- Volume 58 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Changes in Soil Water Content and Drainage Characteristics with Superabsorbent Polymers Amendment
고흡수성 수지 처리에 따른 토양 수분 함량과 배수 특성 변화
Yun, Tae-Kang;Son, Young-Hwan;Park, Jae-Sung;Kim, Dong-Geun
- Received : 2016.04.23
- Accepted : 2016.05.10
- Published : 2016.05.31
Superabsorbent Polymers (SAPs) are hydrophilic synthetic polymers which could absorb water by hundreds of their own weight. They are used for multiple purpose including hygienic goods, soil conditioners, and hospital supplies. It is necessary to investigate the standard of their use including the amendment rate for soil application in agricultural fields. It is also important to understand their effects on the soil water content and engineering characteristics. The objective of this study is to find the water absorbing capacity and reusability of SAPs, and the characteristics of water release and effect of them on soil water content and engineering characteristics. In the result, SAPs per unit weight (1 g) used for this research could absorb about 200 g of water in max. The water absorbing capacity decreased after SAPs were used repeatedly. Released water of SAPs could provide the soils with about 9 % of the soil water content. Soil water content increased with decreasing distance from the SAPs. The distance of release was spreaded out with increasing water absorbed of SAPs. Finally, when a drainage and the capacity of soil water content were considered, it is recommended to amend the SAPs with soil by less than 0.25 %.
Superabsorbent Polymers;Soil water content;Water absorbing capacity;Water release
- Adams, J. C., and B. G. Lockaby, 1987. Commercial Produced Super Absorbent Material Increases Water-holding Capacity of Soil Medium. Tree Planters Notes 38: 24-25.
- Akhter, J., K. Mahmood, K. A. Malik, A. Mardan, M. Ahmad, and M. M. Iqbal, 2004. Effects of Hydrogel Amendment on Water Storage of Sandy Loam and Loam Soils and Grainling Growth of Barley, Wheat and Chickpea. Plant Soil Environment 50: 463-469. https://doi.org/10.1080/00380768.2004.10408501
- Ahn, K. D., and M. J. Yoon, 2014. Preparation and Characterization of Bead Type Superabsorbent Resin. The Polymer Society of Korea 38(6): 760-766 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.7317/pk.2014.38.6.760
- An, J. S., and K. J. Yoon, 1999. Application of Superabsorbent Polymers to Soil. Polymer Science and Technology, ed. D. W. Son, 10(2): 215-223. Seoul, Korea.: TKSP. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1581(199904)10:4<215::AID-PAT864>3.0.CO;2-5
- Bakass, M., A. Mokhlisse, and M. Lallemant, 2000. Absorption and Desorption of Liquid Water by a Superabsorbent Polymer: Effect of Polymer in the Drying of the Soil and the Quality of Certain Plants. Journal of Applied Polymer Science 83: 234-243.
- Cha, G. C., J. S. Song, and S. M. Lee, 2012. Study on the Characteristics of the Absorbency Silicone by Super Absorbent Polymers. Elastomers and Composites 47(2): 141-147 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.7473/EC.2012.47.2.141
- Cho, H. R., Y.S. Zhang, K.H. Han, H.J. Cho, J.H. Ryu, K.Y. Jung, K.R Cho, A.S. Ro, S.J. Lim, S.C. Choi, J.I. Lee, W.K. Lee, B.K Ahn, B.H. Kim, C.Y. Kim, J.H. Park, S.H. Hyun, 2012. Soil Physical Properties of Arable Land by Land Use Across the Country. Korean Society of Soil Sciences and Fertilizer 45(3): 344-352 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.3.344
- Choi, S. K., J. Y. Choi, W. H. Nam, S. O. Hur, H. J. Kim, S. O. Chung, K. H. Han, 2012. Uniformity Assessment of Soil Moisture Redistribution for Drip Irrigation. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 54(3): 19-28 (in Korean).
- El-Hady, O. A., and S. A. Wanas, 2006. Water and Fertilizer Use Efficiency by Cucumber Grown under Stress on Sandy Soil Treated with Acrylamide Hydrogels. J. Applied Sciences Res 2: 1293-1297.
- Kang, P. H., 2015. 2015 Technical Descriptions of Commercialization Promising Technology; The production of Environment-friendly Superabsorbent Polymers, 3-4. KAERI. Daejeon, Korea: Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute.
- Kim, J. H., D. K. Oh, and Y. H. Yoon, 2013. Effects of Super Absorbent Polymer on the Growth of Vine Plants. Journal of Environmental Science International 22(7): 801-810 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2013.22.7.801
- Kim, M. Y., Y. H. Choi, S. B. Lee, H. J. Kim, S. H. Kim, Y. J. Kim, 2015. Polyacrylamide, Its Beneficial Application of Soil Erosion Control from Sloped Agricultural Fields. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 57(5): 123-128 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5389/KSAE.2015.57.5.123
- Kim, S. W., 2015. Effect of Combination Treatment of Soil Bacteria, Rockwool and Super Absorbent Polymer on the Growth of Crop. Ph.D. diss., ChunCheon, Korea.: Kangwon National University (in Korea).
- Korea Occupational Safety & Health Agency, 2010. Material Safety Data Sheet. Seoul, Korea.
- Kyung, J. H., W. S. Son, N. J. Noh, M. J. Yi, C. Y. Lee, and H. J. Youn, 2006. Articles : Changes in Growth and Nutrient Contents of Populus Alba Var. Pyramidalis Teated with Fertilizers and Absorbents in an Arid Region of China. J. Korean Forest Society 95(6): 751-758 (in Korean).
- Lee, S. M., Y. S. Kim, K. S. Oh, Y. I. Yang, and Y. H. Kim, 2015. High Absorbent Resin and Method for Preparing of Same, 10-2015-0064712.
- Nam, W. H., E. M. Hong, M. W. Jang, J. Y. Choi, 2014. Projection of Consumptive Use and Irrigation Water for Major Upland Crops using Soil Moisture Model under Climate Change. Journal of the Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers 56(5): 77-87 (in Korean).
- National Institute of Agricultural Sciences, 2007. The Technology of Water Management to Upland Crops for Effective Utilization of Agricultural Water, 25. Jeonbuk, Jeonju, Korea.
- National Institute of Environmental Research, 2016. International Chemical Safety Cards. Gwacheon, Gyeonggi, Korea.
- Sarvas, M., P. Pavlenda, and E. Takacova, 2007. Effect of Hydrogel Application on Survival and Growth of Pine Grainling in Reclamations. J. Forest Sci 53: 204-209.
- Siriwatwechakul, W., J. Siramanont, and W. VichitVadakan, 2010. Superabsorbent Polymer Structures. International RILEM Conference on Use of Superabsorbent Polymers and Other New Additives in Concrete, 253-262. Lyngby, Danmark.: RILEM.
- Sivapalan, S., 2001. Effect of a Polymer on Growth and Yiled of Soybeans (Glycine Max) Grown in a Coarse Textured Soil. Irrigation 2001 Regional Conference, 93-99. Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia.: IAA.
- Yang, L., Y. Yang, Z. Chen, C. Guo, and S. Li, 2014. Influence of Super Absorbent Polymer on Soil Water Retention, Seed Germination and Plant Survivals for Rocky Slopes Eco-engineering. Ecological Engineering 62: 27-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2013.10.019
Supported by : 농림축산식품부, 한국연구재단