- Volume 58 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Leaching Behavior of Arsenic and Heavy-Metals and Treatment Effects of Steel Refining Slag in a Reducing Environment of Paddy Soil
논토양의 환원환경에서 비소 및 중금속의 용출특성과 제강슬래그의 처리효과
- Yun, Sung-wook ;
- Yu, Chan ;
- Yoon, Yong-Cheol ;
- Kang, Dong-Hyeon ;
- Lee, Si-Young ;
- Son, Jinkwan ;
- Kim, Dong-Hyeon
- Received : 2016.04.08
- Accepted : 2016.05.02
- Published : 2016.05.31
There have been only a few studies focused on the stabilization of metal (loid)s in anaerobic soils such as paddy soils. In this study, laboratory-scale column tests were conducted to artificially manipulate anoxic conditions in submerged paddy fields and we observed the release behavior of As, Cd, Pb, and Zn, as well as to examine the stabilization effect of steel refining slag (SRS) on the metal(loid)s. The leachate samples were collected and chemical parameters were monitored during the test period. Results suggest that anoxic conditions were developed during submersion, and that As or heavy metals (particularly Cd) fractions bound to ferrous (Fe) /manganese (Mn) oxides were easily dissociated. Moreover, As is also reduced by itself to a trivalent form with higher mobility in the reducing environment of rice paddy soil. However, it was also shown that SRS significantly decreased the dissolution of Zn, Pb, Cd, and As in the the leachates; their removal rates in the SRS-treated soil were 66 %, 45 %, 24 %, and 84 %, respectively, of those in the control soil.
arsenic;heavy-metal;paddy;stabilization;Steel refining slag
- Abrahams, P. W. 2002. Soils: their implications to human health. Science of the Total Environment 22(2002): 1-32.
- Abreu, M. M., M. J. Matias, F. Clara, M. Magalhacs, and M. J. Basto, 2008. Impacts on water, soil and plants from the abandoned Miguel Vacas copper mine, Portugal. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 96(2-3): 161-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gexplo.2007.04.012
- Ahn, B. K., J. H. Lee, K. C. Kim, H. G. Kim, S. S. Jeong, H. W. Jeon, and Y. S. Zhang, 2012. Changes in Chemical Properties of Paddy Field Soils as Influenced by Regional Topography in Jeonbuk Province. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 45(3): 393-398 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.3.393
- Appel, C., and L. Ma, 2002. Concentration, pH, and surface charge effects on cadmium and lead sorption in three tropical soils. J. Environ. Qual. 31(2): 581-589. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2002.0581
- Batista, M. J., M. M. Abreu, and M. Serrano, 2007. Biogeochemistry in Neves-Corvo mining area, Iberian Pyrite Belt, Portugal. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 92(2): 159-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gexplo.2006.08.004
- Biterna, M., A. Arditsoglou, E. Tsikouras, and D. Voutsa, 2007. Arsenate removal by zero valent iron: Batch and column tests. Journal of Hazardous Materials 149(3): 548-552. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.06.084
- Boivin, P., F. Favre, C. Hammecker, J. L. Maeght, J. Delariviere, J. C. Poussin, and M. C. S. Wopereis, 2002. Processes driving soil solution chemistry in a flooded rice-cropped vertisol: analysis of long time monitoring data. Geoderma 110(1-2): 87-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-7061(02)00226-4
- Brevik, E. C. and L. C. Burgess, 2014. The Influence of Soils on Human Health. Nature Education Knowledge 5(12): 1.
- Burton, E. D., R. T. Bush, L. A. Sullivan, S. G. Johnston, and R. K. Hocking, 2008. Mobility of arsenic and selected metals during re-flooding of iron- and organic-rich acidsulfate soil. Chem. Geol. 253(1-2): 64-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2008.04.006
- Hall, G.E.M., G. Gauthier, J. C. Pelchat, P. Pelchat, and J. E. Vaive, 1996. Application of a sequential extraction scheme to ten geological certified reference materials for the determination of 20 elements. J. Anal. At. Spectrom. 11(9): 787-796. https://doi.org/10.1039/ja9961100787
- Hindersmann, I. and T. Mansfeldt, 2014. Trace element solubility in a multimetal contaminated soil as affected by redox conditions. Water Air Soil Pollut. 225(2014): 2258.
