- Volume 20 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Rake Receiver Based on Bit Error Rate of Training Sequence Duration for Underwater Acoustic Communication
수중음향통신을 위한 훈련 신호 구간의 비트 오차율에 기반한 레이크 수신기
- Son, Ji-hong (Department of Radio Communication Engineering, Korea Maritime and Ocean University) ;
- Kim, Ki-man (Department of Radio Communication Engineering, Korea Maritime and Ocean University)
- Received : 2016.02.19
- Accepted : 2016.03.18
- Published : 2016.05.31
In the underwater acoustic communication channels, a multipath reflection becomes the cause of obstacle. To solve this problem, a rake receiver has been required for which one could take the time diversity. However, there is a concern about using incorrect path to recover signals with a high weighting value as underwater acoustic communication channels have severe time-variant property. In order to prevent these problem, a rake receiver is proposed which is based on BER(bit error rate) train sequence duration. The performance is evaluated through lake trials; there are three methods that are a proposed rake receiver, a conventional rake receiver, and a non-rake receiver. As a result, the number of bit errors in the proposed rake receiver, that of bit errors in the conventional rake receiver, and that of bit errors in the non-rake receiver is 8, 45, and 72, respectively.
- X. Lurton, An Introduction to Underwater Acoustics: Principles and Applications, Berlin, Springer, 2002.
- F. B. Jensen, W.A. Kuperman, M.B. Porter, and H. Schmidt, Computational Ocean Acoustics, Woodbury : NY, AIP Press, 1994.
- L. Brekhovskikh and Y. Lysanov, Fundamentals of Ocean Acoustics, New York : NY, Springer-Verlag, 1982.
- R.J. Urick., Principles of Underwater Sound, New York : NY, McGraw-Hill, 1983.
- Bernard Sklar, Digital Communications: Fundamentals and Applications, 2nd Edition, Upper Saddle River : NJ, Prentice Hall, 2001.
- K.M. Krishna, A. Mitra and C. Ardil, "A simplified single correlator rake receiver for CDMA communications," International Journal of Electrical, Computer, Energetic, Electronic and Communication Engineering, vol.4, no.2, pp.381-384, Feb. 2010.
- F. Blackmon, E. Sozer, M. Stojanovic, and J. Proakis, "Performance comparison of RAKE and hypothesis feedback direct sequence," Proc. MTS/IEEE Oceans, vol.1, pp.594-603, Oct. 2002.
- T.C. Yang and Wen-Bin Yang, "Low probability of detection underwater acoustic communications using direct-sequence spread spectrum," J. Acoust. Soc. Amer, vol.124, no.6, pp.3632-3647, Dec. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.2996329
- B.S. Sharif, J. Neasham, O.R. Hinton and A.E. Adams, "Computationally efficient doppler compensation system for underwater acoustic communications," IEEE J. Oceanic Eng., vol.25, no.1, pp.52-61, Jan. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/48.820736
- Simon Haykin, Adaptive Filter Theory: 4th Edition, Prentice Hall, 2001.
- Neptune Sonar Limited. Broad-band spherical projectors. Omni-directional Neptune D/17/BB [Internet]. Available: http://www.neptune-sonar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Model-D17BB.pdf.
- Bruel & Kjaer. Sound & Vibration Measurement A/S. Type 8106 Hydrophone. [Internet]. Available: http://www.bksv.com/Products/transducers/acoustic/hydrophones/8106.