpoint soruce pollution by rice straw mulching on upland crops. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 55(2): 57-57 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2013.55.6.057
- Jung, J.W., 2005. Assessmenf of nonpoint source pollution loads from a subwatershed in Juam lake using SWAT model. Master's. D. thesis, Chonnam National University (in Korean).
- Jung, S.W., S.H. Park, and J.H. Lee. 2008. Environmental studies in the lower part of the Han river IIX. assessment for water qualtiy using epilithic diatom assemblage index to organic water pollution (DAIpo) in dry season. Korean J. Envirn. Biol. 26(3): 233-239 (in Korean).
- Kelly, M.G., and B.A. Whitton. 1995. The trophic diatom index: a new index for monitoring eutrophication in rivers. Journal of Applied Phycology 7(1): 433-444. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00003802
- Kim, K.H., S.M. Kim, S.H. Lee, and H. Woo. 1996b. Development of a method for determining the instream flow and its application : II. Application and Result. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 29(5): 185-202 (in Korean).
- Kim, K.H., J.W. Lee, I.P. Hong, and H. Woo. 1996a. Development of a method for determining the instream flow and its application : I. Estimation Method. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 29(4): 161-176 (in Korean).
- Kim, S.J., H.S. Nor, S.J. Hong, J.W. Kwak, and H.S. Kim. 2013. Impact of climate change on habitat of the Rhynchocypris Kumgangensis in Pyungchang river. Korean Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 12(4): 289-297 (in Korean).
- Kim, T.J., and O.M. Lee. 2009. Assessment of water quality in the Sum-river and the Dal-stream using epilithic diatom-based indices. Journal of Korean Society on Water Quality 25(4): 606-614 (in Korean).
- Kim, Y.J. 2009. Structure of epiphytic diatom communities at the Banwol high and low wetlands in the Shiwha constructed wetland. Korean J. Limnol. 42(1): 95-106 (in Korean).
- Kim, Y.J., K.A. Shin, and O,M, Lee. 2009. Water quality assessed by DAIpo and TDI of Bokha stream and Dal stream in South-Han river. Korean J.Environ. Biol. 27(4): 414-242 (in Korean).
- K-water, 1995. Development of a Method for Determining the Instream Flow and Its Application. Research Report IPD-95-2 (in Korean).
- Lee J.H., S.M., Jeong, M.H. Lee, and Y.S. Lee. 2006. Estimation of instream flow for fish habitat using instream flow incremental methodology (IFIM) for major tributaries in Han river basin. Journal of Korean Society of Civil Engineers 26(2B): 153-160 (in Korean).
- Lee, J.H., and Y.J. Kim. 1996. Epilithic diatoms and trophic states of dam lakes in the Naktong river system. Korean J. Environ. Biol. 14(1): 18-28 (in Korean).
- Nash, J.E., and Sutcliffe, J.E. 1970. River flow forecasting through conceptual models, Part I-A discussion of principles. Journal of Hydrology 10(3): 282-290. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1694(70)90255-6
- National Institute of Environmental Research, 2012. Nitrogen budget of South Korea and management plan (in Korean).
- National Institute of Environmental Research. 2013. Nationwide aquatic ecological monitoring program (in Korean).
- Neitsch, S.L., J.G. Arnold, J.R. Kiniry, and J.R. Williams. 2001. Soil and water assessment tool theoretical documentation version 2000: Draft-April 2001. Temple, TX, USA: Grassland, Soil and Water Research Laboratory, Agricultural Research Service, Blackland Research Center, Texas Agricultural Experiment Station, Texas.
- Park B.J., K.H. Kang, and K.S. Jung. 2008. Hydrologic regime alteration analysis of the multi-purpose dam by indicators of hydrologic alterations. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 41(7): 711-723 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2008.41.7.711
- Park, J.Y., 2009. Assessment of future climate change impact on hydrological behavior and stream water quality using SWAT model. Master's. D. thesis, Konkuk University (in Korean).
- Park, J.Y., M.S. Lee, Y.J. Lee, and S.J. Kim. 2008. The analysis of future land use change impact on hydrology and water quality using SWAT model. Korean Society of Civil Engineers 28(2b): 187-197 (in Korean).
- Park S., J. Kim and I.H. Ko. 2009. Evaluation of ecohydrological changes in the Geum river considering dam operations : II. Hydraulic Fish Habitat Condition Analysis. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association, 42(5): 407-414 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2009.42.5.407
- Saxton, K.E., W.J. Rawls, J.S. Romberger, and R.I. Papendick. 1986. Estimating generalized soil-water characteristics from texture. Soil Science Society of America Journal 50(4): 1031-1036. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1986.03615995005000040039x
- Choi, J.Y., 2002. Management of nonpoint pollution by reducing storm runoff, RE03. Korea Environment Institute (in Korean).
- Sung, Y.D., B.J. Park, K.J. Koo, and K.S. Jung. 2005. The estimation of ecological flow recommendations for fish habitat. Journal of Korea Water Resources Association 38(7): 545-554 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.3741/JKWRA.2005.38.7.545
- U.S. EPA. 2002. Biological Assessments and Criteria: Crucial Components of Water Quality Programs.
- Watanabe, T., K. Asai, and A. Houki. 1990. Numerical simulation of organic pollution in flowing water. Hazardous Waste Containment and Treatment 4: 251-281.
- Watanabe, T., K. Asai, A. Houki, S. Tanaka, and T. Hizka. 1986. Saprophilous and eurysaprobic diatom taxa to organic water pollution and diatom assemblage index (DAIpo). Diatom 2: 23-73.
- Watanabe, T., T. Ohtzsuka, A. Tuji, and A. Houki. 2005. Picture book and ecology of the freshwater diatoms. Uchida rokako, Tokyo.
- Woo, H., J.W. Lee, and K.H. Kim. 1998. Development of a method for determination of instream flow needs required for fish habitat conservation -application to the Keum river-. Journal of The Korean Society of Civil Engineers 18(2-4): 339-350 (in Korean).
Supported by : 국토교통부