- Huang, X., Y., Zhu, and H. Ji, 2013. Distribution, speciation, and risk assessment of selected metals in the gold and iron mine soils of the catchment area of Miyun Reservoir, Beijing, China. Environ Monit Assess 185(10): 8525-8545. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-013-3193-4
- Janos, P., J. Vavrova, L. Herzogova, and V. Pilarova, 2010. Effects of inorganic and organic amendments on the mobility (leachability) of heavy metals in contaminated soil: A sequential extraction study. Geoderma 159: 335-341. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2010.08.009
- Jun, K. S. and S. E. Oh, 2002. Chemical fixation of heavy metal in contaminated soil from abandoned mine land. KSCE. J. Civil Engin. 22: 67-80 (in Korean).
- Jung, M. C., J. S. Ahn, and H. T. Chon, 2001. Environmental contamination and sequential extraction of trace elements from mine wastes around various metalliferous mines in Korea. Geosystem Eng. 4: 50-60. https://doi.org/10.1080/12269328.2001.10541168
- Kogel-Knabner I., W. Amelung, Z. Cao, S. Fiedler, P. Frenzel, R. Jahn, K. Kalbitz, A. Kolbl, and M. Schloter, 2010. Biogeochemistry of paddy soils. Geoderma 157: 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2010.03.009
- Koh, I. H., E.Y. Kim, W.H. Ji, D. G. Yoon, and Y. Y. Chang, 2015. The Fate of As and Heavy Metals in the Flooded Paddy Soil Stabilized by Limestone and Steelmaking Slag. J. Soil Groundw. Environ. 20: 7-18 (in Korean).
- Korea Ministry of Environment (KMoE), 20015b. Standard methods of water sampling and analysis. Sejong, Korea.
- Korea Ministry of Environment (KMoE), 2015a. Standard methods of soil sampling and analysis. Sejong, Korea.
- Korea Ministry of Environment (KMoE), 2016a. Soil Environment Conservation Act. Sejong, Korea.
- Korea Ministry of Environment (KMoE), 2016b. Water Quality Conservation Act. Sejong, Korea.
- Kumpiene, J., A. Lagerkvist, and C. Maurice, 2008. Stabilization of As, Cr, Cu, Pb and Zn in soil using amendments - A review. Waste Manage. 28: 215-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2006.12.012
- Lee, J. M., W. R. Go, A. Kunhikrishnan, J. H. Yoo, J. Y. Kim, D. H. Kim, W. I. Kim, 2012. Model development for estimating total arsenic contents with chemical properties and extractable heavy metal contents in paddy soils. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert 45: 920-924 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.6.920
- Lee, J. W., 2007. Study on the management of abandoned metal mines after restoration. Master Thesis. Kwangwoon University, Korea.
- Liao, X. Y., T. B. Chen, H. Xie, and Y. R. Liu, 2005. Soil As contamination and its risk assessment in areas near the industrial districts of Chenzhou City, Southern China, Environ. Int. 31: 791-798. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envint.2005.05.030
- Liu, B., D. Qu, X. Chen, Q. Li, and L. Peng, 2013. Effects of flooding and ferrhydrite on copper fractionation in paddy soil. Procedia Environmental Sciences 18: 135-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proenv.2013.04.018
- Liu, C. P., C. L. Luo, Y. Gao, F. B. Li, L. W. Lin, C. A. Wu, and X. D. Li, 2010. Arsenic contamination and po- tential health risk implications at an abandoned tungsten mine, Southern China. Environ. Pollut. 158: 820-826. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2009.09.029
- Liu, H., A. Probst, and B. Liao, 2005. Metal contamination of soils and crops affected by the Chenzhou lead/zinc mine spill (Hunan, China). Sci Total Environ 339: 153-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2004.07.030
- Meharg, A. A. and Zhao, F. J., 2012, Arsenic & Rice, Springer, Dordrecht, Heidelberg, London, New York, p. 74
- Minamikawa, K. and N. Sakai, 2005. The effect of water management based on soil redox potential on methane emission from two kinds of paddy soils in Japan. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 107: 397-407. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agee.2004.08.006
- Naidu, R., R. S. Kookana, M. E. Summer, R. D. Harter, and K. G. Tiller, 1997. Cadmium sorption and transport in variable charge soils: a review. J. Environ. Qual. 26: 602-617.
