- Volume 41 Issue 2
Yield management, which originated from the U.S. service industry, uses pricing techniques and information systems to make demand management decisions. Demand uncertainty is an important factor in the area of demand management. A key strategy to reduce the effects of demand uncertainty is substitution. The most generally known type of substitution is inventory-driven substitution, in which consumers substitute an out-of-stock product by buying a similar or other type of product. Another type of substitution is the price-driven substitution, which occurs as a result of price changes. In this research, we consider two market segments that have unique perishable products. We develop yield management optimization models with stochastic demand based on the newsvendor model where inventory-driven and price-driven substitutions are allowed between products in the two market segments. The most significant contribution of this research is that it develops analytical procedures to determine optimal solutions and considers both types of substitution. We also provide detailed theoretical analysis and numerical examples.
Pricing;Substitution;Service Industry;Yield Management
- Baek, J.-G., C.O. Kim, and J. Jin, "Adaptive inventory control models in a supply chain with nonstationary customer demand," Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, Vol.31, No.2(2005), pp.106-1119.
- Cho, H.-R., J.-S. Yu, C.-N. Cha, and S.-K. Lim, "Analysis of pricing and efficiency control strategy between online and offline marketing channels," Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, Vol.27, No.2(2001), pp.181-189.
- Dong, L., P. Kouvelis, and Z. Tian, "Dynamic pricing and inventory control of substitutable products," Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, Vol.11, No.3(2009), pp.317-339. https://doi.org/10.1287/msom.1080.0221
- Dutta, P. and D. Chakraborty, "Incorporating one-way substitution policy into the newsboy problem with imprecise customer demand," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.200(2010), pp.99-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2008.12.011
- Ingold, A., Yeoman, I., and McMahon, U., "Yield Management: Strategies for the Service Industries," Int. Thomson Business Press, 2001 U.K.
- Lee, K.B., C.M. Joo, and W.-S. Lee, "Pricing quality and service mix strategies for portal sites providing various services," Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, Vol.28, No.3(2002), pp.291-301.
- Lee, K.-K. and Y.-S. Kim, "Dynamic clearance pricing policy for durable goods," Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, Vol.26, No.1(2000), pp.66-72.
- Lim, S.Y., S. Hur, and Y.J. Park, "Determination of economic inventory quantity under probabilistic demands and cancellation of orders in production system with two different production speeds," Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, Vol.40, No.3(2014), pp.313-320. https://doi.org/10.7232/JKIIE.2014.40.3.313
- Karakul, M. and L. Chan, "Analytical and managerial implications of integrating product substitutability in the joint pricing and procurement problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.190(2008), pp.179-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2007.06.026
- Karaesmen, I. and G. van Ryzin, "Overbooking with substitutable inventory classes," Operations Research, Vol.52, No.1(2004), pp.83-104. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.1030.0079
- Kim, S.-W., "A deterministic model for optimal pricing decisions with price-driven substitution," Journal of the Korean Operations Research and Management Science Society, Vol.33, No.1(2008), pp.1-17.
- Kim, E., "Optimal production controls in a two-stage production system with a component selling option," Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, Vol.41, No.5(2015), pp.447-452. https://doi.org/10.7232/JKIIE.2015.41.5.447
- Kocabiykoglu, A. and I. Popescu, "Revenue management with general stochastic pricesensitive demand," INSEAD Working Paper, France, 2007.
- Kuyumcu, H. and I. Popescu, "Deterministic price-inventory management for substitutable products," Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management, Vol.4(2006), pp.354-367. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.rpm.5170158
- Lus, B. and A. Muriel, "Measuring the impact of increased product substitution on pricing and capacity decisions under linear demand models," Production and Operations Management, Vol.18(2009), pp.95-113.
- Park, K., "A note on the stochastic comparison in production yield management," Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, Vol.40, No.5(2014), pp.477-480. https://doi.org/10.7232/JKIIE.2014.40.5.477
- Rao, U., J. Swaminathan, and J. Zhang, "Multi-product inventory planning with downward substitution stochastic demand and setup costs," IIE Transactions, Vol.36 (2004), pp.36-59.
- Shinn, S.-W. and C.-Y. Song, "An optimal ordering policy under the condition of a free addition," Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, Vol.26, No.1 (2000), pp.48-53.
- Shumsky, R. and F. Zhang, "Dynamic Capacity management with substitution," Operations Research, Vol.57(2009), pp.671-684. https://doi.org/10.1287/opre.1080.0610
- Son, J.-D., "Optimal switching strategy between admission control and pricing control in an M/M/1/K queuing system," Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, Vol.35, No.2(2009), pp.171-177.
- Sung, C.S. and S.H. Park, "A combined approach of pricing and (S-1, S) inventory policy in a two-echelon supply chain with lost sales allowed," Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers, Vol.30, No.2(2004), pp.146-158.
- Tang, C. and R. Yin, "Joint ordering and pricing strategies for managing substitutable products," Production and Operations Management, Vol.16, No.1(2007), pp.138-153. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.2007.tb00171.x
- Wang, L. and R. Kapuscinski, "Coordination and price flexibility for multiple products with price-based substitution," Business School, Working Paper, University of Miami, Florida, 2009.
- Won, Y., "Note : proof of the conjecture on the consistent advantage of the newsvendor model under progressive multiple discounts," Journal of the Korean Operations Research and Management Science Society, Vol.37, No.3(2012), pp.13-21. https://doi.org/10.7737/JKORMS.2012.37.3.013
- Won, Y., "Note: proof of the conjecture on the consistent advantage of the newsvendor model under progressive multiple discounts," Journal of the Korean Operations Research and Management Science Society, Vol.37, No.3(2012), pp.13-21. https://doi.org/10.7737/JKORMS.2012.37.3.013
- Yu, M., "Joint pricing and inventory decisions under resource constraints and pricebased substitution," Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management, Vol.14, No.1(2015), pp.19-27. https://doi.org/10.1057/rpm.2014.25
- Zhao, L., P. Tian, and L. Xiangyong, "Dynamic pricing in the presence of consumer inertia," The international Journal of Management Science-Omega, Vol.40, No.2(2012), pp.137-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2011.04.004
Supported by : 울산대학교