- NIST, 2000. Methods of soil chemical analysis. National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology (RDA), Jeonju, Korea.
- Ok, Y. S., A. R. Usman, S. S. Lee, S. A. Abd El-Azeem, B. Choi, Y. Hashimoto, and J. E. Yang, 2011. Effects of rapeseed residue on lead and cadmium availability and uptake by rice plants in heavy metal contaminated paddy soil. Chemosphere 85: 677-682. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2011.06.073
- Park, D. H., Y. C. Cho, and S. I. Choi, 2010. The laboratory column examination of stabilization for agricultural land contaminated by heavy metals using sequential stabilization. Journal of Soil and Groundwater Environment 15: 39-45 (in Korea).
- Sahrawat, K. L., 2003. Organic matter accumulation in submerged soils. Adv. Agron. 81: 169-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2113(03)81004-0
- Schultz, M. F., M. M. Benjamin, and J. F. Ferguson, 1987. Adsorption and desorption of metals on ferrihydrite: reversibility of the reaction and sorption properties of the regenerated solid: Environ. Sci. Technol. 21: 863-869. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00163a003
- Suda, A. and T. Makino, 2015. Functional effects of manganese and iron oxides on the dynamics of trace elements in soils with a special focus on arsenic and cadmium: A review. Geoderma 270, 68-75.
- Takahashi, Y., R. Minamikawa, K. H. Hattori, K. Kurishima, N. Kihou, and K. Yuita, 2004. Arsenic behavior in paddy fields during the cycle of flooded and non-flooded periods. Environ. Sci. Techol. 38: 1038-1044. https://doi.org/10.1021/es034383n
- Thornton, I. 1996. Impacts of mining on the environment; some local, regional and global issues. Applied Geochemistry 11: 355-361. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-2927(95)00064-X
- Ure, A. M., P. H. Quevauviller, H. Muntau, and B. Griepink, 1993. An account of the improvement and harmonization of extraction techniques undertaken under the auspices of the BCR of the commission of the European communities. J. Environ. Anal. Chem. 51: 135-145. https://doi.org/10.1080/03067319308027619
- Vodyanitskii, Yu. N., and I. O. Plekhanova, 2014. Biogeochemistry of heavy metals in contaminated excessively moistened soils. Eurasian Soil Science 47: 153-161. https://doi.org/10.1134/S1064229314030090
- Xian, X. 1989. Effect of chemical forms of cadmium, zinc, and lead in polluted soils on their uptake by cabbage plants. Plant and Soil 113: 257-264. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02280189
- Yun, S. W. and C. Yu, 2015. The leaching characteristics of Cd, Zn, and As from submerged paddy soil and the effect of limestone treatment. Paddy and Water Environment 13: 61-69. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10333-013-0407-x
- Yun, S. W., S. I. Kang, H. G. Jin, H. J. Kim, and C. Yu, 2011. Leaching characteristics of arsenic and heavy netals and stabilization effects of limestone and steel refining slag in a reducing environment of flooded paddy soil, J. Agric. Life Sci. 45(6): 251-263 (in Korean).
- Yun, S.W., and C. Yu, 2012. Changes in Phytoavailability of Heavy Metals by Application of Limestone in the Farmland Soil nearby Abandoned Metal Mine and the Accumulation of Heavy Metals in Crops. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 54(3): 1-9 (in Korean).
Supported by : 농촌진흥청